PDA

View Full Version : Bent Tie rod

03-11-2002, 09:52 AM
I hit a tree this weekend and bent my tie rod,we tok a bar and bent it back.
Any 1 else ever do this will it have any affect on my tires in the long run?,and can any 1 tell me where to get a new set better than stock?
Thx in advance

03-11-2002, 09:55 AM
houser racing sells beefy stock length tie-rods,,but you'll break other parts of the front-end if ya get these and not the tie-rods if ya keep hitting trees...:D

Scott
03-11-2002, 10:28 AM
Everyone I know of runs a reinforced tie rod on their 300s, 400s, warriors. Only people I ride with that haven't done this are the 4x4s.

In the last 3 years, no one that I know of has broken anything as a result of their tie rods being stronger than factory.

Most of us got pipe and made sleeves for our factory tie rods because no one knew of any aftermarket ones that were halfway affordable. Now there's lots of them on the market.

I know I always say the same place, but check out ProFabATV.com and look at the B&M Racing ones he has online. Polished stainless steel sleeved stockers for $50 a pair. They look good and you won't bend them, and they're cheaper than the other brands.

PS: Try to avoid the trees or it's going to be an expensive hobby, trust me! I learned the hard way, end over end!

03-11-2002, 10:55 AM
Thx alot looks like im gonn get some new one,instead of riding the fixed 1,.
I wasnt even going that fast,couldnt believe they bent so easy.
Glad i asked

SGA
03-12-2002, 10:23 PM
Honda made them kind of soft on purpose so they would bend before something expensive did. I bent one when I stopped suddenly in the bottom of a ditch. I did a perfect handstand over the handlebars and ALMOST landed on my feet. I was surprised it bent, I didn't hit that hard. All o/k though. I keep a couple of spares in the tool box. Their 5 bucks apiece. I hear the 250R tie rods will fit, are stronger than 400 stockers and are cheap also.

Scott
03-13-2002, 10:46 AM
I understand that they are intended to be the "weak link" and why Honda made them "soft", but on the warriors, 300s and 400s that I've ridden with, they seemed to be too weak. We used to carry an extra under the plastic in the front end every ride. And we got tired of every ride (it seemed like) someone bent one and we had to stop and change it out, check the alignment, and then we could go ride again. Made for a long break along the side of the trail. So we sleeved them. They can still bend at each end of the individual tie rod at the threads, it's just much less frequent.

ChadEXer
03-13-2002, 11:24 AM
Graves Motorsports makes some awesome custom grooved billet tie rods. They are sweet. Like $65 for em. Not sure how strong they would be though

Scott
03-13-2002, 12:39 PM
B&M Gorilla Bars
$50 per set.

ChadEXer
03-13-2002, 01:02 PM
Those look good. The ones Graves make are wavy looking. They look good too!!

03-13-2002, 01:14 PM
That pic scott posted looks like the ones that come with houser arms,,,,there like twice as big as stockers,,,I can't see bending or breaking one...if you do brake or bend one,,your riding days are probably over..:eek:

2qk4u
03-15-2002, 04:17 PM
Ok guys, heres a fix to the bent tie rod problems. go to your local Home Depot or Lowes and purchase some black piping like you see running through a basement that the tierod just fits in. cut the pipe at just the inside of the threads and tack weld it there. this will beef up your tierods. I havent done this yet but know it works and doesnt look to bad either. Going to be doing this really soon. I think i might have a pic of where we did it on a 250r if any one would like to see it just email me.