PDA

View Full Version : Elka Shocks

twisted threads
03-29-2004, 03:44 PM
I know there is alot of questions about Elka shocks and I have been reading them for hours now but Im kind of confused about some things..... So here they are
1.what is the difference between ZPS and SSD (talking ELKA shocks only)
2.Im going to buy new shocks and I was going to get some works shocks but I decided to step up and get Elka's insted. Im kind of on a buget. I didn't want to spend over $500 right now but I might go higher if I need to. So If I buy the Elka triple rate W/O rezzies and get the SSD or ZPS(if there is a difference) do I half to rebuild my rear shock right away?
3.Is there such thing as Long Travel shocks on stock lenth A-arms?

I don't race, I ride mostly woods, trails and dunes. I consider myself a good rider and go about as fast as my bike and body will alow but lately the faster I go Im just getting beat up by my stock shocks and at the end of the ride my body is sore and tired and Im sick of it so its time for a up grade!:)

Silverfox@C&DRacing
03-29-2004, 03:55 PM
ssd and zps are the same just means lowered ride height.

It would be nice to do the fronts and the rear conversion at the same time but if you aren't able to you can adjust some of the preload out so that the bike will sit level untill you can get the rear converted.

I know what you mean about the stock shocks beating the crap out of you. Aftermarket shock set up for you and your riding style will make a world of difference.

Cole Trane
03-29-2004, 06:20 PM
What she said........... Your gonna be sore after you ride, if you ride hard, that's just 4 wheelers. If you don't your in way better shape than I am!!

northeast400
03-29-2004, 06:53 PM
I have the same set you are thinking of getting. I love them. I will be honest I did not in the begining. I could not seem to the rear stock shock to work with the Elkas. It took some time but now it is ok.

twisted threads
03-30-2004, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by northeast400
I will be honest I did not in the begining. I could not seem to the rear stock shock to work with the Elkas. It took some time but now it is ok.

what was your bike doing that made you not like it?? And how did you fix it?

I think im going to send my rear shock out and get rebuilt, how much does it cost to get a rear shock rebuilt? How much better is a rebuilt rear shock over a stock shock? And once I get my rear shock done will it work with the ELKA triple rates?
Sorry for all the questions but before I go and spend a $1000+ I like to know what im getting myself into.;) :cool:

44oEX
03-30-2004, 02:12 PM
you can't get long travel with the stock a-arms. you need a-arms that are made for long travel.

twisted threads
03-30-2004, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by 44oEX
you can't get long travel with the stock a-arms. you need a-arms that are made for long travel.
That what I figured but I had to ask:o