PDA

View Full Version : E-Series Nightmare.....

andrew360
03-28-2004, 01:00 PM
So yesterday after I rode around a little bit, I decided I would "tone down" my EX a bit by removing some of my discs on my E-Series slip-on. Out of the 6 bolts, 4 of them broke off in the flange! I spent 3 hours extracting the remains of the bolts, then I had to drill and tap new threads and clearance the holes in the discs. This is what kills me: The flange where the bolts thread into can't be more than 1/16" thick, and it's aluminum. The stock bolts are a 10-24 thread, which means that you're not getting more than 1.5 threads (TOPS) cut into the flange. Why would they use a coarse thread here????? I ended up going oversize and using an M5 x .80, which worked a lot better. Has anyone else ever had this problem? Soryy to be so long-winded, I just needed to vent..... it's stuff like this that keeps me up at night....:mad:

zephead400ex
03-28-2004, 01:33 PM
That sucks. I have never heard of the bolts breaking, thats crazy. I also have an E-Series pipe. I hope I don't encounter this problem:eek2:

mustang93
03-28-2004, 01:55 PM
use the anti seeze that comes with the pipe and never have that problem. I had mine apart today and the flange on it is more like 3/16th thick, also the bolts are triangle shaped to help clean the threads when removed and dont need to be to tight;)

andrew360
03-28-2004, 03:28 PM
This pipe was on the quad when I bought it, so I have no idea if everything was assembled properly. I did use anti-seize (of course) on reassembly. I don't know if we're talking manufacturing differences or otherwise, but I'm telling you, there's no way I've got more than a 1/16" of material in the flange. I suppose I'll be sending the pipe in the WB this fall for repacking and rebuilding, and I'll have them replace the flange then. The whole thing was just completely aggravating..... Oh well, problem solved for now, time for me to get over it and move on.....;)

cheetah
03-28-2004, 04:23 PM
i used anti-seize every time and never had a problem.

andrew360
03-28-2004, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by cheetah
i used anti-seize every time and never had a problem.

This pipe was on the quad when I bought it, so I have no idea if everything was assembled properly. I did use anti-seize (of course) on reassembly.

AtvMxRider
03-28-2004, 06:13 PM
Start the quad and let the pipe get warm beofre you take any bolts out next time.

hondarider2006
03-29-2004, 12:09 AM
ahhh yet another great reason not to buy an e-series.....:p

Rdhanded2
03-29-2004, 10:41 AM
Dirt Wheels rated it as the best all around pipe for the 400ex. You disagree?

dabkrk45
03-29-2004, 10:49 AM
why is the e-series a bad exhaust, just b/c one person messed up and didnt use anti seeze. Sounds dumb to me just b/c of one person.

hondarider2006
03-29-2004, 11:03 AM
the quality isn't there IMO.....can't wait to get my new HMF;)

andrew360
03-29-2004, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by dabkrk45
why is the e-series a bad exhaust, just b/c one person messed up and didnt use anti seeze. Sounds dumb to me just b/c of one person.

This "one person" you're speaking of would have been the original owner of the bike.... this sounds like it's getting a bit close to being a flame. I respect your "opinion," but being called dumb, that's another thing altogehter.......

P.S. - speaking of "dumb," I beleive the word is spelled "seize" not "seeze"

UglyMotha™
03-29-2004, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by dabkrk45

HAHA, i laugh at you, because ONE person?............ let me get you up to speed, e-series break left and right where the pipe goes into the can, why do you think they come with that mess of gussets on them now, which still did not fix the problem :rolleyes:

hondarider2006
03-29-2004, 02:42 PM
and I have had it welded and it broke again sense than....:mad:

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid89/p21d25d1d85a1bb28c96a7d03264702c1/fa8a3e23.jpg

mustang93
03-29-2004, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by andrew360
This "one person" you're speaking of would have been the original owner of the bike.... this sounds like it's getting a bit close to being a flame. I respect your "opinion," but being called dumb, that's another thing altogehter.......

oops :o :D :D

andrew360
03-30-2004, 12:53 AM
Originally posted by andrew360

Aw crap.... I spelled "altogether" wrong........

No more spelling lessons from me, I promise....:p