PDA

View Full Version : 300ex Serious Problem

hsr
03-29-2004, 11:03 AM
Ok i have a question...I just got done installing new piston rings, a new cam, and rocker arms in my 300ex. Everything was put back together correctly, and moly lube was applied to the cam and rockers before installation. I loosened the oil line running to the head when i started the motor up for the first time to make sure that i was getting oil to the head, and i was. I tightened the oil line bolt back down, and i was going to go for a 15-20 minute ride above 2000 RPM like you are supposed to when you break a new cam in. Well, i couldn't get my machine to start, i just installed a new battery, and cleaned the carb. I am getting spark and gas, but i don't know if i am getting enough air??? My main concern is whether or not the cylinder head is getting oil pumped to it when i am cranking on the battery but the machine isn't starting??? There is a little bit of smoke that blows out of the breather hose that comes out of the top of the head after i try starting, and i am very worried that i might be damaging my brand new cam and rockers, or could it just be the Moly Lube burning up, or possibly oil burning. This hose seems like it is serving more as an exhaust than a breather? But i can't see why my cam and rockers could be damaged if there is indeed oil being pumped to the head even if the machine isn't starting??? I am lost, and help would be appreciated

honda250xrider
03-29-2004, 11:49 AM
first try to see if you are getting fuel into your engine, then make sure you are getting spark. did you check your timing when you put it back together

ghak99
03-29-2004, 02:32 PM
It sounds like you timing could be off or you valve lash might be set wrong. Just double check everything!

hsr
03-29-2004, 03:16 PM
the timing is on, and the valves are good, i was just wondering what could have possibly been causing the smoke to be coming out of the breather hose? I know for sure that i am getting spark and fuel also

sickmojave
03-29-2004, 03:20 PM
I'm no pro but it seems like you would get some blow-by on the rings untill they are broke in. this may be where you smoke is coming from.

westcoastmxer
03-29-2004, 03:46 PM
1st make sure jetting is right and everythings tight in carb cuzz the more power u got the more fuel and air u need..mine wouldnt start the other day and it was tight valve...hope i could help

hsr
03-29-2004, 04:51 PM
Is there any chance that i am grinding metal on metal , as in rocker arm on cam creating heat and the smoke that is coming out of the breather hose... there should be oil getting pumped to this area even if it isn't starting right???

sickmojave
03-29-2004, 05:00 PM
I would think that there is oil up there by now. if it was metal on metal I think you would hear it grinding.

toby400ex
03-29-2004, 05:03 PM
I wouldnt worry about messing up the cam and rockers just trying to start the thing, especially with all the grease you put on them. I dunno about those other probs though.

hsr
03-29-2004, 05:09 PM
Yeah that is my main concern , i know that i'll eventually get the thing started, i just don't want to destroy $250 of brand new parts in the process!

beak7707
03-29-2004, 05:43 PM
I know you said it timed right, but it sounds like its out of time. Are you sure it not 180 out of time. If it is timed right, put a bigger pilot jet in it. With the new mods the pilot might be to little to get it to fire.

Out_Sider
03-29-2004, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by beak7707
I know you said it timed right, but it sounds like its out of time. Are you sure it not 180 out of time. If it is timed right, put a bigger pilot jet in it. With the new mods the pilot might be to little to get it to fire.

yea, the timing is 180 off, thats why the smoke is coming out of the breather hose ;) i had the same problem when i put my 300 back together

hsr
03-30-2004, 08:07 AM
So what exactly is creating the smoke?

beak7707
03-30-2004, 08:31 AM
The smoke isn't that big of a deal. My 300ex and my friends 300ex both with cams and all the goodies smoke a little out of the breather hose, thats why its there. It's just like a vehicle motor, go find a 350 with a breather on top of the valve cover, it will be smoking. If it's out of time which I think it is, It will also be opening the wrong valves at the wrong time. This may be contributing to the smoke also. It easy to bend valves when they aren't timed right also, so you may want to check that. To time it just put the lobes on the cam facing down. Line up the T on the flywheel, and put you marks on you cam sprocket in line with the top of the head. If you need anything else pm me I've been into a lot of 300's, I'm sure i can help you out.

hsr
03-30-2004, 11:39 AM
Ok cool , that helps out alot , thanks