PDA

View Full Version : how many watts?

RH1N08d9
03-29-2004, 06:55 PM
Hey, I just put some 55 watt lights on my 400ex, in place of stock. but, I don't know if they have enough light, haven't been offroad yet with em. But, how many watts can the stock stator handle? If it's possible, I'd like to add another set for more light. Iff not, then I'll just live with em! thanks, later.

JOEX
03-29-2004, 09:15 PM
Stock headlights are 30w each, from what I have read anything over that puts too much load on the stator. You can get halogen lights at the same wattage and work great.

Trailtech and Lazerstar are the popular ones.

44oEX
03-30-2004, 05:40 AM
it sould'nt hurt your stator but it will be hard on the battery but don't put any more then two.

RH1N08d9
03-30-2004, 02:38 PM
Alright, thanks! I don't really want to spend the money for lazerstar, because I don't ride at night alot, only once in a while around the house or at the dunes, so these should work!

y2k400ex
03-30-2004, 03:04 PM
i was messing wiht light a while ago heres some info i got fron Ricky Stator:

Hi

I have a Honda 400ex and I’m adding some extra light to it. I wanted to know how may watts can the stock stator support? And what it the turn around time if I send you my stator?

Reply:

the stock stator puts out 150 watts

keep in mind you must maintain a charge to the bettery and we give it a buffer of 50 watts to make sure that happens

although the 400ex can be wound for high output it opens a can of worms as far as the rec/reg and wiring problems

we recommend only running 2 x 55 watts when done rewinding

we turn around in about 2-3 days

consider not using the stock lights since they are lame and concentrate on the new lights you are adding

if you keep the motor really reved all the time you may run the 2 x 55 watts or 1 x 100 watts

everyone rides differently with engine RPM

thanks-ricky