PDA

View Full Version : Elka's Stock 400ex rear shock Rebuild.

Ralph
03-28-2004, 03:23 PM
I went riding yesterday and i just got my elka rebuild done and i think its not good at all. The rear bounces like hell wich ended up injuring me, i liked my stock shock more... i came over aligator wich is liek 3 little bumps up and then 1 on the other side, well i go over it and when i land the rear shock just rebound'ed so quick it bounced left and right causing me to cross up the handlebars wich i then got jammed into the area right above my thy where it meets my body on the side(i can hardly walk from it). It realy disapoints me because i had just put 350$ into this stock shock and my friends works shock with compr adj. he got used for 200$ is better. Im gonna go broke again tryng to sell this thing and then buying something else....

anyone considering one you might want to try it out on someone elses quad before u buy it...

also, the shock isnt adjustable cept for ride height so there is nothing i can do about it..

and just incase anyone cares my front p.e.p/santo derisi shocks were awesome for the 15 minutes i was able to ride...

So if anyone has any advice on what i should do let me know, is it possible i has the ride height too far down or something...

Silverfox@C&DRacing
03-28-2004, 03:32 PM
you need to mess with your rebound adjustment it is too fast if it is swaping around. this has happend to me and after I adjusted the rebound it was much better not more swaping.

Atreyu
03-28-2004, 03:34 PM
You could sell it to me...

Check the "where to ride"...i got some nice pics of you.

Ralph
03-28-2004, 03:35 PM
yeah i made about 4 laps to check out the jumps and then that happend and i was out for the day,

and it doesnt have rebound adjustment...

Silverfox@C&DRacing
03-28-2004, 03:39 PM
I am confused. If it is a stock 400ex shock with the elka ssd conversion it does have rebound adjustment.

Ralph
03-28-2004, 03:41 PM
where? i though it did too till i looked it over, where is it?

Ralph
03-28-2004, 03:43 PM

Silverfox@C&DRacing
03-28-2004, 03:46 PM
it is on the clevis (I think that is what it is called) the h shaped piece that you put on the linkage and put the bolt through, there is a place for a flat screw driver that is your rebound adjustment.

Ralph
03-28-2004, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by Silverfox@C&DRacing
it is on the clevis (I think that is what it is called) the h shaped piece that you put on the linkage and put the bolt through, there is a place for a flat screw driver that is your rebound adjustment.

im gonna go look and my clevis right now and see, i thought that might been it but i dont like taking screws out on shocks cause im afraid i might get fluid shot at me, especialy out of the clevis...

Silverfox@C&DRacing
03-28-2004, 03:51 PM
don't take the screw out you turn it to make the adjustments and I could not tell you which way to turn it (Colby always adjusts the rebound on my shock :) )

Ralph
03-28-2004, 04:03 PM
yeah, i found it, thx alot. Im gonna rest my B#thing till i recover and get a chance to ride again. and silverfox is it ok if i pm you for a price quote on a few items

Dave400ex
03-28-2004, 04:13 PM
It has Compression adjust also...

Ralph
03-28-2004, 04:15 PM
hmm, this one i find hard to believe but if its true let me know, this makes me feel so stupid...

Dave400ex
03-28-2004, 04:35 PM
Compression adjust is the screw up behind the rezzy. Has a little S (Soft) and H (Hard) around it I believe.

Ralph
03-28-2004, 04:38 PM
yeah your correct and i just picked up my clymer and i dont know what i was thinking... i know there is a huge thread on setting up my suspension but thats like filtering through 30 pages to get the info. So im thinking im gonna set it all on low and go from there lap to lap, but i cant do that for a little while so i will keep u guys updated...

cdalejef
03-28-2004, 05:37 PM
Its been posted before gang, whenever you have your shock or shocks rebuilt or even new aftermarket shocks for that matter. You must adjust all the settings on the socks including compression and rebound. Every person will have different settings from everyone else (so what our buddy has his set at probally won't work for you)! NEVER NEVER start riding hard untill you have your shocks dialed in for your riding style!

Ralph
03-28-2004, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by Jeff@QuadShop
Its been posted before gang, whenever you have your shock or shocks rebuilt or even new aftermarket shocks for that matter. You must adjust all the settings on the socks including compression and rebound. Every person will have different settings from everyone else (so what our buddy has his set at probally won't work for you)! NEVER NEVER start riding hard untill you have your shocks dialed in for your riding style!

like i said i was on the 4th lap still checking out the track and i didnt even ride hard but i guess i should have done alot more planning before i even went out...