PDA

View Full Version : how is the TRX 450r ???

Halo Boyz
03-28-2004, 05:12 PM
i wanna get the trx so i just wanna know alittle about it. like how is the handling. and also what kinda speeds dont it put out will it beat my raptor( its stock ) and also iv head its amazing with weelies is it ?... pleas one people who have road one or have one respond :grr:

theTman
03-28-2004, 05:32 PM
handleing....awsome
wheelies.....awsome
everything else....awsome

SSracingNY
03-28-2004, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by theTman
handleing....awsome
wheelies.....awsome

powerslides like a dream also. hence it was a tad muddy. lets just say his dads 03 400ex with yoshi full exhaust, itp holeshots, jetted, throws a nice roost in 3rd gear. the 450r does that roost in 1st. the gears are pretty long on em. i was short shifting the 1st 1/2 hr on it. i loved it. im sellin my blaster and savin for one

dn1911
03-28-2004, 06:36 PM
just buy it and don't look back.....oh yea it's so sweat when you look back all you see is everyone else:D :D

old school R
03-28-2004, 07:27 PM
its apretty nice quad probably the best on out rite now BUT its still no 250R

r450rr
03-28-2004, 10:48 PM
yep
handleing....awsome
wheelies.....awsome

you can pull the raptor all the way through the gears but stock for stock, it will slowly creap up and walk by you(after about a 900 ft.)

Honda
03-29-2004, 08:51 AM
its apretty nice quad probably the best on out rite now BUT its still no 250R

I have to agree!

But with some work, I think she can be better!

Pappy
03-29-2004, 09:26 AM
Man you guys are probably gonna give me hell for this:p but stock for stock I prefer the YFZ over the TRX:) I feel the YFZ handles better when riden fast, has better stock suspension (atleast the way they were set from the factory...no adjustments made)

I feel the TRX handles better when riding slow trails and the front ends feels very precise, however it seems to me that it does feel tippy. Now I am sure i'm a little biased coming off my elka ssd equipped YFZ but none the less thats my take on it.

The TRX front end is light and a +1 1/4 swing arm and +1 or +2 a arms will really get this quad where it needs to be.

Power wise i like the TRX especially in the woods. Power comes on but is easy to control. You can roll on the power whereas the YFZ is all hammer:macho You can deffinatley tell the YFZ was purpose built for MX. In the woods the YFZ needs better steering. The YFZ feels faster but they are close, its just a different feeling between the 2 quads power and the way it comes on.

I rode a piped and jetted YFZ saturday and it felt like it really smoothed out the YFZ's "power on-power off" type of powerband. The stock TRX is smooth as glass and i wont be ordering an exhaust for it anytime soon.

Overall I like both of them, and my Elka suspension for the TRX should arrive this week so maybe it will help atleast what I feel are a few short comings of the TRX

330R PowerValve
03-29-2004, 09:33 AM
Pappy I am interested in how much the ssd elkas lower your bike.

Motoman440
03-29-2004, 11:02 AM
I finally got out and rode mine this past Saturday. I'm used to riding a 250R and like the 250R the 450R likes to have the RPM's up there to get the power to the ground. Bike is tippy with stock suspension but the power and torque is really nice when your in the right gear. I do not have the HRC kit installed either. Had no problem pullin away from stock 400EX's but the top-end seemed sluggish. I was lookin for more in the straight sections of the trails and it wasn't there. I agree 100% with Pappy on the swing arm and a-arm set-up. I have not had it on a track yet but looking forward to seeing how well it will jump and how the stock suspension will handle it. Nice bike though.

Pappy
03-29-2004, 11:04 AM
Motoman....word is to take all the preload off the shocks and then set them up to your liking using the other adjustments. Id mess with mine but they come off this week:p

Motoman440
03-29-2004, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by Pappy
Motoman....word is to take all the preload off the shocks and then set them up to your liking using the other adjustments. Id mess with mine but they come off this week:p

I have not ridden it with the adjustment yet but I softened up both the compression and rebound 1/2 turn. I didn't mess with the preload yet but that makes sense in what you said. I'll give it a try.

seatec
03-29-2004, 11:30 AM
i rode pgregg's TRX450 two weekends ago and he had the shocks set way soft and almost no preload and man did it feel smooth in the rough stuff. didnt have a chance to take it into the woods but i bet it feels real ncie there too. So, the first thing i did was go real soft on the compression and rebound on the yfz and i have a totally different bike now.

