PDA

View Full Version : What .22 rifle should I buy?

xr50layke
03-29-2004, 11:44 AM
I'm 16 and I had to shoot a raccoon at my friends house yesterday with another friends .22 so I'm interested in buying a .22 now.

The one I shot was a semi auto with a 20 round clip, it was a nice gun, but got jammed, and wouldnt fire like a semi auto, so i cocked the bolt back again, and then I fire, and then I think it wouldnt fire (because it would only fire one shot, get jammed or something) so I just lazily pointed out into the woods and it goes off! So I dont want a semi auto for that reason and because I dont want to loose clips. Id like a stainless steel/carbon fibre or wood bolt action .22, and I was wondering how much they were, and how much a box of bullets go for (like 10 canadian?) .. Ill be using it for bird hunting, targets and taking down racoons etc that pose a threat.

What brand also.

Berry
03-29-2004, 11:52 AM
rugar semi automatic. i am not shure on the model/make and everything but i have one and i love it. you can buy different clips that hold up too 30 bullets. it is also very accurate and lightweight

Pappy
03-29-2004, 11:54 AM
Ruger 10/22 I have 5 of them that range from your normal grade rifle to a fully tricked out carbon fiber barreled target version:D

The 10/22 was my very first rifle (age 5) and I still have it and love to shoot it. Just be safe out there and take a hunter Safety course:)

Pappy
03-29-2004, 11:56 AM
Chances are the jamming occured due to the ammo. some 22's feed ramps are at too steep an angle and will not properly feed and load some lead nosed ammo. this can cause jamming and also a "hang fire".

redroost85
03-29-2004, 12:14 PM
I use a .22 Mag Marlin, bolt action, tube feed and I think this lil gun is the schiz!:devil: It is stainless steel with a light wood stock and stainless steel scope. I think I have put a million rounds through this baby, lol!:D

I just wanted the extra 'umph' of a Magnum!:macho

AndrewRRR
03-29-2004, 12:15 PM
I have a couple Ruger 10/22 semi autos and they have been extremely reliable. I have only had 1 or 2 malfunctions in probably 20,000 rounds.
Ours would cycle all brands of ammo. I also have a mitchell arms AK-22 (looks like an AK-47 but chambered in .22) and it's loading ramp wouldn't cycle spitfire ammo (they have a truncated bullet which would catch the lip of the loading ramp). I ended up using non truncated bullets and it works great. Most semi-autos will funtion fine with proper ammo.
Keep in mind due to the 10-round limit ole Billy Bob Clinton imposed you won't find a new semi auto that will hold more than 10 rounds. You can still get pre-ban clips though that hold up to 50 rounds (they made some 10/22 clips that held 100 rounds but are extremely rare). Some of the current 10/22's don't have removable clips also, so if you want to hold more get the kind that does.
Stainless barrels are nice since you don't have to worry about corrosion or banging them around. Carbon barrels are very expensive. Synthetic stocks are nice for the same reason, and are pretty reasonably priced.
If you want a bolt-action there are plenty of them out there. I don't have as much experience with them in .22 since I only have two and they are very old.
Other good calibers for racoons, coyotes, etc. are .221 fireball, .22 hornet, .223, and some of the other centerfire .22 variants. A ruger Mini-14 is a great 'coon gun, they are .223.

'03'300ex'er
03-29-2004, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
Ruger 10/22 I have 5 of them that range from your normal grade rifle to a fully tricked out carbon fiber barreled target version:D

The 10/22 was my very first rifle (age 5) and I still have it and love to shoot it. Just be safe out there and take a hunter Safety course:)

he's right this gun is awsome!

bluebaron
03-29-2004, 12:59 PM
i like my 10/22, its a fun little gun. but i had to mini-14, its so fun. Its more powerful(.223) but its great

xr50layke
03-29-2004, 01:03 PM
looking at the remington models, the bolt action they have is $700!!!!!

and the auto loading is 163!!!!

why the 650 dollar jump?

