PDA

View Full Version : Pics of my new HMF Ballance full system and MSD ignition (56K Beware)

TORO1968
03-29-2004, 07:30 PM
Hey guys,

Here are some pics of my new HMF Ballance Pro Series aluminum full exhaust and MSD ignition...reviews/tech articles soon to follow once my 39mm FCR arrives! :D

-Jordan

http://elwood.vet.purdue.edu/albums/album17/HMF1.jpg
http://elwood.vet.purdue.edu/albums/album17/HMF5.sized.jpg
http://elwood.vet.purdue.edu/albums/album17/HMF8.jpg
http://elwood.vet.purdue.edu/albums/album17/HMF11.jpg
http://elwood.vet.purdue.edu/albums/album17/HMF12.jpg
http://elwood.vet.purdue.edu/albums/album17/MSD1.jpg
http://elwood.vet.purdue.edu/albums/album17/MSD2.jpg
http://elwood.vet.purdue.edu/albums/album17/MSD3.jpg
http://elwood.vet.purdue.edu/albums/album17/MSD4.jpg

TORO1968
03-29-2004, 07:39 PM
http://elwood.vet.purdue.edu/albums/album17/HMF13.jpg

toby400ex
03-29-2004, 07:52 PM
Damn dude, where does that big *** ignition go?

TORO1968
03-29-2004, 07:58 PM
Right in front of the taillight on the subframe...basically below the seat latch. :eek:

Yeah, it's a bit bulky, but it should be pretty sweet...nothing like 30,000 volts! :D That's one of the main reasons i went with the MSD over a Vortex or Dyna box. Plus, it will throw multiple sparks per firing up to 3000 rpm.

The holeshot rev control (wired into the clutch switch), should be fun to play with when dragging at the dunes. :)

-Jordan

JDiablo
03-29-2004, 08:14 PM
uuuuoooooo:eek2: nice very very nice im liking that pipe alot:macho

LazeR
03-30-2004, 01:55 AM
How does the holeshot rev control thing work ? I have been wondering that since i read the article about the MSD Ignition? and very nice lookin pipe! You should mention how loud it is! I lookin to get a pipe but have a 93DB limit at the dunes! :(, also go in depth if possible on the gains with the msd ignition! please:devil:

by the way is your bike stock, well was it ? :p If not what do you have done to it ?

TORO1968
03-30-2004, 08:10 AM
Basically, the holeshot rev control is a second rev limiter that is only activated when the clutch lever is pulled in. It utilizes the stock starter disable switch on the clutch lever assembly. So, when you have the clutch pulled in, you'll be able to rev the engine to precisely where you want it. Once you take off, the main rev limiter will take over.

I imagine the pipe will be quite loud, however I went ahead and purchased a quiet core so I can tone it down a bit if necessary. My pipe didn't come with a spark arrestor as I had the dealer specify when they ordered it for me. :mad: It's on its way though. :)

I will be sure to do a thorough review of all of my new parts, and yes, as of right now my 400 is still stock powertrain-wise. Not for long though...:D

-Jordan

brandonpeake
03-30-2004, 08:52 AM
if you are interested in pipes and there db rating im working on a pipe review they are on the way and HMf is sending along with most other major manufactures and engine builders and 1 test is db rating, so check it out web site is in my sig, im post a link when i get done

Berry
03-30-2004, 09:36 AM
nice stuff!

does anyone think the ballance HMF looks just like a normal HMF but different tip/color/ and label? jw because it does too me

TORO1968
03-30-2004, 09:50 AM
That's exactly what it is, but it comes with the torque range modifier (on the left in the last pic).

LazeR
03-30-2004, 12:05 PM
Ok thanx! Can't wait for the review..... When you do the review if possible get DB readings with the quiet core to as well if possible! and tell if there is any power loss! Thanx again!