Honda
03-29-2004, 02:22 PM
This is a tough one for me, I have not raced in over 13 years. The last quad I owned or raced was an 88 250R, that was back in 1991.

I entered the Haspin Acres Hare Scramble Series this past weekend, I raced the Pro Class, Keeping in mind I haven't raced in 13+ years. The track was shall we say BRUTAL! I have never seen so many Roots, Rocks, Nasty Rutted out Crick Crossings and Tight woods. The Track down there will tell you right away how well your Quad is handling and how well you handle it. I think I did a great job considering the Conditions and the fact I haven't raced in so long. In Fact, I have only ridden my R a total of 3 times before the race.

I finished a very respectable 10th place.

I don't know why, but it seems to me that every time I am confronted with a rider on a 250R, they seem to out handle me in the real technical stuff. I can usually out power a 250 in the straits, but when things start gettin nasty, rough, tight turns etc, the 250 just looks like it is working better. I constantly feel like a am fighting to keep the machine pointed in the right direction.

The front end on the 450R is too narrow, I don't know if it was the shocks or the new Holeshot XCR's stiffer side wall, but the front end felt extremely harsh Yesterday. If you all remember, I also added two teeth to the rear sprocket ( Thank God), She lugged her self up hills like a Bulldozer. Not too low and not too high. The woods happened to be very tight, I didn't use third gear too often.

Is it just me? Or does the 450R love to throw mud onto your Hand Grips? I should have brought some Zip Ties to tie my hands to the bars! LOL

My fuel tank used to be black, now it is a light grey.

The stock swingarm skid is, believe it or not, Very Strong!

Hiper Beadlocks are a Good Thing!

Overall, I think the new 450R is an awsome machine, Doesn't handle quit like it's predecessor but is Much better in several other important areas. I truly believe that with the proper modifications the 450 will be a very competitive quad.

;)

WOracing19
03-29-2004, 02:52 PM
my 450r is sweet. i think the yfz is a mint machine, but i prefer honda. Im sick of everyone saying its top heavy. Obviously you guys have not ridden one. And about first gear, get used to it.

seatec
03-29-2004, 02:53 PM
The YFZ throws as much, if not more, dirt up on your hands as the TRX does. i even have Cycra Probends nd shields on the handlebar and still i get nasty muddy gloves. i kind of throws it up vertically i guess.

Pappy
03-29-2004, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by WOracing19
my 450r is sweet. i think the yfz is a mint machine, but i prefer honda. Im sick of everyone saying its top heavy. Obviously you guys have not ridden one. And about first gear, get used to it.

pay attention to who you say hasnt riden what ....i own both and ride both. and im not brand loyal to any manufacture.

yellowrider
03-29-2004, 09:23 PM
i wish i could own both i pretty much fliped a coin.. i love it .. i sorta wish i didnt buy it out of town cause now all the dealers are throwing me on the back burner which sucks.. oh well ..

i love my yfz and i love the r... i wish i could own both but i cant...

i think the yfz and the r is slightly on the ugly side..
also neither one of them likes to put around like the 400ex

i also think my bike needs to be geared down one tooth in the woods.. because the power band doesnt click in till i rev it up a bit and really i dont want to rev it .. i want the power to come on as soon as i hit the gas.. tell me if you dont know what i mean i will try to explain it better ..

i hear alot of horror stories with both bikes around here my buddy has a 450r and purchased a hmf and the best he can get it to run is with the airbox lid off..

and a ufz with a yoshie

Woody_YFZ
03-30-2004, 12:25 AM

I own both and yes, the 450R is a little tippy. Both excellent bikes, but I give the YFZ the nod in most categories. I can't imagine anybody would be unhappy with either.

MX#9
03-30-2004, 08:53 AM
I totally agree with yellowrider, you can not putt around on the R like you can on an ex. Actully the ex is better in the snow because you can trctor up a slippery hill a gear high waaaay better, where the R just wants to spin. Don't get me wrong,I really like the R,but it don't like to be ridden lazy.

lukester720
03-30-2004, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by Honda
This is a tough one for me, I have not raced in over 13 years. The last quad I owned or raced was an 88 250R, that was back in 1991.

