PDA

View Full Version : XR 400 Cam

mrnate400ex
03-29-2004, 10:52 AM
I am looking at getting an XR400 cam to replace my stocker on my ex. I have heard that they are comparable to the stage one hot cam. How much trouble are they to install?? I am fairly mechanically inclined so I am sure I can do it. Let me know!!!

sickmojave
03-29-2004, 10:56 AM
it's really easy just get a manual.

03-29-2004, 10:56 AM
*giggles* aren't they the same?

mrnate400ex
03-29-2004, 10:59 AM

no, actually the xr cam is supposed to wake up the old 400ex pretty good.

sickmojave
03-29-2004, 11:01 AM
I run a xr cam in mine and like it ;)

Hondaluva
03-29-2004, 11:06 AM
The only thing that is even kind of hard is making sure the timing is correct. Just make sure that once you set the new cam in and line up the gear on the chain you check the positioning agian once there is tention on the chain. I did it my first time last weekend and the timing was spot on the first try. Good luck.

mrnate400ex
03-29-2004, 11:08 AM
sickmojave, did you have to rejet or reset your timing after you installed it?? i have a k&n and a yoshimura slip on and i am running a 170 main dyno jet. you think i will need to rejet?? also, did you have to pull your motor out?? do i need new gaskets??

sickmojave
03-29-2004, 11:14 AM
I was just a little rich before I put mine in so no I didn't have to rejet. the timing was set the same as stock. no on pulling the motor or needing gaskets.;)

mrnate400ex
03-29-2004, 11:18 AM
i'm pretty sure i am a little rich as well. sounds rather simple. thanks for your help!!

sickmojave
03-29-2004, 11:21 AM
the valve clearance is the same as on the stock cam. ;)

UglyMotha™
03-29-2004, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by DarkManX

uhhh no...... the xr cam is a more aggressive cam than the ex cam :huh

H_W
03-29-2004, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by mrnate400ex
I am looking at getting an XR400 cam to replace my stocker on my ex. I have heard that they are comparable to the stage one hot cam. How much trouble are they to install?? I am fairly mechanically inclined so I am sure I can do it. Let me know!!!

The cam is not hard to replace, like someone said just get a manual and it is pretty simple. I thought the hotcam stage 1 was a little more aggressive than the xr400 cam. I know the stage 2 is.

mrnate400ex
03-29-2004, 01:57 PM
yeah, i think that the hot cam stage 1 is a little more aggessive, but i don't think the difference it too much. anything is better than the stocker!!!

sickmojave
03-29-2004, 02:11 PM
If you aren't racing then it's a really good cam. I don't race I mostly trail ride and play around on a small mx track and it works fine for me. but that don't mean you can't race with it, I believe Rico still runs one in his quad. It's a nice gain over stock and the best part is it's made by Honda for a Honda. If I ever change it I will get the HRC cam.;)

UglyMotha™
03-30-2004, 05:11 AM
the stage one IS quite a bit more aggressive than the xr 400 cam low end wise

Goat397
03-30-2004, 04:46 PM
what would be the best cam for stock springs and rockers ?

400exdad
03-30-2004, 04:59 PM
The XR cam is the best upgrade cam, especially if you want to use the stock rockers and springs. I love mine. While there may be some the say a TC or Web or whatever, its my opinion that with the XR cam, the good old 400 will last almost forever. It's OEM!

If you are going to do it yourself, get the Honda manual. It is full of useful info and you'll need it for torque specs, tightening sequence and to figure out where that pesky little spring went that fell out when you turned that part upside down. :D

My 400 didn't have a whole lot of time on it when I did the swap, so I went with a stock bore high compression piston and some mild head porting at the same time. It may not be the most powerful beast out there, but it has plenty of power for me.

Spikers400
03-31-2004, 06:40 PM
Did you notice a big difference with the high comp piston. Im looking to get a hotcam stage 1 and a weisco 11.1 piston. WOuld you think the gains would be worth the time? Ive never replaced a piston, is it a complicated process?

cals400ex
03-31-2004, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by Spikers400
Did you notice a big difference with the high comp piston. Im looking to get a hotcam stage 1 and a weisco 11.1 piston. WOuld you think the gains would be worth the time? Ive never replaced a piston, is it a complicated process?

buy a manual and fully understand it before doing anything. no, it isn't hard but an extra set of hands is nice for the first time.

400exdad
04-01-2004, 06:19 AM
Originally posted by Spikers400

^^^ Like he said. Definately get a book.

I didn't want to lose any low end, thats why I went with the H.C. piston. Check the "Have you decked...." in the FAQ section. It is full of great info. I did the XR headgasket and I think a .010 base gasket to end up with a 10.2 to 1... going from memory here. :) Its not difficult... the book explains each step and will walk you through it. One thing.. you've got to have a torque wrench that goes low enough. I use an inch pound wrench and multiply the foot pound by 12. Even at that, it is still low in the tools range on mine.

I've ridden one 440, but I haven't drag raced anyone to compare it to a 416 or 426. It doesn't have the snap that those do, but then again, I don't have a pipe either. It does pull fairly hard in the mid range similar to the 440 I rode.... but hey I'm biased. When I'm alone on the trails, it's the fastest thing out there! :D :D