Out_Sider
03-30-2004, 02:15 PM
hmf claims it keeps 95% of the power gains with the quiet core

toby400ex
03-30-2004, 03:57 PM
Isnt that pipe shorter than normal pipes also? Since it was specifically designed for xc racing.

TORO1968
03-30-2004, 06:32 PM
I believe that the 400ex pipe was already at the 14 inch length that the Ballance pipes are supposed to come at. I always thought the regular HMF pipes for the 400 looked really short. I'm not sure if the pipes for other quads are this short...

I can't wait to get this stuff on! :D

-Jordan

Bill_Ballance
03-30-2004, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by TORO1968
http://elwood.vet.purdue.edu/albums/album17/HMF13.jpg

DONT LET IT JERK YOUR ARMS OUT OF SOCKET!!!

HOPE YOU LIKE IT!!!

BILL BALLANCE:cool:

Ryan
03-30-2004, 08:53 PM
Looks sweet!

greco400
03-31-2004, 08:41 AM
can't wait till the review! and post some pics of installing

YZROOSTINYA
03-31-2004, 01:33 PM
WB core is 13" for the pro meg and e -series slip on

hawiianpwr
03-31-2004, 05:27 PM
Nice TORO! I really like that pipe! Hey I've the MSD ignition for awhile and its sweet. Its the best igntion out their! Heres a pic of mine, the box mounts on the back of the subframe behind the brakelight and the coil mounts up where the old coil was. Its crazy the voltage it puts out.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid109/pf50296071d4d2e4d61742b99358a999c/f92a86d5.jpg.orig.jpg

twisted threads
04-01-2004, 04:14 AM
Originally posted by hawiianpwr
Nice TORO! I really like that pipe! Hey I've the MSD ignition for awhile and its sweet. Its the best igntion out their! Heres a pic of mine, the box mounts on the back of the subframe behind the brakelight and the coil mounts up where the old coil was. Its crazy the voltage it puts out.

Were did you get your MSD ignition from and how hard was it to install? Is that were they tell you to mount the box or is that were you put it?:)

TORO1968
04-01-2004, 05:11 AM
Thanks guys! We'll probably install the MSD ignition this weekend along with all of the mods for my bro's Raptor.

Hey Hawiianpwr,

What mods do you have? Also, which spark plug are you running and at what gap? I was wondering since the instructions tell you to run as cold of a plug as possible while still being able to start the quad easily.

-Jordan

nuttynewt
04-01-2004, 08:33 AM
Thanks guys! We'll probably install the MSD ignition this weekend along with all of the mods for my bro's Raptor.

Hey Hawiianpwr,

What mods do you have? Also, which spark plug are you running and at what gap? I was wondering since the instructions tell you to run as cold of a plug as possible while still being able to start the quad easily.

-Jordan

Do what it tells you... I have a MSD for my 250R and they told me to use one plug colder and gap it .012 wider (I think that's the number, I don't have the stuff in front of me...). Well, I didn't do it, I thought it wouldn't be that big of a difference... to make a long story short I ended up melting a hole about the size of a dime in the center of my piston. It is a HOT ignition. I went up a couple of jet sizes when I installed it, you can feel a difference in the power.

tstrenuous10
04-01-2004, 07:21 PM
hey you should take some pictures of this stuff after you put it on and have ridden it a little bit. im curious to see how it looks on a bike cuz i havent seen this exhaust on a bike yet. is it mostly a cross country exhaust or is it more geared to racing? which do you normally ride? and where did you order the msd ignition and hmf exhaust? my friends has a white brothers e series on his bike right now and another has the dmg alien pipe. im looking for a full system to buy and if the msd ignition isnt too badly priced i might get it too. how hard was all of this to install? i have read on here the the quiet instert doesnt take too much power away but it does make it noticably quieter is that true? im sketch about ordering an exhaust right now because oregon has such a low noise decibel level (98) and most of the exhaust systems for the 400 have a lot louder noise level.

one last part....does anyone know much about the LSR pipe? i know its pretty much an mx pipe but how does it do on the trails or in the dunes?