i want stainless steel because i dont like rust :mad:

and yes i would like to hold more than 10 rounds, id like around 40, so i dont have to stop and load all the time. thats crap. ill look at the marlins. okay hands down marlin has the best site! its laid out so an idiot can use it. i dont want a clip, i want a tubular magazine, looks like marlin has one, but its the 22 magnum, not sure if i want that, plus it seems that bolt actions cost 600 more lol. how much more money is magnum ammo?

i like the ruger 10/22, the remington 597 SS, and a bunch o marlins...help me out

xr50layke
03-29-2004, 01:11 PM
i think i just contradicted myself by saying i want a bigger cartidge capacity by saying i want a tubular magazine :o i want a clip now :)

just incase something goes wrong inside the tubular one, i dont wana tear it apart, so ill go with a .22 bolt action w/removable clip.

whats the difference between LR and magnum ammo? the cost?

AndrewRRR
03-29-2004, 01:30 PM
IMO Marlin's are crap.
22 mag has a longer cartridge with more powder so it has more velocity (and thus more impact energy). I perfer 22 LR.
22lr is cheap. I think it's around $9-$10 a brick on sale (a brick is 500 rounds). 22 mag is more spendy but i'm not sure how much.
Which Remington were you looking at? The model 700 is a hunting rifle and they are spendy.

xr50layke
03-29-2004, 01:47 PM
whats a rotary magazine look like?

so far i like the remington 597 SS for $217, but I wanted a bolt action.

marlin has a couple 22 bolt action with clips but they only hold 7 rounds.

oh jeez i just found what the S V and T stands for at the end of 981, T is tubular LOL, bolt action too! thanks guys, i think i found my rifle. holds 25 short cal. rounds too.

Caliber
22 Short, Long or Long Rifle

shoots 3 different ammo too!

but im wondering where you put the bullets in the tube (hopefully a feed ramp), i dont want a gun that you have to put them into the end of the tube. someone got an answer?

AndrewRRR
03-29-2004, 01:51 PM
Usually you do load them into the end of the tube. Thats why i hate tube feed.

xr50layke
03-29-2004, 01:53 PM
im on aim :)

03-29-2004, 03:06 PM
get a Marlin Firearms .22 longrifle. had it since i was 5 yrs old and have never had a problem with it

JustRace
03-29-2004, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by AndrewRRR
A ruger Mini-14 is a great 'coon gun, they are .223.

They are fairly loud too though, so if you don't want a loud gun I would count that out. I love the ruger mini-14 though.

xr50layke
03-29-2004, 04:11 PM
ill be getting the marlin 981S as long as its under 300 bucks. there isnt pricing on their site. any guesses? its what i look for in a gun.

xr50layke
03-29-2004, 04:38 PM
scratch that! the marlin 981S is over 500 bucks!!!!

how come all the semi autos are cheaper?! all guns that marlin makes in 22 are all over 450 bucks wtf.

remington makes this nice gun, 22 LR stainless 10 shot clip semi auto for 217, i think ill buy that :p http://www.remington.com/firearms/rimfire/597ss.htm

jonc623
03-29-2004, 05:14 PM
i say the ruger 10 -22 they are great i have 2 and no problems with them of course that is just a start of my collection

redrider69
03-29-2004, 05:31 PM
HENRY makes a good 22 i like it better than my marlin and its a lever action and the marlins a semi auto i like the lever action because every semi auto is gonna get hung a lil

beak7707
03-29-2004, 05:39 PM
The ruger 10/22 is a great 22. Also the Remington Nylons were great 22's, they are no longer made but you will be able to find one. They were made for coon hunters and to take all the abuse you could give them. I have a few of the 50rd clips for the 10/22 along with the trigger crank that makes it fully auto, its alot of fun to play with. All of those high cap. mags are getting very expensive though, even the 25rd banana mags are around 50-70 bucks. The 10/22 has tons of aftermarket accessories to pimp it out, so I would probably go with it. If you happen to stumble across a Nylon I wouldn't pass it up either.

