PDA

View Full Version : performance tricks!

Wayne64SS
03-29-2004, 06:22 AM
Gotta 03 300ex. I was reading my owners manual and it said emissions are controlled partially by using lean carb settings and the factory spark arrestor, etc. I know there are people out there who know more about this stuff than me. My question is, does anyone know any tips or tricks to get this to be faster without loosing reliablilty and without spending over $20. Like maybe removing spark arrestor and richening the carb? I know I know buy a pipe and spend somoe money. But heres the thing, I have a project car that I am spending about $10 grand on before summer so I dont really have money to dump into the quad..... Just wondering if there was anything i can do to hold me over? THanks in advance.

03-29-2004, 06:53 AM
other than basic jetting and filter.. everything costs you in the 3 digits and up.

i suggest running higher grade pump gas. Going from 87 to 93 I felt the difference.

Wayne64SS
03-29-2004, 10:14 AM
yes i do run 93 definitely. So what your saying is removing the spark arrestor and playing with carb setting wont free up any hp?

atvracr350
03-29-2004, 03:33 PM
yes, if you take out your spark arrestor, air box lid, and play with your jetting and get it right, you will have an increase in power and it shouldn't cost more than 20 bucks to buy all the jets you need to get it right. It just takes riding it and checking the plug and the feel of it.

SubnetZero
03-29-2004, 10:43 PM
also, pull the boot to the air box and make the slide is opening ALL the way when you full throttle it....

You would be surprise how many dealers set that up wrong and people dont realize.. Upon finding the problem, they "feel" like they just modded it heheh ;)

Wayne64SS
03-30-2004, 06:25 AM
ok cool ill definitely check the slide. Any idea of where i should start with the jetting? I have never re-jetted a carb before im kind of a fuel injection guy myself. LoL thanks for all the ideas. ill mess with it this weekend i think.