PDA

View Full Version : Outerwear To Replace Airbox Lid ???

jfboy
03-29-2004, 06:04 PM
WHERE CAN I GET THE SPECIAL CLOTH THTA OUTEWEAR SELLS SO i CAN PUT OVER THE AIR BOX ONCE I REMOVE THE LID(I dont want the filter wrap, just a flat piece that will cover the airbox)

mustang93
03-29-2004, 07:44 PM
c&d, rocky mountain, denis kirk ect... ect...

03-30-2004, 07:01 AM
Just a little advise on the outerwear air box lid setup...

THEY SUCK.....:o

Go with a setup like this one if you ride in nasty conditions..:cool:

http://ricoracing.netfirms.com/images/airtube.jpg

redroost85
03-30-2004, 07:12 AM
:rolleyes: That's pretty sweet looking Rico. Is that a one-off type of deal? Don't think I have seen an airbox lid like that before. Cool.:macho

cals400ex
03-30-2004, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by redroost85
:rolleyes: That's pretty sweet looking Rico. Is that a one-off type of deal? Don't think I have seen an airbox lid like that before. Cool.:macho

you can buy these from gt thunder. they can be mounted back on the lid so if you do hit water the water goes through the hole and misses the filter.

Quadzilla
03-30-2004, 09:36 AM
EHS Racing also makes a cool kit. Go to EHSRacing.com and/or click below to see a nice pic. I have one and it's great!

Click for Pic (http://www.ehsracing.com/products/images/400ex/400ex_lside.jpg)

Hotdog
03-30-2004, 11:10 AM
i purchased on of those pieces that replaces the lid. it was a waste of money. your better off going with the mod Rico did.

Taco
03-30-2004, 11:14 AM
I like my setup just fine

03-30-2004, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by Taco

but you dont' ride..:rolleyes:

seatec
03-30-2004, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by Quadzilla
EHS Racing also makes a cool kit. Go to EHSRacing.com and/or click below to see a nice pic. I have one and it's great!

Click for Pic (http://www.ehsracing.com/products/images/400ex/400ex_lside.jpg)

I got that lid for my YFZ and the first thing that i did when i got it is hold it under the faucet. 99.9% of the water did not get through the outerwear. its a bit steep in price though.

HondaMan222
03-30-2004, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by Taco

mine is awsome, why do you guys hate them?

Quadzilla
03-30-2004, 09:09 PM
Luv Mine! :-)

seatec
03-31-2004, 06:01 AM
Originally posted by HondaMan222
mine is awsome, why do you guys hate them?

Don't worry, Rico needed a nap and he is nervous about getting hitched. Cut him some slack. He is about to loose his freedom.:devil:

03-31-2004, 06:56 AM
Originally posted by seatec
Don't worry, Rico needed a nap and he is nervous about getting hitched. Cut him some slack. He is about to loose his freedom.:devil:

Thanks for the kind thoughts....:D

Actually the setup like Taco posted is a nice setup. The cheap outerwears setup that uses velcro to stay on the airbox is the one I was reffering too as being junk.:cool:

So far I have no complaints against the setup I have from GT thunder.

UglyMotha™
03-31-2004, 07:07 AM
i always thought it was rick-oh:o :confused:

seatec
03-31-2004, 07:19 AM
The EHS lid setup sandwiches the outerwear to the lid using an aluminum frame. works pretty good. i can see how the velco would suck because velcro is not made to keep air and dust out. The Velco will also wear out with continous use.

Lemme ask you this now that we are on the subject of lids.
I want to use the Alba pro flow kit in my stock airbox. I have the EHS lid and an outerwear for the K&N. would it be bad to use that in a muddy type HS setting?

Quadzilla
03-31-2004, 07:30 AM
Originally posted by Rico
Thanks for the kind thoughts....:D

Actually the setup like Taco posted is a nice setup. The cheap outerwears setup that uses velcro to stay on the airbox is the one I was reffering too as being junk.:cool:

So far I have no complaints against the setup I have from GT thunder.

Agreed Rico. I had one of those Outerware velcro setups for a bit and it sucked *****. The velcro would come loose and eventually the Outerware started to split and tear wear it had been cut to fit. Don't waste your money on those. Do what Rico did or what Taco and I have. I would think that the EHS setup flow more air than the Rico setup but also costs more. I could be wrong though. Wouldn't be the first OR last time.... :-)

03-31-2004, 08:47 AM
I'd say the EHS setup flows more air than mine. I actually need to buy another one. I was talkin with Laz in NC and looked at his sons 400ex and noticed he had 2 of those air tubes instead of one.

PS.. outerwears states their filters skins like the ones used by EHS are only waterproof for so long. So I'm guessing it needs to be replaced annually:confused:

Quadzilla
03-31-2004, 09:00 AM
Yep, once every 12-24 months depending on how much you ride... I've had mine for well over a year now and it still does not leak (and I do plenty of stream crossings, etc). As soon as she starts to leak a little, that's when I'll replace it...

cals400ex
03-31-2004, 12:06 PM
you could try to buy some that that waterproofing spray. my friend has used it before and he said it actually did help. however, i dont' know how long it would be good for. i dont worry about water. i am only worried about dust. i just don't ride in wet conditions.