PDA

View Full Version : What can I do for a bit more power???

Dannyboy
03-26-2004, 12:30 PM
Hey guys. I am new hear but not new to performance quads by any means. I have a 2000 Honda 400EX with the following mods:

WB E-Series rear slip on
FMF PowerBomb header
K&N filter
Proper jet kit w/ tuning
WB Rev Box

Now... I am just wondering if there is anyway for me to get a tad more power w/o spending a TON of money? What other things can I do? I will most likely have to have anything else installed because all the things I can install myself, well, I've done already.

I mean, is the next route a cam? How hard are these to install (meaning what should I expect to pay?) and what kind of power gains can be had? Also, what kind of reliability should I be concerned with? Thanks guys.

MotoX3
03-26-2004, 12:40 PM
A cam if your wanting to spend some money,or depending on where you ride you could simply take your lid off....but if you ride i mud water or sand I wouldnt do that..

Dannyboy
03-26-2004, 12:49 PM
Well, I am willing to spend some money, but just not a TON! I just talked to my shop and they said around $150-$200 install cost on a cam. IMO, that isn't too bad. They recommended a Stage 1 Hot Cams cam, what do you all think? I need good lowend power for trails and stuff since that's all I ride. Sound like a good idea?

AndrewRRR
03-26-2004, 01:21 PM
Another route would be a high compression piston and/or a 440 kit.
Then cam, porting, valve work, etc.

Dannyboy
03-26-2004, 01:41 PM
Well, I am not wanting to do a whole 440cc kit lol, too much money!. But...say I get one of these Stage 1 cams and have it installed. With my current mods in my first post, what kind of power do you think this cam will add?

If all possible, could you guys describe how the feel of the bike will change with a cam like this? I just want some good power for trails and right now it seems that the lowend isn't too strong. The mid to high is pretty healthy though (mid is the best). Will I get some noticeably lowend improvement? Thanks.

RED121572
03-26-2004, 02:02 PM
Knowing your budget, I think a stage one cam would be a good choice.

Good luck!:D

hondarider2006
03-26-2004, 03:00 PM
ever think about doing suspenion mods first??

Dannyboy
03-26-2004, 03:14 PM
Well, I am pretty happy with the stock suspension. I don't do a TON of jumping and I rarely EVER bottom out. I have some Durablue spacers in the back so it widened the back pretty much. That helped handling a lot. I would like to get a wider AXLE and dump the spacers, but for $400...I don't think so.

So, I think I'll be sticking with cams for now. I also need some front Maxxis Razr tires to match my rears.

What's the power like with adding a Stage One Hot Cams cam? How will the bike feel?

hondarider2006
03-26-2004, 03:26 PM
The stage one will add more Low end power. IMO I would save my money if I were you, and get a high comp. piston and a stage 2. If you do it yourself, you could get it for $300 and the gains will be much more rather than just the stage 1 with stock piston.

Dannyboy
03-26-2004, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by hondarider2006
The stage one will add more Low end power. IMO I would save my money if I were you, and get a high comp. piston and a stage 2. If you do it yourself, you could get it for $300 and the gains will be much more rather than just the stage 1 with stock piston.

Yea, I mean, the price on the parts isn't bad. The only thing is... the fact that I can't install this stuff. I have no idea how to tear into an engine and replace this stuff. So, I'm stuck having my shop do it for me. That's one of the reasons I am considering just a cam.

I mean, what would you say the power increases are with a Stage 1? Similar to adding an exhaust slipon and a K&N + jetting? Less than that? More than that?

RED121572
03-26-2004, 03:42 PM
With a stage one, you'll notice a power increase everywhere. But, itll be more noticeable at the bottom end. Id say the gains are going to be comparable to adding a pipe. Maybe a bit less.

Dannyboy
03-26-2004, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by RED121572
With a stage one, you'll notice a power increase everywhere. But, itll be more noticeable at the bottom end. Id say the gains are going to be comparable to adding a pipe. Maybe a bit less.

That's not bad really. I can't wait. Does this affect the idle or anything? I know with cams in my car that they make it lope a little bit. Also, will the jetting need to be altered with these being installed? It is currently jetted correctly for my current mods.

RED121572
03-26-2004, 04:12 PM
You may notice a slight trembling of the motor at idle. Your rockers may get noisey too. With my quad, I can feel the pulse of the motor in my chest. Its kinda cool.

Its highly likely your gonna be required to bump up your jetting a tad.
Good luck!!

TheFontMaster
03-26-2004, 04:29 PM
The cam will give you more overall power, and change the powerband. I thinke you should buy a shop manuel, and a torque wrench, and do the work yerself.

hondarider2006
03-26-2004, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by TheFontMaster
I thinke you should buy a shop manuel, and a torque wrench, and do the work yerself.

I agree. You will save yourself a lot of money, and its a good learning experience;)