PDA

View Full Version : Future camping at Little Sahara, OK.

zephead400ex
03-29-2004, 03:20 PM
This is from Don Miller, the guy who answers online questions located at www.waynoka.com/littlesahara.htm. They are going to stop allowing people to park and/or camp along the roadway at the North Campgroud because of erosion problems. This is what Don has to say.

"Apparently the situation is more fluid than what we knew. The park department has put in motion a 3 year plan for the park and the changes are coming more quickly. Starting this week a 2700 foot section of the North Campground road shoulder will be shut down to traffic. The road side traffic and camping will be shut down in stages instead of all at once. However, by the end of this process, an on-line and call in reservation will be in place so that you will know before you come what is available."

It's cool that you will be able to reserve a spot before you leave to go duning. Like last weekend, there were so many people there, there we not any open camping spots.

Later.

Bad Habit
03-29-2004, 04:34 PM
That will be outstanding if you can finally reserve a camping spot. No more wondering and worrying for the 6 hour drive if I'm gonna get an electric spot when I get there. And it will be sorely needed with the closure of the north road camping. My closest guess is that closing the road is eliminating close to half of the camping spots on the north end of the dunes. I talked to Donnie's step son at the shop this weekend and he is debating on putting some more primitive spots up around the oasis (since he is the one that holds the lease from the state on all that ground). I'd like to see them add elec/water to some of the existing sites there. Have you noticed the number of enclosed trailers and campers that are there on a busy weekend now.

03LE
03-29-2004, 07:05 PM
Wow, I hope they put in some more toilets too :D
The whole time we were there people were talking about how LS is growing in numbers and that they need todo something. One of the rangers told me last Rattlesnake round up brought in like 17000 people... think what it will be like in just a few more years :)

zephead400ex
03-29-2004, 07:06 PM
Dan, I will tell you what, there are so many people going down there these days it is getting crazy. I have noticed that there are a lot of enclosed trailers and campers down there, they do need more electric hook ups. The bad thing about the state park is that all the revenue they make at Little Sahara is put into a "slush" fund for all the other start parks to use. If they would play their cards straight, Little Sahara could be pretty nice with plenty of hookups for everyone. I guarentee they would not lose money on the deal. The ATV and sand rail industry is not going to die anytime soon. I heard they actually had to cut some park rangers to cut back on spending for the park. I guess I don't understand why they can't have a seperate fund for Little Sahara.

Don at the buggy shop is a pretty cool dude. They wood guy, Don, has private land down by the North Campround. That is where we camped last weekend. It is primitive camping, but isolated, and private property.

I am anxious to see what the park is like in maybe 2 years. They keep cutting back but for what reason? Little Sahara brings in a ton of revenue for the state.

Damn hillbilly's!:)

offroadfury
04-06-2004, 12:33 PM
They need more electrical hookups, more acres opened up to ride on, and put more money that they are making back into the Park. They are going to have to do something about the camp spots soon b/c if you dont get there before thursday AM your pretty much SOL.

zephead400ex
04-07-2004, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by zephead400ex
This is from Don Miller, the guy who answers online questions located at www.waynoka.com/littlesahara.htm.

"Apparently the situation is more fluid than what we knew. The park department has put in motion a 3 year plan for the park and the changes are coming more quickly. Starting this week a 2700 foot section of the North Campground road shoulder will be shut down to traffic. The road side traffic and camping will be shut down in stages instead of all at once. However, by the end of this process, an on-line and call in reservation will be in place so that you will know before you come what is available."