PDA

View Full Version : New Cam/Ignition Key ?'s

andrew360
03-28-2004, 10:58 PM
Okay. I want to cam up the motor in the EX, but I want to see an "all-around" gain; I'd prefer if the most noticeable gain was on the lower end, but I'm still looking for an all-around benefit. Does anyone have anything in their quad that has worked out well for them? Any reccomendations please. Also, are the $20 ignition advance keys worth it? How hard are these to install? What company should I go with on an advance key if it's a decent gain? Thanks for the help.

zephead400ex
03-29-2004, 11:34 AM
I would recommend either an XR400 cam or a Stage 2 hotcam. Both of these produce low-to-midrange power. From what I hear, the Sparks Advanced timing key is a plus. It produces instant throttle response while adding all around power. However, Sparks does not recommend running the key with a built motor. I am not sure if "built" refers to just adding a cam or actually having a higher compression piston, port and polish, etc.

I am sure you will get some more response that can elaborate what Sparks means as "built."

Hope this helps.

Doibugu2
03-29-2004, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by zephead400ex
I would recommend either an XR400 cam or a Stage 2 hotcam. Both of these produce low-to-midrange power.

The stage 2 hotcam, is not comparable to the XR. The stage 1 hotcam is.

zephead400ex
03-29-2004, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by Doibugu2
The stage 2 hotcam, is not comparable to the XR. The stage 1 hotcam is.

oops, that is what I meant. Stage 2 is for mid-to-wot.

Thanks for clearing that up!:D

cals400ex
03-29-2004, 12:14 PM
the sparks key will make the throttle response more crisp. they will work good with just a cam. some prefer not to run them with a piston due to the extra heat. if your just using the stock piston, it is worth a shot. by the way, i have one for sale if you do want one.

hotrodhonda400
03-29-2004, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by cals400ex
the sparks key will make the throttle response more crisp. they will work good with just a cam. some prefer not to run them with a piston due to the extra heat. if your just using the stock piston, it is worth a shot. by the way, i have one for sale if you do want one. how much do ya want for it and did ya have 2? or did it not work well for you?

cals400ex
03-29-2004, 07:10 PM
actually it was only in a bike for a month or so. we took it out because we added a higher compression piston. now it is just sitting around. it is actually my friends key but he is selling it. andrew asked about it first so he gets first dibs, but if he doesn't want it your second on the list. my friend wants $15 shipped. cal

andrew360
03-30-2004, 12:56 AM
Originally posted by cals400ex
actually it was only in a bike for a month or so. we took it out because we added a higher compression piston. now it is just sitting around. it is actually my friends key but he is selling it. andrew asked about it first so he gets first dibs, but if he doesn't want it your second on the list. my friend wants $15 shipped. cal

Cal, you are a true gentleman is your business dealings! Check your e-mail brother.
Peace,
Andrew