PDA

View Full Version : is it worth it to get a rear shock?

JDiablo
03-27-2004, 09:01 PM
is it worth it to get the rear shock to match the fronts?i got elka fronts and was MAYBE thinking about getting the rear one to compensate with the front shocks...and then from that i can worry about all the motor mods....or do you think the raptor rear shock will be good enough?

bradley300
03-27-2004, 09:11 PM
the raptor shock will do fine, abd the elka rear shock will do even better. if you got the money, buy the elka, if not, the raptor shock is a great choice and much better than stock

JDiablo
03-27-2004, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by bradley300
the raptor shock will do fine, abd the elka rear shock will do even better. if you got the money, buy the elka, if not, the raptor shock is a great choice and much better than stock

well i work around doing crap for my neighbors and i got a job so money won't be a problem...if anything ill count all my pennies and quarters and w/e in my 5 gallon water bottle :D ...couple hundred will come out of there...lol and i see you have a 350 kit,were did you get it done and did they have to split the cases and do you have to run race gas?and im also guessing you need a oil cooler as well?

JDiablo
03-28-2004, 11:30 AM
bump:)

westcoastmxer
03-28-2004, 03:21 PM
hey man if u decide to get the elka ill buy ur raptor rear so pm me or email me pic at quadfmx12@aol.com

03-28-2004, 03:55 PM
well i got my rear shock for free from a freind of mine who was parting out his warrior and it works AWESOME, quad sits about an inch or two lower too, it's a warrior shock with a 250r spring rebuilt by pep, works flat out awesome

JDiablo
03-28-2004, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by westcoastmxer
hey man if u decide to get the elka ill buy ur raptor rear so pm me or email me pic at quadfmx12@aol.com

i would but i dont know where to go to get the weight and all that bullcrap done and im only 15 so i don't drive yet so idk...if i can i will definelty

300exOH
03-30-2004, 07:30 AM
The rear shock does help. I bought a Works rear for cheap and had it converted to zero preload and it is much better than the stock rear shock. It doesn't try to buck you over the bars. I have heard the 01 raptor shock works well too but I'm not sure if it can be converted to zero preload ot match the Elka's.

bradley300
03-30-2004, 07:54 AM
the raptor shock is rebui9ldable, and its the same length as a 300ex shock, so i can be converted to zero preload and set up for 300ex geometry.

GThunder built my motor, it is a true 350cc big bore, dont know if the cases have to be split or not, no i dont run race as or an oil cooler, it does run hot tho, so i'll be getting an oil cooler soon. def. give them a shout if you want to go fast. www.gthunder.com

it is an extremely fast motor, piped 400ex's/z400's dont stand a chance, piped predators are a pretty even match, you will need suspension work first, a motor this fast will beat you to death w/ stock shocks

JDiablo
03-30-2004, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by bradley300
the raptor shock is rebui9ldable, and its the same length as a 300ex shock, so i can be converted to zero preload and set up for 300ex geometry.

GThunder built my motor, it is a true 350cc big bore, dont know if the cases have to be split or not, no i dont run race as or an oil cooler, it does run hot tho, so i'll be getting an oil cooler soon. def. give them a shout if you want to go fast. www.gthunder.com

it is an extremely fast motor, piped 400ex's/z400's dont stand a chance, piped predators are a pretty even match, you will need suspension work first, a motor this fast will beat you to death w/ stock shocks

yea i got elka front shocks and i am ordering the rear one as soon as i get some more money saved up....what did the motor work involve like cam,piston,crank?etc and if you don't mind me asking how much did you pay for it and how long turn around time was it,thanks

Out_Sider
03-30-2004, 02:19 PM
you're gonna have a wicked 300 there son ;) :p cant wait to see it after its completely finished:D But my 330 is being sold soon...getting a YZ250F :cool:

JDiablo
03-30-2004, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by Out_Sider
you're gonna have a wicked 300 there son ;) :p cant wait to see it after its completely finished:D But my 330 is being sold soon...getting a YZ250F :cool:

if you are talking to me thank you....i say another 2 months and i will have a whole bunch more things...the whole front end and rear end will most likely be aftermarket:macho :devil:

blasterkiller14
03-30-2004, 03:22 PM
Dude, what a coincidence, im 15 and have a 250x with a honda 350 three wheeler engine in it. I have holeshots XCR 21" fronts and 400ex radials in the rear. I have aftermarket all rear because i broke the stock and i want to upgrade the front suspension soon(just need some freaking $$$) I think i am going to use my dads welder and make my own custom a-arms and put like aftermarket 400ex shocks on it. I have a whole bunch of other crap too but dont feel like listing it (got alot off EBAY:) ) Ill have pics of my ride soon dude, send me some of yours.

bradley300
03-30-2004, 09:29 PM
dont know exactly what the kit and labor cost, but i spent about 1400.00 (little less maybe) that got me the custom piston, sleeve,all gaskets machine work, labor, full race port, crank rebuild (not need if you start w/ a good motor), hd clutch and some other parts i needed b/c i started w/ a blown motor. think the turn around time was about 1.5 months from my door and back.

laz from gthuner is on the site, shoot him a pm, he can answer all of your questions his sn is LS@gthunder

veddersbetter
04-20-2004, 12:09 PM
If your still trying to decide on a rear shock.....do it....its WELL worth it....I finally broke down and bought a TCS zero preload rebuilt rear for my 400 to match the front Elkas and man...what a difference! Not only noticable its completely changed the way I ride. Jumps I would have never attempted before I nail in 5th gear wide open now.....it doesnt give ya the ol boingo bongo like the stocker...it just soaks it up and levels ya out. it also leveled out the quad nice and I was able to lower the ride height overall considerably...Best $300 I ever spent!