TORO1968
04-01-2004, 09:06 PM
I haven't gotten around to installing any of this yet, as I am still waiting on my FCR carb that's on backorder.

The Ballance Pro Series exhaust was designed with cross country racing in mind. I myself do a variety of riding, gravel pits, trails, dunes, etc.

I ordered the MSD ignition from MPS Racing. They were the only place I could get a hold of that sells motorcycle oriented MSD products. I paid $391 for the ignition...directly from the manufacturer it's $425. I believe Billet Bike Works is also an MSD dealer, however, I could never get a hold of them.

I purchased the exhaust from a local dealer for $460, only because I had a $100 off coupon if I was to spend $500 there. C&D Racing has the best price I have found so far...PM them for a price.

I will be sure to take a bunch of pics during the install and after I'm all done. After reading through the instructions for the MSD box, it seems fairly easy to install. The exhaust should be really easy to put on, and the carb shouldn't be too bad either. Tuning the carb might take a little time though.

I went ahead and got the spark arrestor and quiet core for my pipe because I may have to go through sound check at the dunes in Michigan. The quiet core is supposed to work really well, bringing the dB's down into the mid-90s I think, while also retaining 95% of the power.

Hopefully my carb will get here soon...I hate waiting!!!

Let me know if you have any other questions...
-Jordan

LazeR
04-02-2004, 03:22 AM
Forget the carb! Just put everything else on! What carb you getting? Hopefully it hurries! Want to hear your review!

TORO1968
04-02-2004, 09:30 AM
I'm getting an FCR 39mm carb... I'm starting to think I should go ahead and re-jet the stock carb to run the exhaust and ignition...I hate seeing it just sitting in a box!

Anybody have any recommendations for jetting?

-Jordan

hawiianpwr
04-02-2004, 05:29 PM
Hey Toro.
My bike is pretty much stock right now. My whole goal was to get everything outside of the motor before I go into it. I have a Hetrick racing pipe, K&N filter, MSD Ignition, and An Edelbrock carb. I just got the Edelbrock Carb so I'm still trying to dial it in.

On the MSD I did go plug 1 step colder and the gap I opened to .045". If you got a higher compression piston you won't want to go quite as big of gap. It is pretty easy to put in just take your time. (#1 rule, Make sure you have a good ground!)

Hope this Helps:)

TORO1968
04-03-2004, 12:50 AM
Thanks for the info... I had gone ahead and bought the colder DPR9Z, one range colder...luckily it was right! Did you find that the .045 gap worked the best?

Did you have to change your jetting when you installed the ignition?

Thanks again for the info...

-Jordan

hawiianpwr
04-03-2004, 01:44 AM
For me so far its worked out pretty well. But it doesn't hurt to play around with it. I didn't change my jetting. I did notice that my throttle response is better, sounds better, and it is burning cleaner than before.

Guy400
04-03-2004, 06:08 AM
That midpipe looks like it's off a '96 Cummins Turbo Diesel:eek2:

:D

400exdad
04-03-2004, 07:12 AM
Toro, very... very nice goodies for the 400 there! I think a dyno report for all the goodies would be extra sweet! 3 mods like that, all at the same time ought to be awesome! :D I vote you go ahead and put the HRC cam and piston in there too! :devil:

TORO1968
04-03-2004, 07:41 AM
Yeah, I measured the head pipes and mid pipe...approximately 1 1/4" and 1 3/4" OD, respectively! :eek2:

A dyno report would be sweet...anyone know of an ATV dyno in Indiana?

