PDA

View Full Version : giant mosquito ?

SGA
03-29-2004, 11:24 PM
I see these sometimes outside. Caught one in the house and took a pic next to a dime. What is it?

Punk'd
03-29-2004, 11:30 PM
Its a rat EKKKKKKKKKKK!:eek2:

j/p hmm idk man it does look like a mosquito or maybe a queen or king one who knows..

TIP: kill it..

SGA
03-29-2004, 11:34 PM
I found it on google, its a crane fly. They dont bite at all thank goodness.
http://www.fcps.k12.va.us/StratfordLandingES/Ecology/mpages/crane_fly.htm

JTRtrx250r
03-29-2004, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by SGA
I found it on google, its a crane fly. They dont bite at all thank goodness.
http://www.fcps.k12.va.us/StratfordLandingES/Ecology/mpages/crane_fly.htm lol, those things are every where around here, some ppl call them skeeter-eaters, dunno if its true or not but I hear they catch and eat misquitos, some get about 4 inchs long and as fat as a pencil, harmless but extremely irritating , they seem to love becoming part of what ever you are trying to do:D

Punk'd
03-29-2004, 11:45 PM
i still say kill it..

blank bliss
03-29-2004, 11:47 PM
Woah, that looks like an Alaskan mosquito.

hondarider2006
03-30-2004, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by blank bliss
Woah, that looks like an Alaskan mosquito.

I'd have to agree;)

QuadJunkies
03-30-2004, 12:17 AM
Oh great.Im gonna have nightmares now!!!!:eek: :eek2: YUK!!!!!!

03-30-2004, 07:41 AM
i heard that they like to fly off with parts of peoples quads;) :p. last time i was in georgia, i was on some plantation near atlanta and saw a gigantic ant hill as big as a football. i guess the mosguitoes are huge too:eek2:

Cole Trane
03-30-2004, 08:09 AM
I've been told they're mosquito eaters.

zephead400ex
03-30-2004, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by JTRtrx250r
lol, those things are every where around here, some ppl call them skeeter-eaters, dunno if its true or not but I hear they catch and eat misquitos, some get about 4 inchs long and as fat as a pencil, harmless but extremely irritating , they seem to love becoming part of what ever you are trying to do:D

haha, those things are everywhere around here too. We get some big *** mosquitos around here, especially last year. It was really wet last year so the bugs came in groves, pretty annoying but hey, it's Kansas for ya.

JOEX
03-30-2004, 09:55 AM
We get them out here during the summer, call them skeeter eaters too.

When I was in sixth or seventh grade I brought one into class. There was a girl sitting nexted to me, when she was looking away I put it on her textbook. When she turned around she picked up, once she realized what it was, she screamed real load. The teacher got pisssed and sent me out of class:devil:

QuadJunkies
03-30-2004, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by JOEX
We get them out here during the summer, call them skeeter eaters too.

When I was in sixth or seventh grade I brought one into class. There was a girl sitting nexted to me, when she was looking away I put it on her textbook. When she turned around she picked up, once she realized what it was, she screamed real load. The teacher got pisssed and sent me out of class:devil: :p lol we have them here too

SGA
03-30-2004, 10:33 AM
Heck, I thought I was special or something and get a new bug named after me:o

News flash! New bug discovered! Scientists to name it-
"Giantus Howieus mosquitous"

Everyones got em I guess:(

03-30-2004, 12:32 PM
We call em sap suckers here in KY.....:cool:

sfalumberjack98
03-30-2004, 12:48 PM
In arkansas.....they are "mosquito hawks".

blondie69
03-30-2004, 01:06 PM
Those things scare the crap outa me:eek: I hate em, their gross!:huh

spud400ex
03-30-2004, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by sfalumberjack98
In arkansas.....they are "mosquito hawks".

same here

ShiftFMX
03-30-2004, 04:51 PM
I always thought it was just a male mosquito :confused: and the one that bite are the females

hmm, i'm always learnin new chit on this site :p

Woodsrider
03-30-2004, 09:07 PM
Its a crane fly, and they kill your lawn! I fuggin hate em!:cuss: Jeremy, you think they're bad in Kirkland you should see them out here in farm country. A couple years back they got so bad that in one shovel full of dirt in the front yard we had over a hundered larvae:eek: They pretty much killed my whole lawn that year.

Diaznon granules kill the larvae before they hatch. And for the flying ones get a couple of bat houses, and put them up in your yard. Bats eat a lot of bugs, and they keep the kids in line at night

:D

JTRtrx250r
03-30-2004, 09:34 PM
lol, when I first saw this tread, it actually reminded me of a few yrs back...they were bad, 100's would be stuck to the sides of the house, the bug zapper was definitly my shop pal haha:D actually..they even killed zapper:rolleyes: nothing wose than 3 or 4 of those buzzing and bouncing off your face while wrenchin':rolleyes: :mad: The big huge ones sound like a small sesna:D