PDA

View Full Version : Broken countershaft. What do i do????

sideways
03-27-2004, 11:00 AM
hey everyone. Last time i went out riding, my chain fell off, got caught up between the front sprocket and the case and pushed the front sprocket off. turns out the outer splines on the countershadft snapped off.Anyone else ever have this problem?? and whats the best bet at replacing this? The engine has never been apart, and i dont know even where to start. Also, if i have to pull the engine out, anyone have any suggestions on what to improve while its out in terms of performance?? I am looking for more power, hopefully without a bore kit.

03-27-2004, 11:19 AM
in my opinion, if you are uncomfortable taking your engine apart then dont do this job...have a shop do it & shell out the $$ before you make things worse.

Pvt. Maggot
03-27-2004, 11:15 PM
my brothers did the same thing..except he was goin real slow around the yard and the sprocket just shot off..we had the 5 year warentys..pointless..they wanted 2 grand to fix his motor..all it needed was the shaft thing..there so stupid..you might as well do it yourself..good luck dude..order the manual all the gaskets and the shaft and have at it
:)

AAAirbooorn
03-28-2004, 05:09 AM
Originally posted by Pvt. Maggot
my brothers did the same thing..except he was goin real slow around the yard and the sprocket just shot off..we had the 5 year warentys..pointless..they wanted 2 grand to fix his motor..all it needed was the shaft thing..there so stupid..you might as well do it yourself..good luck dude..order the manual all the gaskets and the shaft and have at it
:)

What he said:macho :mad:

sideways
03-28-2004, 06:30 AM
interesting how the warrenty wouldnt cover the countershaft. I am a little weary of taking the engine apart myself, mainly because i want it to be put back together and actually run good, with me it's like a 50/50 shot of getting it right.
But i suppose i'm gona try it, so whats a good manual to buy that will help me with this.
Also, any suggfestions on Mods?? I'm thinking a cam and piston, plus rings and seals. any other suggestions??

quadmxracer
03-28-2004, 07:39 AM
You definetly want to buy the factory honda manual. Its the best in my opinion. They have a CD version and a hard copy version. Besides getting a higher compression piston, and a cam. I would suggest that you have your head ported and polished. It will definetly help out with your new piston and cam.

mustang93
03-28-2004, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by sideways
interesting how the warrenty wouldnt cover the countershaft. I am a little weary of taking the engine apart myself, mainly because i want it to be put back together and actually run good, with me it's like a 50/50 shot of getting it right.
But i suppose i'm gona try it, so whats a good manual to buy that will help me with this.
Also, any suggfestions on Mods?? I'm thinking a cam and piston, plus rings and seals. any other suggestions??

l@@k free manual >>>>
http://www.atvnc.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=3170

sideways
04-01-2004, 12:12 PM
I am having trouble opening the honda 400EX manual. says page doesnt exist, so anyone else have any leads?

mustang
04-01-2004, 12:33 PM
try www.sweetquads.com
they have the same chit

Knips178
04-01-2004, 12:48 PM
Don't do it! Unless you have a background in engines, I wouldn't do it. I pulled everything out of the motor down to where the flywheel comes off then took it in to a shop and had them crack the case and check all the tolerances of all the internals, then replace my crank and put the bottom end back together. The point is, if you let a good shop to do it you can make sure there isn't anything else wrong in the bottom end, otherwise who knows what else can happen when you get it back together. I know it was only the splines that were stripped, but if other parts are worn or took a good jolt when it happened you will be taking the engine apart again real soon when something else fails.

just don't want anyone else to go through my $2000 blow out over a $200 shop bill to fix it for you.

quadman22
04-04-2004, 08:19 PM
if you do do it.... put each individual part in a seperate bag and label it! you MUST be organized so you dont lose parts.