PDA

View Full Version : hiper integrated hub question

jmoney45
03-29-2004, 08:46 AM
Got my hipers mounted up no problem, but with the integrated rear hub it is a real pain to get the cotter pin in. It took quite a bit of bending of the pin and some patience (which I usually have little of) to finally get them in. The axle nut area is recessed so there is not much room. Just wondering if anyone uses different cotter pins or cotter keys instead to allow easier removal. I'd like to periodically swap my tires and don't want to go through that every time.

BTW these rims rock. :cool:

A4StrokeGuy
03-29-2004, 11:26 AM
I have the same problem on my 8 inch Hipers, i just weasil it in there, takes sum time though. Make sure u keep and eye on the axle nut that holds the hub on, i have problems keeping mine tight.

jordan

Silverfox@C&DRacing
03-29-2004, 03:48 PM
I agree getting the cotterkey on the nut with the 8" hipers is a pain.
do you use an impact to tighten the nut? That is what we use and they don't come loose.

A4StrokeGuy
03-29-2004, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by Silverfox@C&DRacing
I agree getting the cotterkey on the nut with the 8" hipers is a pain.
do you use an impact to tighten the nut? That is what we use and they don't come loose.

Unfortuantly i don't use a impact due to the fact if i have to change tires at the track, i need to get them off with sum what ease. I just keep and eye on them and if i have to i bust out the breaker bar

jmoney45
03-29-2004, 06:38 PM
I got a torque wrench. Any idea what I should torque them at?

LazeR
03-30-2004, 01:45 AM
Stock hubs are supposed to be torqued to 101 ft/lbs! Not sure about the hipers though, maybe there the same ?:confused:

jmoney45
03-30-2004, 07:17 AM
Thanks for the info. 101 ft/lbs? That seems kinda high. I thought you just had to snug them good and the cotter would keep them from moving. I'll check them out tonite.