Actually, I was planning on buying the HRC cam and a JE or Ross 11:1 piston at the same time, but I figured that I should see what this stuff does first. Plus, my engine is still nearly new, so I couldn't warrant tearing into it just yet. Maybe I'll throw the rod through the crankcase at the dunes this year...that way I can build some monster engine!! :eek2: :D

-Jordan

MITrail400EX
04-03-2004, 06:09 PM
I see you are from Indiana...which dunes do you go to? Do you make the trip up to Silver Lake? I'll be there quite a bit this summer. I just rebuilt a blaster as a dune ride for any one of my friends who wants to use it, so I'll be up there at least once a month. Anyways, let us know how those mods work out. I might try the MSD. I've had good luck with them on my past 2 cars that I've built, so we'll see how they are on a quad. Talk to you later.

TORO1968
04-04-2004, 05:07 PM
Yeah, we make the trip up to Silver Lake several times a summer...very fun place! :D

tstrenuous10
04-05-2004, 11:56 AM
Yeah, I measured the head pipes and mid pipe...approximately 1 1/4" and 1 3/4" OD, respectively! :eek2:

A dyno report would be sweet...anyone know of an ATV dyno in Indiana?

Actually, I was planning on buying the HRC cam and a JE or Ross 11:1 piston at the same time, but I figured that I should see what this stuff does first. Plus, my engine is still nearly new, so I couldn't warrant tearing into it just yet. Maybe I'll throw the rod through the crankcase at the dunes this year...that way I can build some monster engine!! :eek2: :D

-Jordan

so this is all going on a new bike? what all HAVE you installed on your bike yet cuz it sounds like you got a lot. MSD, HMG ehxaust, Cam, Pistons....damn thats some BANK right thurr (yeah...i think im chingy)

TORO1968
04-05-2004, 12:26 PM
This is what's on my 400 right now:

PRM Baja front bumper
Pro Armor chassis and swingarm skids
Trail Tech 1 1/8" bars and logo clamp
Fasst Co. Anti-vibe bar inserts (very cool...have senior engineering project to back these up) :D

This is what I am installing once everything arrives:

MSD ignition
HMF Ballance Pro Series full exhaust w/aluminum silencer
Keihin FCR 39mm carb
ITP Sand Star 21x7x10 fronts on ITP T-9 wheels
+ITP Sand Star 20x11x10 rears on ITP T-9 wheels
----------------------------------------------------------------
Approximately $1700 :eek2:

Eventually, I'll end up installing a high compression piston (possibly a 416 kit) and an HRC cam.

-Jordan

tstrenuous10
04-05-2004, 12:30 PM
i havent seen those anti vibe bar mounts n e where but i have a friend i think has them. its either that or they are in his steering stem. hes got pro tapers and im trying to get his front set up so the ride in the dunes isnt as harsh and ill have some more travel.

TORO1968
04-05-2004, 01:17 PM
The Fasst Co. inserts go in the ends of the handlebars. They alter the natural frequency of the ends of the bars thereby eliminating much of the vibration felt through one's hands. Vibrations once felt at mid-range speeds such as 4000 rpm appear at much higher frequencies once the inserts are installed. These frequencies are high enough that the engine will never be able to reach such speeds, therefore the rider will never feel these specific vibrations in his or her hands.

I actually had to machine my inserts down to fit into the Trail Tech bars since the wall thickness is a about 5mm as compared to the 4mm wall thickness bars the inserts were designed for.

I believe that the inserts will fit into all Renthal and Tag bars though.

-Jordan

tstrenuous10
04-05-2004, 05:31 PM
well since you have the fat bars have you tried the Pro Tapers? i know they are like the fattest and ive heard they need their own special clamp but im wondering that since there are more "fat bars" that its more of a universal thing.

TORO1968
04-05-2004, 07:45 PM
All 1 1/8" bars are considered fat bars, I believe.

tstrenuous10
04-05-2004, 10:05 PM
hey i was lookin on mps racing for the msd ignition and couldnt find it. you know the part number?

HondaEXer
04-05-2004, 11:31 PM
where can u buy the pipe from?

TORO1968
04-06-2004, 08:22 AM
The ignition is listed on page 6 of the master price list on www.mpsracing.com. The MPS part number is 2-05-10-42131, $391.00.

