PDA

View Full Version : my nuts are out of control!!!

xrracer36
03-30-2004, 07:03 AM
the axel nut and lock-nut on my 400ex axcalibur keep going loose on me. we'll tighten them as much as we can get them before a day of racing, but at the end of the day, we'll check, and they have a little play in them (the sprocket and brake hubs gain play, too, because the axel nut is loose. we tighten it, and they tighten right back up.)
i would assume that it is the stock axel nut.
and the last time it happened, we not only taped them up real good, but we used blue lock-tite on them.
any ideas, advice, suggestions?
i know dura-blue makes a 3-piece locknut thing for like $66 (the "anti-fade" locknut is way too much for me to spend @ $280!!!:huh )
-OH*** the rear caliper stay (the piece that the rear caliper bolts to, that goes around the axel, next to the swingarm) has some play in it, and when the rear brakes are hit, you can hear a "donk" as the brakes grab the disk, and the caliper rocks forward about a cm because of the play in the caliper stay. do you thik this would have anythig to do with loosening up the nuts? i am replacing it, so we'll see. stupid part was $70!!!:eek2:
.. and yes, i already tried replacing just the bushing on the stay before spending the $70. it's just the stay that's worn.

racer36

oh, ps... i got my first win of the season saturday night!!! :macho :blah: :D :cool: :macho

Pappy
03-30-2004, 07:05 AM
get yourself a dual pinch lock nut and your problems will be solved;) i believe they sell for around $40

xrracer36
03-30-2004, 07:06 AM
wow, that didn't take long. who sells the dual pinch locknuts?
is my problem a common problem with the stock nuts on aftermarket axels or something???

thanks
:D

Pappy
03-30-2004, 07:08 AM
Our site sponsor stocks them and they are also available at most atv aftermarket retailers.

the stock lock nut works up to teh point you take it off the first time, then its never seems to wanna hold again

redroost85
03-30-2004, 07:19 AM
:rolleyes: I think you are talking about the RAD lock nut Pappy? It has the 2 allen head bolts that tighten it up. I got one from C&D and am very happy with it.:)

xrracer36
03-30-2004, 07:19 AM
which site sponsor? (link please???:D )

xrracer36
03-30-2004, 07:20 AM
oh, thank you. man , you guys are like "the fastest reply in the west". beating me to asking me my questions...lol
thanks a bunch guys!

xrracer36
03-30-2004, 08:52 AM
hows come i can't find anything about any "RAD dual pinch lock nuts" (or even mention of said company, "RAD") on C&D's web page?
you know, if they sell them ( or try to sell them? ), they would probably have a little better luck if they advertised them...:huh

does anybody have any links directly to RAD, or other areas where i could get some info on them?
thanks
racer36

beak7707
03-30-2004, 08:56 AM
There is also a much cheaper way to fix this problem, and yes the axle nut coming lose is a common problem. You can get it as tight as possible then wrap in in electrical tape. Many people do this and it works. Go grab a dirt wheels mag and look at the roll design kfx400. That kfx is loaded with tons of $$$ in aftermarkets and they have electrical tape wrapped on the axle nuts. So if you want to go cheap then find some tape and wrap it.

xrracer36
03-30-2004, 09:00 AM
we do tape the axel nut in electrical tape. otherwise, it would probably have get a lot looser than it does.

thanks for the suggestion, though.
gotta look into and eliminate the obvious before you can go any further...

racer36

redroost85
03-30-2004, 09:16 AM
I believe the RAD site is radmanufacturing.com

JOEX
03-30-2004, 10:07 AM
Use this link to cotact C&D Racing http://www.exriders.com/vbb/contact.php

xrracer36
03-30-2004, 10:23 AM
did a search on google.com, and i think i found it. haven't explored it yet, but here's the link.
http://www.radmfg.com/

racer36

xrracer36
03-30-2004, 11:30 AM
just to double check and be sure, is this the item you guys said works good?
link to RAD-LOC axle nut (http://radmfg.com/radmfg.html)
(click the "RAD-LOC axle nut" link in the list on the left under ATVs)

it has two allen-head bolts pinch it on one side

thanks fer yer help!:macho
racer36