PDA

View Full Version : Plug Chop

freebird
03-28-2004, 04:02 PM
Hi All, still trying to figure out how to read plugs.....I have looked at some pictures on line but I am still a little fuzzy. Pulled my Plug, The Electrode Strap is a Grayish Black color. The tip of the plug is Black..But the Insulator is dead white....When reading plugs am I more concerned with the color of the very tip of the plug or the insulator....??

Thanks

freebird
03-28-2004, 04:24 PM
Forgot to mention, Bike runs great no backfires or misses. Can the machine be lean and not backfire??

Thanks

nakomis0
03-29-2004, 12:05 AM
go by the insulator

AndrewRRR
03-29-2004, 12:36 PM
Get a flashlight and look down the ceramic insulator underneath the threaded part of the plug. There should be a "smoke ring", a definite ring that goes around the insulator. That's what you want to read. If it's still white and the rest of the plug is black ride around for a few minutes and then do another plug chop. It takes a few minutes to get enough color on the plug to be able to read it.
If you are having trouble reading the ring you can cut the threaded metal part off the plug with a hacksaw. There are tools you can get that make plug reading easier, I have one in the shop.

Cody_300ex
03-30-2004, 11:58 AM
http://www.exriders.com/techarticles/sparkcolors.html ;)