You can get the HMF exhaust from our site sponsor, C&D Racing or from HMF directly. C&D should be the cheapest. :)

-Jordan

tstrenuous10
04-16-2004, 11:32 AM
well i just got the same setup as you minus the msd ignition. ordered it on monday but now im just wondering what jet to get. over the phone the guy said hed sell me a 180 190 jet. im at like sea level but every so often go to rebicon or sand mountian and those are about 4000+.

cals400ex
04-16-2004, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by tstrenuous10
well i just got the same setup as you minus the msd ignition. ordered it on monday but now im just wondering what jet to get. over the phone the guy said hed sell me a 180 190 jet. im at like sea level but every so often go to rebicon or sand mountian and those are about 4000+.

are they keihin jets or dynojets?

H440exconfused
04-16-2004, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by HondaEXer
where can u buy the pipe from?

Just use the HMF link provided from the links page at Ex Riders and go to HMF's web page you can check out all they have and there contact info is there, I just put one on my cuz's 400 last week, a red pipe, you can get the pipe in many colors and even get the Ballance pipe in carbon fiber.

By the way the loudest pipe I have ever heard, but great power.

LazeR
04-19-2004, 02:07 AM
Got it installed yet ? If so how do ya like it ? How loud is it ? Power Gains ? Ease of install for the msd ignition? Thanx in advance :D:D

TORO1968
04-19-2004, 10:39 AM
Still waiting on my carb...hopefully it'll be in this week!

LazeR
04-19-2004, 12:32 PM
You still going to write the review when you get everything installed ?

TORO1968
04-19-2004, 02:11 PM
Definitely...I'm going to take my time on the reviews and basically make them install guides as well.

-Jordan

tstrenuous10
04-24-2004, 12:35 AM
im just curious what jet your gonna run. seems like every one on here runs like a 160 at the biggest.

TORO1968
04-27-2004, 09:44 PM
Well guys, I received my FCR carb last week and installed everything this weekend. Let me say that this combo rocks!

The ignition was by far the hardest thing to put on, but it wasn't that bad. The thing that took me the longest was trying to slide the spark plug boot onto the new wire...nothing like having your hands cramp up for 30 minutes straight! :eek2: :) It was a little unnerving cutting into the factory wiring, especially with the lackluster installation instructions.

I also ran into some issues in regards to how MSD says to mount the ignition box. With the way their instructions state, the seat latch lever hits the mounting plate, not allowing the seat to latch properly. To avoid this, I flipped the mounting straps (had to get rid of one...oh well) and added some small spacers so the box could clear the tail light. Now everything fits great and is very secure. Currently, I am running a DPR9Z plug with a .035" gap...seems to be working well. The ease of starting and throttle response increased dramatically with just the ignition. One other thing I noticed is that the idle speed went up a bit, meaning the combustion is a little more complete than before, I would think.

The exhaust went on in a matter of minutes, however i will need to put a sleeve on my clutch cable to make sure it doesn't get burned by the head pipes...Who knows, I might be able to take care of this problem by bending the lower loop bracket on the engine.

The carb was even easier than installing the exhaust...I ended up spacing the gas tank up a little bit with some foam to give it some room. The Motion Pro cable was a bit long, so I'm gonna try the YFZ cable I picked up today and see if it fits better. I noticed that the throttle travel is a bit shorter than stock, but isn't much more firm.

Once everything was installed, it fired on the first try. :D

First opinion of the exhaust...very loud with the spark arrestor and torque range modifier in. Still loud with the spark arrestor/quiet core combo. Guess it'll have to do! :eek: :)

The throttle response of this combo is unreal...it likes to rev out really quick as well.

IMHO, there are very nice gains throughout the powerband. Give me a little while to tune it and try it out some more to give a more detailed opinion...there's a slight bog that I haven't addressed yet.

Oh yeah, the holeshot rev limiter is pretty sweet...the dunes are gonna be really fun this year! :D

Once I get some more free time, I'll do some more formal write-ups on this stuff...probably won't be until June or so.

