PDA

View Full Version : Buying a used dirtbike

02 Red Rider
03-30-2004, 07:30 AM
I am looking for a used CR250. When I go out and look at these bikes what should I look for as far as damage or maintenance?

I just don't want to end up buying someone elses problem 2 Stroke.

Thanks,

J

02 Red Rider
03-30-2004, 04:06 PM
Anybody?!?:confused: :(

I am going to look at a 2003 CR250 tommorrow and want to be prepared. It's stock, adult owned, bought in Mid-Sept 02, and well below Blue Book Retail Value. The guy says that he has never raced just run it on a nearby practice track. The guy is 45, no kids, and is selling it because of buying a 450F.

I know somebody know about 2 strokes and probably has some buying advice. I haven't owned a 2 stroke since my '87 KDX 200, things have changed alot.

Thanks,
J

sam the brave
03-30-2004, 04:18 PM
if ther is some greese like stuff on the airboxlid thata normal it is just from the pipe

03-30-2004, 04:22 PM
If you would, try looking for a used YZ426F.

Lots of used ones around, and they seriously kick ***.

02 Red Rider
03-30-2004, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by DarkManX
If you would, try looking for a used YZ426F.

Lots of used ones around, and they seriously kick ***.

They are nice. A buddy of mine has one that I could probably buy right now, but I am really partial to the 2-Stroke Rip rather than the smooth roll of power.

Thanks,
J

hondafox440
03-30-2004, 04:33 PM
Check the bearings (wheel, headset, linkage, shock, swingarm) for play. See how much compression it has. See how true the wheels are. See how much spooge is on/in/around the pipe and silencer. If you can, check the air filter (to see how clean it is). Make sure you ride it to see how the clutch is working and how well it shifts.

Just remember, just because a bike looks nice (new plastics and graphics) doesn't mean it is in good shape..

02 Red Rider
03-30-2004, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by hondafox440
Check the bearings (wheel, headset, linkage, shock, swingarm) for play. See how much compression it has. See how true the wheels are. See how much spooge is on/in/around the pipe and silencer. If you can, check the air filter (to see how clean it is). Make sure you ride it to see how the clutch is working and how well it shifts.

Just remember, just because a bike looks nice (new plastics and graphics) doesn't mean it is in good shape..

Awesome. Exactly the kind of advice I was looking for.

Thanks,
J

Bobbs07
03-30-2004, 07:29 PM
Cr250s are awesome bikes.. Mine was a 2000 and stock rebuild lasted 3 years with the proper maintnence.. grab the back wheel and shake it and look for looseness, Do a compression test also, the only drawback for me of 2 strokes is rebuilding them, i hate it:grr: but like i said, i was surprised how long mine lasted, and the f****r Cranks!:macho