xr50layke
03-29-2004, 06:13 PM
how much are them lever actions? never thought id like one, but those bolts are sooo much money.

i like the 10/22 but the rotary clip is...not my style. id like a detachable clip. how much are new/used 10/22s?

brif
03-29-2004, 06:23 PM
Ruger 10/22's are great guns. I also have a REM. 597 in 17hmr and it's OK but wouldn't say as reliable as the ruger. If you want a bolt buy a CZ. These are great rifles and are very accurate($200 american). They have a website www.czusa.com and for anything you'll ever want to know on rimfires is www.rimfirecentral.com keep in mind most members of this site are older. They have alot of good info to give and could recommend rifles you never heard of before. Good Luck on your purchase.......

redrider69
03-29-2004, 06:34 PM
the henry cost 150

beak7707
03-29-2004, 06:39 PM
The rotary clip in the 10/22, is detachable. It just fits flush with the bottom on the gun. If you buy a high cap mag then it will stick out the bottom.

beak7707
03-29-2004, 06:41 PM
A new 10/22 will be 190-220, and you can find a nice used one for about 150.

WKY400EX
03-29-2004, 07:41 PM
Ruger 10/22 is a great gun. Fun to shoot. You'll soon find yourself wanting to ditch the stock rotary clip for a banana clip.:D

xr50layke
03-29-2004, 08:17 PM
who makes a stainless bolt action .22 LR with a removable clip? i go to czusa but my comp froze 3 times in a friggin row.

still like the 10/22 (banana clip) and the rem. 597SS :D

Woodsrider
03-29-2004, 08:44 PM
Chances are the jamming occured due to the ammo. some 22's feed ramps are at too steep an angle and will not properly feed and load some lead nosed ammo. this can cause jamming and also a "hang fire".

Pappy I have found that my Ruger wont cycle some of the cheaper rounds very well so now I only buy jacketed ammo for it. But I also find that some of my plastic 20 & 30rnd mags jam, even with the jacketed ammo:( I dont suppose you could provide me with a name of a quality built high capacity mag to look for at the next gun show:)

HondaEXer
03-29-2004, 10:32 PM
QUOTE:i want stainless steel because i dont like rust :mad:QUOTE

if u clean it after everytime u use it, it wont rust, and dont store it in damp places

Disaster
03-29-2004, 10:50 PM
I have a Marlin .22 lever action and love it totally accurate I can hit anything with it...

Jnine
03-29-2004, 10:52 PM
You can't go wrong with the Ruger. They are extremely reliable, but my facorite play around 22 is my Winchester 9422. I just like the lever actions, and it has the tube magazine you liked.

One thing I have noticed is that some ammo has a waxy coating that tends to get sticky. That can cause a jamming problem. For the 22, I like the CCI stinger shells. They are a little hotter as well, and you can tell the difference when you shoot them. Also, they are very clean, never jam, are hollow points, and do a great job on woodchucks and smaller critters.

For long range stuff I like my Ruger .270 bolt action. They are deadly at a long distance.

Talk to you later!

JA

Got Roost?
03-30-2004, 07:15 AM
Anschutz:devil:

xr50layke
03-30-2004, 07:15 AM
decided on the CZ 452 style :) thanks

ATC Crazy
03-30-2004, 07:20 AM
I love my Marlin .22 Bolt action, 7rd. clip, with a BSA .22 Special scope.

Good luck with your choice ;)

Pappy
03-30-2004, 07:21 AM
Originally posted by soggyrider
Pappy I have found that my Ruger wont cycle some of the cheaper rounds very well so now I only buy jacketed ammo for it. But I also find that some of my plastic 20 & 30rnd mags jam, even with the jacketed ammo:( I dont suppose you could provide me with a name of a quality built high capacity mag to look for at the next gun show:)

there really isnt a quality high capacity magazine for the 10/22. some of the magazines use cheap springs and thats what usually cause the jamming problems.