I entered the Haspin Acres Hare Scramble Series this past weekend, I raced the Pro Class, Keeping in mind I haven't raced in 13+ years. The track was shall we say BRUTAL! I have never seen so many Roots, Rocks, Nasty Rutted out Crick Crossings and Tight woods. The Track down there will tell you right away how well your Quad is handling and how well you handle it. I think I did a great job considering the Conditions and the fact I haven't raced in so long. In Fact, I have only ridden my R a total of 3 times before the race.

I finished a very respectable 10th place.

I don't know why, but it seems to me that every time I am confronted with a rider on a 250R, they seem to out handle me in the real technical stuff. I can usually out power a 250 in the straits, but when things start gettin nasty, rough, tight turns etc, the 250 just looks like it is working better. I constantly feel like a am fighting to keep the machine pointed in the right direction.

The front end on the 450R is too narrow, I don't know if it was the shocks or the new Holeshot XCR's stiffer side wall, but the front end felt extremely harsh Yesterday. If you all remember, I also added two teeth to the rear sprocket ( Thank God), She lugged her self up hills like a Bulldozer. Not too low and not too high. The woods happened to be very tight, I didn't use third gear too often.

Is it just me? Or does the 450R love to throw mud onto your Hand Grips? I should have brought some Zip Ties to tie my hands to the bars! LOL

My fuel tank used to be black, now it is a light grey.

The stock swingarm skid is, believe it or not, Very Strong!

Hiper Beadlocks are a Good Thing!

Overall, I think the new 450R is an awsome machine, Doesn't handle quit like it's predecessor but is Much better in several other important areas. I truly believe that with the proper modifications the 450 will be a very competitive quad.

;)
I rode the haspin hare scramble course on thursday. Well most of it not all the arrows were up yet but that course is really challenging in my opinion. I got stuck in a mudhole once and had to drag it out but it was a blast! Send me a pm if you ever go up just to pratice I need to ride with some good riders and take some notes!

quadrcr161
03-30-2004, 09:28 AM
i am really enjoying mine. kicks easier then my 310R. but it dosent ride/corner as well. but my MX R has a roll Aarms and other stuff on it.. i think with a set of aarms and axle it would be a different quad. it was kinda funny saturday at the track, the guys on the yfz's and z400 hitting their button and the quad not wanting to fire up, just spin. my started with one kick. motor wise, i think it will come alive with an exhaust and cam.

Honda
03-30-2004, 11:18 AM
lukester720,

I got stuck in a mudhole once and had to drag it out but it was a blast! Send me a pm if you ever go up just to pratice I need to ride with some good riders and take some notes!

I got stuck once during the race, I was so exhausted I couldn't even drag it out.

Thank The Lord for the other Racers that helped me get un-stuck!

Challenging is an understatement for that course, I heard all of Haspins courses are that rough? If so, it sucks. My Brand new 450 looks like a 3 year old quad now.

I'll look you up if we decide to go out for practice.

lukester720
03-30-2004, 11:25 AM
Yea, all those trails are pretty tore up. Trucks, rail buggies, and all kinds of other wheel there and tear the crap out of everything! Me and some friends are going to bucks run mx park in bedford, ky friday if you want to go. Where going to get there early.

Honda
03-30-2004, 11:29 AM
You should have seen the course after all the bikes and then Quads ran through it. It was rutted out bad.

I'll let ya know about KY

Halo Boyz
03-31-2004, 05:04 PM
__________________________________________________ __
whats about first gear ?

Halo Boyz
03-31-2004, 05:14 PM
thanks guy .. and pappy what do you like more the yfz or the r and for what reason.

it sounds like thr r ride like a 400 ex with the power of the raptor? am i rite

race john
12-14-2005, 10:00 AM
yeah i have atrx 450 i beat every thing with it and ihave a pipe and jet in it

xx3003xrdrxx
12-14-2005, 11:09 AM
i got something i bet you cant beat:devil:

MAD450r
12-14-2005, 11:19 AM
I love mine but even after widening it just as I did my 416ex, my ex will out corner the 450r any day of the week.
Now if I put the 416 up against a stock R on our small track I pull them all day on the 416, hit the road or longer straits and the 450r's gearing will let it run right by.
Both my ex and R run stock gearing, but the ex has 18's on it so its even slower now that it was stock on top, but out of the whole its insane, I can pull third gear starts with the ex where I have to pull second on my R.
Now if I ran my 416 against my uncorked 450r hands down the 450s motor ill pull the ex all day. But even with it wider and lower sitting the ex still can power through the tight corners where I have to break hard with R and power out of the corner.