PDA

View Full Version : they dont make any!!!

doozer
03-28-2004, 09:55 AM
hi im very knew here but i really could use some help. i own a 2002 400ex, it has a k&n w/outerwear, big gun quiet series slip on, and dyno-jet jets. i dont know where the jetting is set at now but it's getting just a little too much fuel. id like to just go to a hotter plug but, supposedly they dont make one? is this true? if it is, then what jet size do you recommend i go w/next? i keep fouling plugs out and they're black as coal when i pull them out. thanks in advance for any help. doozer.
Oh by the way i live in michigan so my altitude isnt in the mountains or anything. thanks again.

mustang93
03-28-2004, 10:03 AM
if you dont have them buy the following jets from DJ : 150 155 160 165 I useto run a 170 DJ per DJ recomendation since installing my quiet core and a few other changes I found that the DJ 155 and 150 seem to be close. still testing between the 2 jets

mustang93
03-28-2004, 10:05 AM
oh ya DJ sells individaul jets for 2 dollars each so if you have the kit installed and lost the extra jets this is the way to go
http://www.dynojet.com/

doozer
03-28-2004, 10:09 AM
yea i bought the whole dynojet jet kit and i tried to rejet this thing but i got really tired of pulling my carb on and off and it not being right. so i had a friend of mine rejet it w/my dynojets and hes got it running better than i did. but do you know if i can get a hotter plug than the DPR8Z NGK that im running now??

spud400ex
03-28-2004, 10:48 AM
i run a DJ 160 main and it runs gr8

atvracr350
03-28-2004, 12:13 PM
doozer, um i don't know if you know this or not but im pretty sure you don't have to take off your whole carb to change your main jets. I know with my keihn jets, all i do is go under the carb and there is a little plug, kind of thing down there right underneath that you unscrew and your main jet is right there. I have never run DJ before so i don't know how they work. hope this helps

cals400ex
03-28-2004, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by doozer
yea i bought the whole dynojet jet kit and i tried to rejet this thing but i got really tired of pulling my carb on and off and it not being right. so i had a friend of mine rejet it w/my dynojets and hes got it running better than i did. but do you know if i can get a hotter plug than the DPR8Z NGK that im running now??

honestly, there is no way i would run a hotter plug than the drp 8z. they do make a dpr 7z i believe but i wouldn't use it. i actually run a dpr 9z after my 10.8:1 86mm piston because ross says they are highly recommended.

you can take the 17mm bolt off the bottom of the bowl and the mainjet is right in there. be careful to not tighten the mainjet in there too tight or the whole mainjet/needle jet holder assembly may come out. if it does, the needle jet holder needs to be adjusted properly for best performance.

mustang93
03-28-2004, 05:58 PM
:rolleyes: ^^^^ exactly what he said:)

doozer
03-28-2004, 06:14 PM
thanx for all the help guys and no i didnt realize that i could jet the carb w/o taking it off the quad. its my first time rejeting a carb actually. all the input is greatly appreciated and this is the most informative site ive ever seen. thanx again, doozer.

Dunesurfer
03-28-2004, 06:52 PM
Jetting is tough. plus dynojet instructions always overjet. When I jetted mine I had to use a smaller size than they advised. I had much better luck with regular jets. If you are fouling plugs go down about two sizes and do a plug check.

cals400ex
03-29-2004, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by doozer
thanx for all the help guys and no i didnt realize that i could jet the carb w/o taking it off the quad. its my first time rejeting a carb actually. all the input is greatly appreciated and this is the most informative site ive ever seen. thanx again, doozer.

by the way, don't forget to turn the gas off before you take the 17mm bolt off. you will still spill the gas in the bowl so have a towel ready.

dariusld
03-29-2004, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by cals400ex
you will still spill the gas in the bowl so have a towel ready.
Can't you use the drain screw at the bottom of the carb to get ALL the gas out of the bowl?

cals400ex
03-29-2004, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by dariusld
Can't you use the drain screw at the bottom of the carb to get ALL the gas out of the bowl?

you probably could but i just always drained it on a towel. i never really thought about that but it really isn't enough to hurt much. i just throw the towel or two paper towels under the carb and open her up. good suggestion though.

mustang93
03-29-2004, 07:38 PM
I would leave that drain screw alone they strip easy and have a tendancy to leak one operated a few times;)