PDA

View Full Version : trx are yfz

redrider24_03
03-28-2004, 07:27 PM
i am trying to figure out what to get a 450R are the yfz. i have had a 250ex, 400ex and i whould like to stay true to honda. but while i was rideing at redriver dunes this guy on his yfz said that he had been on both bikes and that the yfz was better in all areas. is this true. i have been on many forums that ask the same question i do but they don't ride in the same conditions that i do. i ride on mostly trail's and some times sand. i know that the trx is a better trail quad but it has a very tall 1st gear for that kinda of rideing. whould someone plzz help me.

old school R
03-28-2004, 07:44 PM
you cant go wrong with a honda they cant be beat! The yfz is a good quad but HONDA reliability cant be beat

the Z Man
03-28-2004, 07:49 PM
I was leary of my 450r of the tall first gear, also my buddy on his YFZ was a little faster, he was piped and jetted to my stock but was faster. Well, since then I have only piped and filtered mine and now I can pull him slightly. In my opinion the YFZ has better suspension for the really rough stuff, but, finally after dialing in my shocks I have to say it is nice to ride smooth and take the hard hits with ease. First gear was hard to get used to and jumping logs was more of a chore than pleasure, I got used to clutching alot and keeping it in the revs a bit more but once I got used to it I am much faster than I was on my 400ex and am less fatigued, the kick start has never failed me as long as I keep off the gas, in my mind I went from a B rider to an A and am signed in as an A rider for the Iowa ATV Harescramble Series, i'm 41. I did sell my buddy a 400ex thumb throttle to put on his YFZ because the Yammi was too stiff: I think the 450r handles better, can be faster and is an all around a great bike, the only fall back is the lack of aftermarket parts, but that is changing everyday. This is just my opinion,,,
Watch out for The Z Man

Hammer trx450r
03-28-2004, 07:49 PM
if the yzf is as good as my trx then flip a quarter are a nickle:D

LostCause439
03-28-2004, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by old school R
you cant go wrong with a honda they cant be beat! The yfz is a good quad but HONDA reliability cant be beat
You know i hear this alot but i think all quads are reliable if you maintain them

JDiablo
03-28-2004, 08:23 PM
for the tall gear go to a 14th tooth sprocket or is it 13th tooth o well it one of them

Scottie Mac
03-28-2004, 08:48 PM
Asking which quad is better on a forum is like asking who is the best NFL team. You are going to get a bunch of different answers. The ONLY way you are going to be happy with your decision is to make it yourself. Try to arrange to ride on both and then decide. I have a YFZ, I have ridden a couple of TRXs, both are nice, I prefer the YFZ. BUT, if you talk to someone who has a TRX that has ridden a YFZ, they will more than likely tell you the TRX is better.

A lot of it depends on what you are going to do. If you plan on racing mx, both can be made into a race quad, just cheaper on the YFZ. The YFZ handles better stock for stock, but if you race, you probably won't be leaving anything stock.

For trail ridding, well again, pick your poison. The TRX has a softer seat, the YFZ has electric start. Some people coupld care less about the kick start issue, others, hate it. Again, this comes down to personaly preference.

As far as reliability goes, 99% of reliability is proper maintenance. There have been a few people with battery issues with the YFZ. I haven't nor have I ever seen any in person. (this includes all the races I have attended, a lot) The TRX seems to have a have a weak spot around the kicker. Again, haven't seen one in person.

Basically, like I said, make up your own mind. That way you will be happy in the end.

Scott

Matty24s
03-29-2004, 02:09 PM
I say go with the Honda.But thats just my opinion!!!!

WOracing19
03-29-2004, 02:43 PM
i have a new 450r. I love it. It walks by anything my friends have, so im happy:D

Woody_YFZ
03-30-2004, 12:32 AM
I think everyone has different riding styles. I own both a TRX and a YFZ. I rent them out here in Utah and I'll keep you posted on what the feedback is on them. I took them both out today (both completely stock) and ran them together with my brother and I think we both agree they are great bikes, but the Yamaha has the edge in most every category. He weighs 70lbs more than me and it didn't matter who was riding the YFZ, it won every time. When he was on it, it was only by about a bike length and when I was on the YFZ it would win by 3 - 5 bike lengths. We adjusted the suspension on both and the Yamaha has more adjustment options and when we jumped them the rear shock on the YFZ felt more plush, but again I don't think anyone would be disappointed with either of these bikes. Just pick your color or what fits your riding style. They are both excellent!!

r boy24
04-14-2004, 09:31 PM
yfz is a good bike but so is the trx you pick

allmixedup047
04-19-2004, 08:06 PM
the trx has 6 more peak ft. pounds of tourque than the yfz and it creates power a little quicker. the yfz will get it in the long run in top in from what ive been hearing, but in the dyno charts ive seen the trx has it in top end by about 1 or 2 mph. i went through the same decision when buying mine. it was a real hard decision when i went to buy one and they were the exact same price at a dealer in springfield MO. i rode both and just liked the way the honda felt when riding it, i liked the seat a whole hell of a lot better than the yfz. it felt like i was sittin on an ironing board when riding the yfz. its was alot easier to slide side to side on the seat of the trx so i decided to go with the trx with the HRC kit. i love it. first gear is real tall but i like it when drag racing. my buddies in there stock banshees were in 3rd by the time i shifted into 2nd. yfz and the trx are both great bikes, yamaha and honda have really got there stuff together with 2 beasts.
good luck in your decision.:D
chris from KC

yellowrider
04-20-2004, 04:58 AM
i love my yfz. i havent had any troubles yet with the bike.. but since yamaha just lets anyone run a dealership its hard to get a good honest answer to any question i have about the bike.

