PDA

View Full Version : strange noise

quad
03-29-2004, 01:32 PM
I recently adjusted my chain on my 400ex.When I would get it tight as it should be,it would make a howling noise when I would ride it.So I backed it back a bit and the noise is gone.But it has a lil excess slack in it this way.Does anyone know what causes this noise?Am I trying to move carrier further than its supposed to go,or do I need to grease the bearings and such?How hard is it to grease them,and what grease is best.Thanx alot,

Cole Trane
03-29-2004, 01:53 PM
You should have around an inch of play in your chain. If it's still making noise, check sprockets and chain for wierd wear. Also wax your chain with Chain Wax(that's the brand). If it is your bearings, you can get new ones and just replace them. They're pretty cheap.

quad
03-29-2004, 04:50 PM
sprockets are fine.If i have the adjustment correct,it makes the noise.Sounds like the brakes would be howling,but it aint brake related.Im wondering if its dry in the housing.Is it possible the chain is so worn,to have it adjusted correctly,is too much adjustment for the carrier.Putting a bind on the carrier?