PDA

View Full Version : 300ex casesaver

300exazzkikr
03-27-2004, 08:20 PM
Obviously no one makes one. I have searched and searched unless someone else has found one post it up and let me see! My question is to all of you with 300ex's is there an interest in a case saver? I would like to have one just for my well being to know that if my chain breaks its not gonna go through my case.

bradley300
03-27-2004, 09:18 PM
there is interest, just not enuff room on the motor toput one. you can use the stock case saver, its cheap and probably wont hold up to too much abuse, but its better than nothing. but, if you want to run a 14tooth front sproket, you cant even use it, simply not enuff room

Butters
03-28-2004, 12:06 PM
if you have a 14t front sprocket you can use the stock case saver. i used a dremel to trim it up some and now it works just fine.

300exazzkikr
03-28-2004, 02:03 PM
The stock case saver is garbage. I could probably twist it with my hands. I want a beefier one thats gonna take some abuse.

liljosht
03-28-2004, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by 300exazzkikr
The stock case saver is garbage. I could probably twist it with my hands. I want a beefier one thats gonna take some abuse.

you can twist it with your hands, it kinda seems like its made out of copper or something similar

Butters
03-28-2004, 05:01 PM
if you know someone that is a machinest they could make you one. i'm just saying having the stock one is better than nothing.

honda250xrider
03-28-2004, 05:24 PM
i would recommened using a case saver Period! After you replace a few cases you will understand its worth to pay about 15$ for a casesaver compared to buying a new sidecase, you can use the 14 tooth sprocket up front just have to trim it up a bit.

bradley300
03-28-2004, 11:11 PM
i never said the stocker was any good, but its the best and only option you got, so its better than nothing

atvridernc
03-08-2005, 07:13 PM
i trimmed my case saver down to the point that it almost wasnt there and still couldnt get my 14 tooth sprocket in. i am gonna stick with a 13 and get a new case saver.

JEFF400EX
03-09-2005, 04:50 AM
Hey guys, Well my step sons 300 spit the chain off the the back, and it balled up on the front sprocket. It took the stock case saver and more or less swallowed it, ripped the front spockect cover into 3 pieces, ripped the reverse lever holding bracket off, and removed about a 2" x 3" section of the case, that holds the two bolts for the reverse lever and the sprocket cover.

He is not a happy camper, and I have a feeling JB weld is not going to be the answer.

He is not one for checking chain tension before each ride, and i had to point this out to him in his owners manual along with all of his friends, that this isn't something to do just once in a-wile, but a must do before every ride.

I told him, its time for hime to start paying for his own parts and toys. So hes saving for a ne side case.

I'll bet he checks it all the time now, even when he's not riding it.

the race season is coming up, and I don't think he is going to have the money by time the first races start and that will have him pi**ed, watching the rest of us going.

sorry for beeing long winded, but morle of the story, do your pre-ride inspections !!!! and save yourself and parents money and grief.

Trevor
03-09-2005, 05:26 AM
I broke one of my chains and it got all bound up by the front sprocket. I have the stock case saver so it might have saved my case for me!

Derf
03-09-2005, 05:29 AM
Yeah i saw the hole on Jeff's step-son's, you can drive a skid loader through it. Luckily it is on the mounting tab for the reverse lever, there is no fluid leaking. I have a 14 tooth on my 300. We had to grind the crap outta the stock case saver. I was pretty nervus the first couple of times i rode it after that. Just make sure you check your chain EVERY time. It better to take a couple minutes and do that then learn how to replace your side case.

atvridernc
03-09-2005, 07:59 PM
i dont see what the advantage of a 14 tooth is. if it makes you worry about your quad then DONT DO IT! you can go down to a 33 tooth rear if you need tons of top speed. that is way more top speed than a tooth on the front will give ya. and a front sprocket may be cheaper and easier, but is it cheaper to buy an extralight 33 tooth aluminum sprocket from nacs racing, or to replace your sidecase?

badass300ex
03-09-2005, 08:25 PM
Ive had a 14 tooth sprocket on my 300ex for about a year, Just a little grinding is all it takes. Its ok if the chain rubs a tad take it for a blast and the chain will wear its way through its real soft metal.Ive ahd a chain break with and without one and believe me 1/8 of metal is better than none.

ltl666devil
03-09-2005, 10:04 PM
i just bought 2 stock case savers and bent then up a little bit and bolted both them on 2gether. after spending alot of money to get cases replaced or welded its worth the 15 bucks for a casesaver. someone does need to make an aftermarket 1 tho thats thicker.

Trevor
03-10-2005, 07:03 AM
Do you have any pics of how you bent them up so you could fit 2 case savers in there!

Derf
03-10-2005, 07:12 AM
Its cheaper to do you pre-ride inspection.
I put on the 14F & 36R because i put in a 330 kit & went to a 20" rear tire. I could climb a tree but not get out of my own way. I was worried at first, but i have had no problems, been over a year and a half.
From what i saw with that 300EX of Jeff's, I dont care if you have a 10 tooth front and a bullet proof case saver. It did not break the case saver itself, it ripped the mounting tabs off were the case saver bolts too. My point was to check you chain tension. Maintain your machine and you will be fine.

ltl666devil
03-10-2005, 08:37 AM
Originally posted by Trevor
Do you have any pics of how you bent them up so you could fit 2 case savers in there!

no but all i did was bolted the 2 on the bike and bent it to where it wouldnt hit the chain. its very easy to do.

atvridernc
03-10-2005, 05:02 PM
what rear sprocket should i put on the rear? im thinking of going down to a 34 or 35. would i still have low end for motocross? I have 21" rear mudsharks on the back now. the 35 will give me just a little bit more top speed than switching to a 14 tooth front would. i looked at some gearing charts.

atvridernc
03-10-2005, 05:04 PM
oh yeah, i have stock gears right now and they feel way to short. my power mods are in my signature.

Trevor
03-11-2005, 06:36 AM
I am running a stock 13t upfront and a sunstar 36t rear with 20" rear tires it works awsome but the only problem I had was I had to put a half link in my chain!

300ex73
03-11-2005, 06:42 AM
I run 14/34 gearing with 18" MXR4's, and have no problems. It still feels like I have more off idle than my Z400(I even swapped on a 13 tooth c/s sprocket), and it picks up so much more than it used to. As for getting the 14 tooth on the front, you don't have to grind it as much as you might think. Just start off by taking off a little, and then try to put the casesaver, sprocket and chain on together.