PDA

View Full Version : Does size matter?

diesel-mech
03-28-2004, 11:14 AM
I'm wondering what size tires to run on the tecate I'm building?
It has 10" wheels but right rear is bent. So I will go aftermarket and may change size. Anyway it has spider tracs 22x12.5-10. I like the width but I ride in really rocky areas about four weekends a year (southern kentucky) I need lots of ground clearance for that, also I ride at haspin acres alot, strykers work great in both places but I don't like the looks! will 24" tires be to big for the rear of a sport quad? Maybe 23X7 or 8 for the front? I'm not against having 2 sets of rear tires. the front I have 20" tires now and don't like them at all. what is a good tire for the front? I really need braking! we hit lots of steep down hill sections.Imagine going down "Devils back bone" for a mile! Just like everybody else I want awsome traction. I HATE GETTING STUCK!!! Remember I'm putting a big four stroke in this thing so I'll have buckets of torque and I have to re-gear it anyway so thats not a problem. I can't say money is not an issue, I don't want to through it away! I need the best bang for the buck. Advice?

Butters
03-28-2004, 11:49 AM
i wouldn't go with anything bigger than a 22''. i don't really like the looks of them either but they do look ok with a 10'' rim.

03-28-2004, 02:19 PM
when i saw the title of the post I thought hes banned

03-28-2004, 02:21 PM
i often run 22 front 18 rear

Juggalo
03-28-2004, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by DarkManX
i often run 22 front 18 rear

uhhh no..that would be one of the worst possible set ups for this guy.

run a 22 inch rear..thats what the cross country guys use

diesel-mech
03-28-2004, 04:07 PM
Ok, 22" on the rear, what about the front? also what tire? I saw a set of chen-shing? rear tires (dirt devils) Any good? I like em. I know everybody likes razors and holeshots but what about all the other tires out there? this is a trail quad, probably won't be raced unless its against my ridin buddies. Is 23" a good front? how about width? 8' or 7"? what tire works good on front? Past expiriance tells me bigger tires roll better on big rocks. (probably common knowledge:rolleyes: ) But like I said we ride in some rough areas. Thanks for the advice so far

elite ATV1
03-28-2004, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by sEX
when i saw the title of the post I thought hes banned

i thought so to.......:devil: :huh

toby400ex
03-28-2004, 04:35 PM
22 inch tires in the back and 23 in the front would be great for you. I dont know much about the mud tires except they usually have a harder carcass and have a rough ride. I would get 6 ply razrs or razr 2's.

toby400ex
03-28-2004, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by toby400ex
22 inch tires in the back and 23 in the front would be great for you. I dont know much about the mud tires except they usually have a harder compound and have a rough ride. I would get 6 ply razrs or razr 2's.

Jonesy
03-28-2004, 04:36 PM
I like Maxxix Sur-Trak's for the rear and then i run Maxxix Front Pro's in the front. The Pro's are old and heavy but they wear well and are fairly sturdy. For the front you might check out the razr 6 ply fronts also.

Butters
03-28-2004, 05:05 PM
yeah by putting 23'' in the front it would make it look alot better. i think it always looks best to have the fronts bigger than the rears.