PDA

View Full Version : Z400 startiing troubles please help.....

Cly
03-26-2004, 04:58 AM
Hi all.....

My friend has a 03 Z400.Here just a couple of months ago it started to become hard to start when cold.(sits for a few hours or overnight)It will just crank and crank.Sometimes it sputters but that is it.Here is the strange part.If I pull start him the bike will fire up within the first 20 feet or so and run fine.He can ride it the rest of the day and it will restart using the elec starter as long as it dose not sit for a long time.We put in a new plug and checked the carb but can't see anything.could it be a compression problem?I don't know it runs real good after ya pull start it that is the thing that is stumping us.We need some help.............

Thanks in advance........

Cly
:confused:

bowhunterr2001
03-26-2004, 05:12 AM
I had the same problem with mine, you crank and crank and it had a heck of time trying to start after sitting...Take a new plug and gap it to .035,and install it.. They came from the factory at .028 but with the wider gap it makes it easier to start and run better...Hope this helps...

Cly
03-26-2004, 05:44 AM
I will try that bowhunter....The bike is at my work so I will try it when I get there and post any changes.

Thanks Cly

Cly
03-26-2004, 12:35 PM
Well I tried to regap the plug but that did not help.....Man I just don't know what to do with this thing.......:mad:

Cly

popo
03-26-2004, 02:05 PM
Cly, Lets try a couple of trouble shooting ideas.

1. Sounds like you are not getting enough spark. Under neathe the fuel tank, you will find the coil, make that the ground wires are not cracked or pinched. There is also a ground wire with a small rubber boot on it. Clean all the dirt a crap out of it and clean the prong.

2. There's a Green and Yellow elect connector that is close to the top of the radiator. Pull those appart and also clean them.
Try some contact cleaner and take a small flat blade screw driver and gentely scratch the surface of the prongs.

3. Replace the fuse, if you look under the fuse boot, there is an ectra 20amp fuse.

adema
03-27-2004, 04:25 PM
or u can go to u fuel switch thats were it says "on or off" and switch it to pri which is mad for the cold weather i had that same exact problem. when u switch it to PRI wait one or two minutes and it should start because i had the same problem to in the winter

lsittingbull
03-27-2004, 11:27 PM
Yea, What he said ^^^^^^ use your pri . On page 28 In your owners manual gives some advice :huh

shagy
04-03-2004, 12:51 AM
i hate to ask but, are you using the choke? i hope so

snopromc88
04-03-2004, 09:10 PM
Same thing happened to me after letting it sit for winter. I just turned the idle up a little bit and it has run just as strong as it ever has. A new plug may be a good idea.

Cly
04-04-2004, 06:23 AM
Thanks for all the input.But we found out that the timming chain was one tooth off on the exhaust cam.We straightend that out and put another new plug in it and after about 10 min of cranking on it the thing fired up.We let it get warm and then it seemed to start ok but after it sat for 8 ta 10 hours it will not start up.The battery will go dead first.When we did the cold engine compression check it only had 30lbs max.After I fixed the timing
chain deal it had 65lbs.I am still thinking that it is a compression problem.I would think that it should have well over a 100lbs.But I don't have a manual and all the shops are closed.I am planning on making some phone calls on Monday or Tuesday to get the specs.If the compression is low where can we find a big bore kit that comes with everything we would need to install it for a good price?

If anyone know the compression specs post them for me if not I'll post them when I can find them.

Thanks Cly

joejoe
04-04-2004, 10:14 AM
I had the same problem with my Z. I ended up taking it to my local mechanic and he said there was not much compression. i think he said the valves or the piston was stuck. he took the head off found there was some carbon build up and it was just enough to get it stuck. he told me I probably didn't warm it up enough when i was messing around in the garage with it. Also he said to burn premium gas. I hope that helps.