PDA

View Full Version : flipping rims???

theTman
03-27-2004, 04:02 PM
what does flipping front rims do??? does it make it wider?? should i do it to my 400ex?

ktMan
03-27-2004, 04:07 PM
well the rims are off set and on a 400 ex the back rims are already at the widest but you can do it to the front but you have to take out the valve stems cause they will hit the brakes. then drill holes and put new ones in and fill the old hole with a valve put in the opposite way, i did this to my friends 400

theTman
03-27-2004, 04:33 PM
sounds very confusing

hondarider2006
03-27-2004, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by theTman
sounds very confusing

I agree:huh

kicken250x
03-27-2004, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by theTman
sounds very confusing

nope, its not. it took me 20 min to do both rims up at the shop with the tire changer. this is how i did it:

tools:
1. something to break the bead on the tire
2. center punch (an automatic center punch works best because its hard to get a hammer in the wheel with the punch)
3. drill
4. drill bits
5. 4 NEW valve stems (old ones could be cracked and they are really cheap so why not)
6. a way to get the bead seated again.

1. take the wheel and tire off
2. let all the air out
3. take the valve stem out and measure the whole (write this measurement down)
4. break the bead ON BOTH SIDES
5. put a valve stem in the stock hole BACKWARDS (with the valve stem cap where its inside the tire)
6. flip the tire over (this side is what was the inside and will be the outside) and find where you want the other stem to go.
7. use a center punch to mark the spot and keep the drill from sliding around.
8. drill a pilot hole
9. drill a hole the size of the one you measured earlier
10. put a valve stem in the hole (with the valve cap out so you can fill the tire with air)
11. there are several ways to get the bead seated again. the easiest is to use a cheata, but most people dont have one of these unless you do a lot of changing tires. you can also use a ratchet strap around the tire to pull the bead back to where you can fill the tire again.
12. fill the tire with air untill the bead pops
13. set the correct psi
14. do the other one
15. what the hell are you waiting for?!?! go ride!!! youve worked for long enough!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hope this helped some. if you have any more questions then feel free to ask. later

Tommy 17
03-27-2004, 05:43 PM
don't do it... it causes really bad bump steer and makes it handle like junk...

it also trys to rip the bars out of ur hands easier...

kicken250x
03-27-2004, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by Tommy 17

ive helped many of my friends do it and ive been riding for about 4 weeks with mine like that. it does make the bump steer a little worse but its not too bad... and the bars do seem to want to come out of my hands easier but u get used to it really fast. i dont agree with you on the handleing like junk thing though. i think it handles better actually. i can take turns faster, it doesnt 2 wheel as easy now. the only thing i dont like about it is the bump steer but when you get going fairly fast its not as bad. its a trade off though, as is everything that is a seemingly good mod that is all but free...:rolleyes:

Cody_300ex
03-29-2004, 08:14 AM

I agree 100% My buddy did this to his Backup stock rims (now has hipers) And it was twice as hard to turn, and you front calipers are more likely to get hit with rocks, roost, branches, ect.

wcr400ex
03-29-2004, 06:58 PM

I agree. I thought at first that it made me able to take turns faster untill i turned them back around to stock and was actually faster....

blasterkiller14
03-29-2004, 08:01 PM
Sounds like alot more people dont like the idea, but it sounds like it would work to me, never done it before though. Wouldnt it just kind of be easier to put durablue wheel spacers on? Or do they suck too?

banshee94
03-29-2004, 11:57 PM
easer way of doing it is they make a verry short air stem they have one that pulls from the inside of rim. not from the out side.yes it does work. nice for corners but does give more bumpsteer. I like it personaly. The key is get the ones that have the nuts from the inside. They are a pain to put are into.

smith_400ex_213
03-30-2004, 08:14 AM
dont put wheeler spacers on your wheeler bad idea..putting wheeler spacers on your axle or your front end will add extra leverage to your axle and shock making your shocks wear faster..got to http://www.douggust.com/atv2.htm[/URL]

drifterx
03-30-2004, 09:19 PM
I asked about this for my 300. Someone told me that its not a good idea, because the plate that is built in for support is only on the one side, and that it would like warp the rims. But it could be different for a 400.

PhilMoore
03-31-2004, 09:48 PM
The 400EX in this vid has spacers (I believe front and rear). He hasn't had a problem with them. Although he has since sold the 400 and bought a YFZ450!

:jealous:

www.atvpix.com/mov01118.mpg
(http://www.atvpix.com/mov01118.mpg)

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=59769&perpage=15&pagenumber=2

nky400
04-01-2004, 09:44 AM
i flipped my fronts. it was pretty simple, i took out the old valve stems and used the same holes to put in flush mount valve stems. no drilling required. it gives it a pretty clean look. the flush mounts come w/ an adapter so you can easily check and adjust tire pressure. make sure you put the right front on the left front, etc in compliance width tread rotation patterns. i'll try to find the pics...