PDA

View Full Version : Why are LTZ's so cheap?

Bartman012
03-27-2004, 09:40 PM
Just wondering why the 03' LTZ 400's are so cheap. I've seen them on ebay for as little as $3250. There's one on there right now for $3500 Buy It Now. I don't get it. Why would anyone buy a new one for $6000 otd when you can save almost $3000 when buying a used one? Is there something wrong with them? I have a Honda 450r and a LTZ 400 and I can't see why they're so cheap. I just paid $4000 for mine a couple of months ago and it's not even a year old. Just curious.

03-27-2004, 10:14 PM
cuz the 03 z-400 had frame problems and everyone has been cracking them and getting rid of them

Bartman012
03-27-2004, 10:52 PM
I don't think so. I thought Suzuki fixed all of those with a recall.

TGW_400ex
03-28-2004, 06:49 AM
because everyone wants a YFZ or a R:eek2:

z400ACDC
03-28-2004, 06:49 AM
People want the latest and greatest, even if they just trail ride or set in the shop. Most of us are not racers and there are a lot of nice quads out there besides the YFZ and 450R

brif
03-28-2004, 07:44 AM
I think ACDC hit the nail on the head.

SSracingNY
03-28-2004, 08:29 AM
idk but id love to have a Z/KFX 400. i think they are sick quads. yea they have their down falls(frame) but hey, what machine doesnt. if its perfect now, wait a yr or 2 and see how things are going. it might be a short live thing for the 450's. no one really knows whats going to happen. thats just my opinion

z400ACDC
03-28-2004, 09:17 AM
At 39, I have had most of all the lastest and greatest in my time (Banshee, EX, Raptor and LTZ 400). Ride what you like, I do.

cool 300ex
04-02-2004, 10:17 PM
Around here they are around $3800 stock and $4200 with some mods. I think eveyone is selling them so cheap because they want to get yfz450's or 450R's. But i am stuck with my zno more money and my dad said he wont help pay for another quad i just got the grizzly. So all i can do is keep modding mine.:o

shagy
04-03-2004, 12:50 AM
why is natural ice, or pabst cheap?

KoyukKFX
04-03-2004, 01:47 AM
Differing from others trash-talk, and the defense of it, I'd rather put my money on the fact the Z/KFX/DVX platform sold so many units in a short time that the manufacturer can offer a lower price. However, the most noticable price drop being in the used market, 'cause they are so popular. They are all over the place, and aftermarket has jumped all over this quad. You have many brands to choose from for just about any part of the quad you want to replace/upgrade. The Z/KFX has it's place, and that's right inthe middle of the field. People step up to a full-out race quad, or step down. People step up to the Z/KFX as well. You see so many for sale (why the cost is low) 'cause they are just so many units out there.

Zwanter
04-04-2004, 10:09 AM
i could care less about all these new 450's. you really dont have to do a ton of motorwork to keep up with them. thats why im keeping mine and moddin the hell out of it. oh and i have too much money already tied up into it and id hate to let it go.

offroadfury
04-04-2004, 10:18 AM
I'll keep my Z. I have some money in it and I hate to lose my ***. I'd like to have a 450 but I also like the reverse on the Z. Maybe Suzuki will add reverse to the Z450;) . BTW there are a couple places around here that sell them for less than $5 grand new out the door.

southbeach14
04-04-2004, 10:31 AM
if your going to keep it you better gusset the frame

ger
04-04-2004, 10:36 AM
I just bought my Z and I figured that it is cheaper to get a fix for the frame then fixing some of the problems that other quads have.my gusset fix is $55 , cheaper than fixing a tranny

KoyukKFX
04-04-2004, 04:35 PM
People argue a new model has more this, or better that. Or a certain model is better than the next for power, or suspension, etc. Come'on!! Why are these boards on the internet anyway? Because no matter what anyone buys, no matter how powerful their 'stock' motor is, everyone modifies for more power or better suspension!! If we didn't modify, for the most part, except for tips and tricks, we wouldn't need boards like this except for the excellent news and race coverage EXRiders provides!
"My YFZ is faster than your Z..." So? Then the guy goes out and spends money for Elka or Axis, a-arms, axles and swingers, exhaust, cams, porting, intake, bars, tires/wheels, etc..
Sure the Z/KFX might have a frame issue, but everyone (no matter what model of bike) is going to a custom powdercoated frame anyway. And like the guy above stated, gussetting is cheap, and that's part of the process that's easy to do when you powder coat your frame. Suzuki will say retail on their website for the Z is like $5,699 or something. I bought mine in expensive Alaska for $5,300, and the guy above says he sees them for under 5K brand new. With all the savings, you can build a nice 440 or 450/470 to be just as fast plus have reverse, and get aftermarket parts cheap! (I'm referring to used aftermarket, the market is flooded!) I bought pro-flo K&N, Elka's, Yoshi Ti Pro, and IMS tank used, and all in good condition for cheap.

