PDA

View Full Version : Extended swingarm-Please help

ChadEXer
03-11-2002, 09:43 AM
I am going to order me an extended swingarm. Do I have to get a new shock before I can put it on. I am thinking of either getting a Houser or sending my stock swingarm to get it extened. Has anybody ever extended their stock swingarm before?? If I need to where can I rebuild my stock shock and how much or how much for a new rear shock like a Works or something???
Thanks

03-11-2002, 09:52 AM
Chad,,,DON'T get the stocker modified,,,get yourself a houser extended swingarm ( what length are you goin with ),,,send the rear shock off to be rebuilt,,by whoever...Terry Marcum did mine in about a weeks time,,don't waste the money on aftermarket if ya really don't want to,,the rebuilt stocker will work 5X better than stock setup and only cost's $250 for a complete rebuild,,you might not need a complete rebuild,,so $250 is the max you'll spend. Length of the swingarm will help answer the new shock etc..question..

ChadEXer
03-11-2002, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by Rico
Chad,,,DON'T get the stocker modified,,,get yourself a houser extended swingarm ( what length are you goin with ),,,send the rear shock off to be rebuilt,,by whoever...Terry Marcum did mine in about a weeks time,,don't waste the money on aftermarket if ya really don't want to,,the rebuilt stocker will work 5X better than stock setup and only cost's $250 for a complete rebuild,,you might not need a complete rebuild,,so $250 is the max you'll spend. Length of the swingarm will help answer the new shock etc..question..
Thanks Rico. Im not sure what length. I cant decide on a +4 or a +2. A guy I ride with has +4 and he says he thinks I would be happier with a +2. What do you think. I do a lot of drag racing but still do play ride too. Im going to get +2+1 Houser a-arms for sure with Works shocks probably. I will go ahead and get the Houser swingarm then when I decide what length. The swingarm pivots that the shock mount to,, do they have to be replaced to?? Do they come with the swingarm or do you use the stock ones???
Thanks

03-11-2002, 12:58 PM
If you play ride then go with a +2,,cuz a +4 would not be fun to have I wouldn't think tryin to do anything but drag race. HOuser only makes a +1 1/4 so I don't know who you might go with,,,if you go with the +1 1/4 then you can use stock shock,,brake lines, and linkage,,but you'll need 2 more chain links.

ChadEXer
03-11-2002, 03:25 PM
Well I will probably get the 1 1/4 then. Im waiting on John Houser to send me an email back. What kind of difference will the rear shock make??? Do I really need to get mine rebuilt??

chris29
03-11-2002, 10:45 PM
I got the Houser +1 1/4 Swingarm with the stock shock and it works fine for me. If you race motocross then +1 1/4 will be fine for you and you can use your stock shock.

03-12-2002, 07:44 AM
Originally posted by ChadEXer
Well I will probably get the 1 1/4 then. Im waiting on John Houser to send me an email back. What kind of difference will the rear shock make??? Do I really need to get mine rebuilt??

YOu don't have to do anything with the rear shock if you go with a longer swingarm,,,and you don't have to get it rebuilt,,especially if you don't hit jumps. I had to have mine rebuilt because I was pushing it to it's limits on alot of jumps,,but as I mentioned before it was well worth the money having it rebuilt and it has performed way better than I expected,,,gonna give it a true test this weekend..goin to 2 different MX tracks..woo hooo

ChadEXer
03-12-2002, 07:51 AM
How much of a difference does 1 1/4 make. If I do that with the swingarm and go +2+1 on the a-arms will it lengthen my quad noticably?? 1 1/4 doesnt seem like very much. Where did you get your Houser stuff?? Terry??? How much did it cost?? I want to go ahead and order it today but dont know where. Do they sale the Houser NOT powdercoated? I want to powdercoat them with a special order color!

03-12-2002, 09:37 AM
I don't have the swingarm yet,,but it will make turning a little wider but should help soak up bumps and jumps better I would think...

I ordered straight from houser,,but I've heard Terry has the stuff cheaper,,but I don't think he has houser products in stock,,don't really know.

And yes he will send it out not powder coated,,but it won't come with any bearings, bushings, seals etc,,,and he'll knock off like $30 or so for not powdercoating it,,,call up houser racing and see what he has in stock,,,odds are if your not wanting it powdercoated then he'll have to make the stuff first then send it to ya,,and that can take some time,,I had to special order my stuff and it took over a month...:(

ChadEXer
03-12-2002, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by Rico
I don't have the swingarm yet,,but it will make turning a little wider but should help soak up bumps and jumps better I would think...

I ordered straight from houser,,but I've heard Terry has the stuff cheaper,,but I don't think he has houser products in stock,,don't really know.

And yes he will send it out not powder coated,,but it won't come with any bearings, bushings, seals etc,,,and he'll knock off like $30 or so for not powdercoating it,,,call up houser racing and see what he has in stock,,,odds are if your not wanting it powdercoated then he'll have to make the stuff first then send it to ya,,and that can take some time,,I had to special order my stuff and it took over a month...:(
Im gonna call him! Ive been doing a little lookin around and have found some really awesome *****. So Im not sure if it will be Houser yet or not. I have some companies Ive sent emails to that are going to help me out a little if you know what I mean. I will let you know what I do!

JhallettEX
03-12-2002, 10:53 AM
Chad.........Houser is no longer making the +2+1 arms, I too wanted these but had to settle for the +2. I ordered them from Terry in silver vien and chrome, they look awesome. I think they cost me 520 with the chrome upper arms. I think that John would build the +2+1, but it will cost ya.

Holly S**T, I just looked, If you are really gettin the 505 kit i would go with the +4 for sure.

03-12-2002, 11:06 AM
jhallett is yours runnin OK now.????

JhallettEX
03-12-2002, 11:31 AM
Ummmmmm......Well, Don't know yet. I don't have any area around here to get it goin. I will be goin to Kansas this weekend with it, I will find out then. I did get my FCR 39mm on and got it started and runnin and it sounds alot stronger. I will let you all know about the power this Sunday when I get back.

ChadEXer
03-12-2002, 01:50 PM
Damned it. I really wanted to go Houser but it looks like I will have to do something else. I want at least +2+1 a-arms and a +2 swingarm. I am looking at Wicked Motorsports now. They make some really trick stuff!! You can look at it at www.wickedatv.com

Dave400ex
03-12-2002, 06:58 PM
I would go with Laeger. He has been around forever. The Guy that works on Our Quads just got setup with Laeger today for My Brother. Call Baldwin and ask about the A-Arms and Swingarm. For Shocks I would get Elka Triple Rate SSD Comp. Adjust for $735 from C&D Racing and have your Stock Rear Rebuilt for $275-$285.

ChadEXer
03-13-2002, 10:01 AM
I think right now its between Sandragon and Houser. Sandragon makes some good stuff www.sandragon.com and they are willing to give me a damned good price to pass their name around. I can get the swingarm and a-arms for $700 in my door!!! But then again I KNOW Houser is good so I might just go with them!!

Dave400ex
03-13-2002, 04:58 PM
Sandragon? I have never heard of Them. I would really Check out Laeger. Let us Know what you end up Getting.

ChadEXer
03-13-2002, 05:55 PM
OK, I will have decided by tommorrow and I will let you know! I need to go ahead and order it so I can get it all powdercoated!!