PDA

View Full Version : Sparks cam

kssandduner
03-29-2004, 08:13 PM
Has anyone tried the new Sparks Racing Aggressive "drop-in" camshaft? How does it compare to the cam that comes with the HRC kit? I'm getting ready to order my pipe from Sparks, and am thinking about ordering the cam with it, anyone have it yet?

Joe

kazpr
03-29-2004, 08:31 PM
Never tried it but spoke with sparks about it seems nice.

330R PowerValve
03-29-2004, 08:32 PM
I bought the HRC and the sparks pipe and love it. There is a post on here that I started about the sparks and hrc cam. I do know that sparks said that HRC cam makes +1HP over the sparks, but they claim theirs pulls harder on the bottom and mid. I put the HRC in and love it. I feel that the power gain was over the entire range and it pulls like a MOFO on the mid and top.

The thing that sold me on the HRC was that honda designed it. My 2 cents.:D

4fiddyR
03-29-2004, 08:43 PM
I have the sparks cam, air filter kit, jet kit, and full exhaust. my buddy has the sparks exhaust and the HRC kit. It is really rider preference. I have a ton more bottom end and mid range than my friends, but he has more on top then me. I ride the woods, and I swap out my tires and ride the MX track, I got the sparks cam for what I ride, being tight woods and track, that is where you want bottom end, and mid range. Only place I can really open my quad up is on abandoned railroad tracks. I mean it is fun but that gets boring. I like my power to be more useful for my riding enviroment.
If you get either of the two you will be pleased, both are head and shoulders better over the stock cam and pipe.
Also I run the HRC air box lid, my friend runs his open airbox, so he gave me the lid. :devil:

kazpr
03-29-2004, 08:47 PM
I was speaking with Mark Baldwin last week and he told me the cams will not really make a huge difference until you get a higher compression piston. So am excited about pistons coming out soon then :)

Sportrax10
03-29-2004, 08:49 PM
I still dont know what im going to go with. I will def. pick the HRC if the dealer wont cover insurance with the Sparks. Will they? How much will the Sparks cam cost?

4fiddyR
03-29-2004, 08:58 PM
215$

And as far as the piston thing goes, HRC cam and kit gives you +5 HP over stock, Sparks cam alone gives ya +4HP. Stock Vs. a piped and cammed R is night and day difference. you may get +2HP more with a piston. The R stock piston is almost 11 to 1, I'm leaving mine stock so I can still run just on high octane pump gas.

robby26wi
03-30-2004, 12:02 AM
stock is 10.5:1 and goin from that to 13:1 will be close to 4 horse EVERYWHERE....