I , like jnine, prefer cci stingers. I have taken many crop damage deer with these rounds thru my 22 at ranges up to 100 yards with head shots. the cci stingers are the highest velocity round readily available for the 22 and they work like a champ!

the coating on alot of the lead nosed bullets is to lube the barrel as a 22 barrel shouldnt ever be cleaned if using pure lead rounds. copper jacketed rounds wont foul much at all in a 22, but i cheat and at the end of a shooting session i usually fire 20 lead rounds thru the firearm and she is ready to be wiped down and put away:D

Jnine
03-30-2004, 08:15 AM
Why don't you like to clean it if you are firing lead? I've always used the jacketed bullets, but I was just wondering. By the way, do you make hand loads for the larger stuff? A lot of guys tend to do it as a hobby I think, but it looks like it takes a lot of time and equipment. I just try to buy the premium shells that some companies offer because I had heard a few hand load guys say they are very accurate, but obviously a little more expensive.

beak7707
03-30-2004, 08:20 AM
I've always had great luck with the Butler creek 25rd clips. My Mitchell arms 50rd drum usually works perfect too, just time consuming to load. I've always had good luck using Remington shells too.

Pappy
03-30-2004, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by Jnine
Why don't you like to clean it if you are firing lead? I've always used the jacketed bullets, but I was just wondering. By the way, do you make hand loads for the larger stuff? A lot of guys tend to do it as a hobby I think, but it looks like it takes a lot of time and equipment. I just try to buy the premium shells that some companies offer because I had heard a few hand load guys say they are very accurate, but obviously a little more expensive.

I reload for over 40 different cartridges:eek2: The only round i havent been able to improve on is the 30-30.

all of my rifles from .223 to 300 ultra mag will shoot under 1/4 moa at 200 yards and i dont make any changes to the rifles other then setting up the trigger and checking the bedding.

Im not sure of the technical reasons for not cleaning a 22 barrel. I shoot with some old fellas and they have preached that since I was a wee pup. I have tried seeing if it made a difference in accuracy but I couldnt tell one way or another:p

Getting into handloading isnt that bad. a basic rcbs rockchucker kit will run you less then $250 and a die set is about $30. powder runs around $22 a pound and for the standard cartridge 150 rounds to the pound is close. Bullet selection will vary but ive had great success with Hornady and Nosler and they also are around $22 a box of 100.

I have digital measuring devices and even a small lathe for trimming cases, but the fancy stuff isnt required to load rounds.

xr50layke
03-31-2004, 09:17 AM
the cz style is too much $$$$ i think ill get the scout. thanks.

cletusEX
03-31-2004, 09:48 AM
Ruger also makes a bolt action 22 called the 77/22. They are pretty nice and come in stainless. Also the 10/22 mags will fit in the 77/22.

shamisc
03-31-2004, 10:03 AM
I love my Dad's 10/22 we bought him! It has the stainless barrel with the shiny wood stock. It's a beautiful peice.:D

xr50layke
03-31-2004, 12:46 PM
I didnt know the 77/10 was a bolt. Ill check it out. HELL NO, theyre all over $550, american, im canadian. jeez.

a scout is what ill get :o

AndrewRRR
03-31-2004, 03:59 PM
Are you sure you don't want a 10/22? I see them going for $150 U.S. all the time and are really reliable and fun to shoot. Pretty darn good accuracy too. Ours shoots less than 1" at 50yds. with pretty much any ammo. Plus you can get all kinds of cool synthetic stocks, barrels, clips, scopes, etc. since they are popular guns. Mine has a folding synthetic stock and a 4-9x scope.

brif
03-31-2004, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by xr50layke
I didnt know the 77/10 was a bolt. Ill check it out. HELL NO, theyre all over $550, american, im canadian. jeez.

a scout is what ill get :o You're making a good decision going with a CZ. What you should look for is the "trainer" model. I believe this model was discontinued but it's the best buy. It looks just like the "lux" model, but has a birch stock instead of of walnut. The rest of the gun is the same.

brif
03-31-2004, 05:09 PM
I reload for over 40 different cartridges:eek2: The only round i havent been able to improve on is the 30-30.

all of my rifles from .223 to 300 ultra mag will shoot under 1/4 moa at 200 yards and i dont make any changes to the rifles other then setting up the trigger and checking the bedding.