the seat is hard. but i dont notice it till i am done riding ...

its really about what brand you truste, and how you maintain your biikes,,

i got a friend that broke his 450r hard and hasnt had a single problem with his . . and he had his for months..

i broke mine half easy and half hard. I havent noticed any problems yeet,. and i prob have more miles on mine then he does on his 450 caukse i ride a whole lot more than he does..

so it all boils down if you want blue white black , or just red

i choosed blue and i been happy..

i dont think either bike will last as long as a 400ex.

brandonpeake
04-20-2004, 08:46 AM
as far as the maintence goes look on yfzcentral.com and look how many are having issues with some plugs falling out and how many are having coolant leaks, yes minor problems but still i dont want to buy a new bike and leave it in the dealership for a month, also then there is the rectifier from trail tech for the battery issues you will need

honestly i had decided on the yfz until i started looking at yfzcentral.com and i have talked with pappy and several others about the rear linkage on the R and the yfz and im going Red , Honda Red , so i think its preference some but i ride xc and trail ride, so i think a pipe and down a tooth on the front sprocket will help you out alot

similiar sitaution i feel as with a raptor i have had a stock one my girlfriend rode and i hated it , i bought it for me b/c my friend had one and i i rode his and liked it but he went down a tooth on the front sprocket and piped his made it feel like a different bike, so i rode my 400ex and the raptoir sat!
anyways i see easy fixes to the 450r and its not breaking down on people!

jlm996s
04-20-2004, 09:13 AM
I went with the 450R simply b/c it felt more comfortable for my style of riding. I didn't like the fact that it didn't have an electric start at first, but after getting used to it....it's not that big of a deal. After a few mods, I'll be beating my friend's YFZ and not have a sore arse!

Pappy
04-20-2004, 09:52 AM
I raced my YFZ on saturday and my TRX on sunday.

The only bad things to say is the YFZ throttle is too damn stiff and the seat is slicker then owl chit when muddy:p other then that i felt right at home on either quad.

GoOn3
04-20-2004, 10:11 AM
If i'm paying 6 grand for a quad, the darn thing better have electric start!

jlm996s
04-20-2004, 10:13 AM
If i'm paying 6 grand for a quad, the darn thing better have electric start!

Don't buy the 450R then.

jjthekj
04-20-2004, 10:45 AM
What if the new Suzuki 450 has reverse? Do the TRX and YFZ become "also rans"? I just rode my girlfriend's Z400 and it's sweet! Unless you are racing (or you just want a faster quad than your buddies) it seems to me to be overkill to spend so much money (plus what you add to it in parts and accessories) on a bike with no e-start and no reverse. Not trying to step on any toes here, but i"ve been waiting 15 years for the new "R" and I feel like they fell a little short of the mark. A 350# kick start no reverse quad with 40+ horse power.... I've got one.......A 250R!!

allmixedup047
04-20-2004, 07:55 PM
im gettin a pipe and slip on in a couple days and i still cant decide which one to get. SPARKS,LRD,HMF, to many to pick and they are all to close in performance. im going to want it for dune riding. my uncle has sparks on his 416 and i like it alot, but which one is best for my 450r with the hrc kit.
thanks for your time

blue_rider_69
04-20-2004, 09:01 PM
I really love my yfz but not to fond of the styling. Did they really have to put the big bird beak in the front? I think the 450R has the sickest styling of any quad yet, but I still wouldn't trade it for my yamaha.
Wish the yfz had a kickstart option also, grew up with kickstarts. Feel like a puss pressin the dumb little button to start up, lol.

Scottie Mac
04-20-2004, 09:07 PM
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh................ the YFZ DOES have a kick start option. Actually, you can have both, but it kind of takes the reason for adding the kicker away - to save weight. Unless you just want a back up, which is a good idea on any quad.

Scott

jjthekj
04-20-2004, 11:07 PM
I never thought to wonder if you could keep your e-start on the YFZ with the kick start option. I believe I'd have to do it!

blue_rider_69
04-21-2004, 02:29 AM
What would win in a drag race? A banshee or a yfz?

Woody_YFZ
04-21-2004, 05:08 AM
I mentioned earlier that I rent both of the quads out. It's been about a month almost and I have been paying attention to the feedback that I get. Everybody who has ridden both with the exception of one preferred the YFZ. Most liked it because of the handling. The one exception was a bigger guy who was not aggressive and took it basically trail riding. These people all went to the dunes. Good luck with your decision.

WOracing
04-22-2004, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by allmixedup047
im gettin a pipe and slip on in a couple days and i still cant decide which one to get. SPARKS,LRD,HMF, to many to pick and they are all to close in performance. im going to want it for dune riding. my uncle has sparks on his 416 and i like it alot, but which one is best for my 450r with the hrc kit.
thanks for your time

Is TC racing an option???? I would go with them

WOracing
04-22-2004, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by blue_rider_69
What would win in a drag race? A banshee or a yfz?

banshee....no contest

thomez
04-22-2004, 08:47 PM
That isn't true. Depends on mods.

Jonas
04-23-2004, 10:47 PM
Woody, is a big reason why they enjoyed the yfz more was because of the electric start? I'm assuming that these people tend to not be the most experience riders. What were their main reasons?