Let me know if you have any questions...

-Jordan

TORO1968
04-28-2004, 09:17 PM
Well, I got around to installing the YFZ throttle cable I picked up. This is definitely the cable to have...It fits perfectly - not too long, not too short.

Pics to come... :)

-Jordan

roostin_dale
04-28-2004, 09:20 PM
sweet:)

tstrenuous10
04-30-2004, 12:51 PM
well i got mine on now but it sucks balls. not the exhaust. my quad. i put in a bigger jet and now the summa... wont start and stay runnin and when i turn it off all it does is leak gas until i turn the knob. i JUST got done cleanin the carb with some carb cleaner but it wont stop leaking. i ****in hate my quad right now.

tstrenuous10
05-04-2004, 05:48 PM
ok its working now....so im not mad at it n e more. its a lot quieter then the white brothers pipe. i can tell without even having one around to compare. quiet core sounds different then i thought it would. not bad. prolly gonna be happy with it when i got to hollister to take it for a ride. ran out of gas testing it and tuning it. speakin of which i gotta go buy a bigger jet. right now im fully stock and runnin a 185 jet and needle is in 3rd (stock) position. might set it up like the site says with the clip on the 2nd position or get a bigger jet. prolly gonna run like a 200 jet and leave the needel. not sure. maybe ill buy like a 190 and a 200 and mess with the needle and see which i like the best.

cals400ex
05-04-2004, 07:16 PM
ok its working now....so im not mad at it n e more. its a lot quieter then the white brothers pipe. i can tell without even having one around to compare. quiet core sounds different then i thought it would. not bad. prolly gonna be happy with it when i got to hollister to take it for a ride. ran out of gas testing it and tuning it. speakin of which i gotta go buy a bigger jet. right now im fully stock and runnin a 185 jet and needle is in 3rd (stock) position. might set it up like the site says with the clip on the 2nd position or get a bigger jet. prolly gonna run like a 200 jet and leave the needel. not sure. maybe ill buy like a 190 and a 200 and mess with the needle and see which i like the best.

thats HUGE for jetting.

tstrenuous10
05-04-2004, 09:24 PM
everyone keeps telling me that its huge for jetting but on a stock carb and aftermarket exhaust its not too bad. thats what the site says to run and its way hot which tells me its lean.

cals400ex
05-05-2004, 12:47 AM
everyone keeps telling me that its huge for jetting but on a stock carb and aftermarket exhaust its not too bad. thats what the site says to run and its way hot which tells me its lean.

shoot, i guarantee your not lean on the mainjet. just because it is hot doesn't mean its lean on the main. you could be lean in the pilot jet/fuel skrew, needle clip position, needle taper, needle diameter, needle jet, etc. also, these bikes are air cooled and run hot. possibly the idle is too high. these bikes aren't made to be ideling either. they need the air to cool them. yes, on the site it say that big of a jet. however, i can guarantee it will be much quicker with a smaller mainjet in. also, it says the slip on works best with a modded motor on their site. :confused:

i am not sure if they are referring to keihin jets either???
if so, they just want to make sure you don't run lean and hurt the engine. i would never run as big as a 170 on my 10.8:1 406, stage 2, sparks pipe, open air box lid, in the dead middle of winter. my elevation is only 525 feet too.

hey, everyone has their own preferences though.

tstrenuous10
05-05-2004, 08:42 AM
its a lot colder in illnois in winter and summer then in cali.

cals400ex
05-05-2004, 02:36 PM
its a lot colder in illnois in winter and summer then in cali.

yes, meaning you would use larger jets here than you would there. however, elevation might be a tad lower there which would somewhat equal the temp and altitude out.

JDiablo
11-28-2004, 12:07 PM
Bump,I KNOW THIS IS A OLD THREAD,but i need to know how things are working out for you now,how is the ignition doing,etc?do you think it is worth it?thanks looking at buying one soon