Im not sure of the technical reasons for not cleaning a 22 barrel. I shoot with some old fellas and they have preached that since I was a wee pup. I have tried seeing if it made a difference in accuracy but I couldnt tell one way or another:p

Getting into handloading isnt that bad. a basic rcbs rockchucker kit will run you less then $250 and a die set is about $30. powder runs around $22 a pound and for the standard cartridge 150 rounds to the pound is close. Bullet selection will vary but ive had great success with Hornady and Nosler and they also are around $22 a box of 100.

I have digital measuring devices and even a small lathe for trimming cases, but the fancy stuff isnt required to load rounds. I also reload and have had much better luck reloading. I shoot praire dogs every year and use ballistic tips so reloading is a must.
As far as for a beginning reloader I'd reccomend the Lee kit. Everthing you need to reload, less dies and reloading components. You can purchase the kit for about $60. This is a small investment and if you don't think reloadings your thing or maybe only reload a few rounds a year for deer hunting you don't have alot of cash tied up.
If later you reload more and want to get different equipment then you can upgrade from there. But for a beginning reloader who doesn't know what his exspectations are this is the best way to go.

Pappy
03-31-2004, 05:12 PM
I tried a lee kit but i geuss i had used the rcbs stuff to long and didnt like it.

i do however use lee crimp dies religously!!!! i honest ly think the make a huge difference on some loads

WEEZIL
03-31-2004, 05:15 PM
Pappy!
yer the man. the 10/22 is awesome. Definately go with it

spud400ex
03-31-2004, 05:25 PM
i didnt read thru the thread, so if someone mentioned this sorry. you can get a .22 cricket from wal-mart for $90, it is single shot and very accurate. my friend was shooting hand thrown bluerock with his. and i hit a 55 gal. barrel at 80 yards str8 armed with it. 10/22 is an awesome gun to, mine has a 3 power scope on it and is just as accurate as the cricket.

brif
03-31-2004, 06:06 PM
A crickit is a little kids gun. A full size rifle with good sights or optics but for a beginner I'd stick with the irons. Out of all my rimfires if I could keep just one it would be my smith model 41. Sure this is a pistol, sells for just under a grand but, it's the best. The way things are going get all the guns you can now.

brif
03-31-2004, 06:12 PM
I tried a lee kit but i geuss i had used the rcbs stuff to long and didnt like it.

i do however use lee crimp dies religously!!!! i honest ly think the make a huge difference on some loads I agree going from RCBS to Lee would kinda suck, but for a rookie it'd be the way to go. I used to crimp some .223 for a auto and always had to crimp the 454 cassul's. I prefer the RCDS dies, I like how the nut on the die has a set screw to lock it in place, never had good luck with the lee system's nut. I always seemed to move it when I'd screw it in.

red
03-31-2004, 07:05 PM
i got a winchester 94-22 lever action.
i just prefer the look of the lever action.

bluebaron
03-31-2004, 07:21 PM
i think that the assualt weapons is up, this june, ussless they vote to reenstate it. if they dont, manufactors can start make high cap , mags, and folding stocks, and other stuff.

please correct me if im wrong

xr50layke
03-31-2004, 09:20 PM
everybody is saying how good the 10/22 is, and I like it, but I dont like the rotary clip. Is the clip like a revolver clip?....Well, as long as theyre is detachable straight clips for a 10/22, i'd buy one :), the CZ scout is light (4lbs), and under 200 bucks. honestly though, id rather have accuracy over lightness, because i want to be a good shot.

someone tell me if you can replace rotary clips with straight clips so i can buy a 10/22 damnit