jarsong
04-04-2004, 07:10 PM
Supply and demand is the easy answer. You have 3 different companies producing the same bike and demand fell off a LITTLE after the YFZ/450 came out. Look it in a positive way though. You get a BULLETPROOF bike for a great price. Unless you are a bike FLOGGER don't concern yourself with the frame issue. I absolutley love our Z400 and on our track when you have someone on it that will push it hard he will run right with my YFZ and drop back a little in the straights.
jarsong

KoyukKFX
04-04-2004, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by jarsong
Supply and demand is the easy answer. You have 3 different companies producing the same bike and demand fell off a LITTLE after the YFZ/450 came out. Look it in a positive way though. You get a BULLETPROOF bike for a great price. Unless you are a bike FLOGGER don't concern yourself with the frame issue. I absolutley love our Z400 and on our track when you have someone on it that will push it hard he will run right with my YFZ and drop back a little in the straights.
jarsong

I think you just put an end to this thread. You said what I wished I would've said.

Rdhanded2
04-07-2004, 08:59 AM
The thing I can't get used to on the Z400 is the ride feel. I get off my ex and on my buddies z and it feels so narrow. It is a great bike with loads of power, just doesn't feel right to me. But that's just my $.02

TRFOXX
04-07-2004, 09:53 AM
It feels way better than a polaris!

nemesis
10-13-2004, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by Rdhanded2
The thing I can't get used to on the Z400 is the ride feel. I get off my ex and on my buddies z and it feels so narrow. It is a great bike with loads of power, just doesn't feel right to me. But that's just my $.02
I thought the same thing when I rode a 400ex. Mine is wider than stock though.

Ball
10-22-2004, 11:32 AM
I think he means that the Z feels more like a dirtbike between your legs and the 400ex is much wider.The stance is no wider on a 400ex than the Z.

nemesis
10-22-2004, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by Ball
I think he means that the Z feels more like a dirtbike between your legs and the 400ex is much wider.The stance is no wider on a 400ex than the Z.
Are you sure on that one? When mine was stock, the front wheels slid perfectly between the fenders wells of my truck. When I loaded my buddies 2003 400ex, I had to put one of the tires on the fender. Not much of a difference.

I love having it narrow in the middle, it fits comfortable like a dirt bike.

10-23-2004, 01:41 PM
yah the narrow feeling made it feel a little squirrley compared to the 400ex I had..nowhere near as bad as the raptor but kinda comparable with that feeling of tippy...my stock 450r is kinda tippy too though comparable to the z400 but not as bad....

300extasy
11-01-2004, 09:13 AM
So, are the Kawi KFX-400, Suzuki LT-Z400, and the Arctic Cat DVX-400 the same quad, motor and suspension wise, only produced by different manufacturers? If so, why does Arctic Cat sell theirs cheaper, and why don't I see any aftermarket parts for that model in like a Dennis Kirk catalog.

Warrior/LTZ 400
05-30-2006, 08:35 PM
Im sorry but I think that the LTZ has a good frame. Why? Because this weekend I run my LTZ into a corner post for a fence row going at least 40 MPH. Im not saying that it is in perfect shape yet because its not. But the only 3 things I hurt was the fenders, the main steering shaft and my Knee.
By the way, where does the frame crack at?

400exrider707
05-30-2006, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by Warrior/LTZ 400
Im sorry but I think that the LTZ has a good frame. Why? Because this weekend I run my LTZ into a corner post for a fence row going at least 40 MPH. Im not saying that it is in perfect shape yet because its not. But the only 3 things I hurt was the fenders, the main steering shaft and my Knee.
By the way, where does the frame crack at?

My buddies first Z frame, the front down tubes ripped completely right off from the rest of the frame. It is the only time I've ever seen frame tubes fail from a tear. the GEN II frame is holding up great. BTW I have an 03 z400 with a GEN II frame that I will probably sell for about $2600 if anyone is interested.....no joke...:cool: