PDA

View Full Version : i wanna make my puter faster :)

RiPPiNiTuP7
03-25-2004, 10:03 PM
i figure since i spend alot of time on the internet i might as well make it more enjoyable. i am pretty happy with my pc right now, but lately i been doing more complicated things with my pc that might slow her down a bit. it seems when i try clicking a bunch of crap really fast, or nearly at the same time, or just have like 10 programs going at the same time it might lag a little bit. i dont want it to do it AT ALL.

ASUS A7N8X-LA Motherboard
2.1ghz amd athlon processor
120gig western digital 7200rpm hdd
512mb pc2700 memory (truely 448...wtf?)
64mb Nvidia GeForce4 MX graphics
windows xp

what can i do to make things move a lil quicker?:D thanks guys.

Cal440exRider
03-25-2004, 10:12 PM
Seems to me like you have a good setup.
Right now I'm using a Intel Pentium II 750 MHZ Processor.
It really sucks because I just blew out the power supply in my good computer and am in the process of repairing it :grr:

But if you would want to try and make it a litte faster you can always defragment the HD and see if that helps any.

hondarider2006
03-25-2004, 10:48 PM
How many cooling fans are you running??

Remember....The cooler it stays, the faster its going to run;)

DillonTMNT
03-25-2004, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by RiPPiNiTuP7
i figure since i spend alot of time on the internet i might as well make it more enjoyable. i am pretty happy with my pc right now, but lately i been doing more complicated things with my pc that might slow her down a bit. it seems when i try clicking a bunch of crap really fast, or nearly at the same time, or just have like 10 programs going at the same time it might lag a little bit. i dont want it to do it AT ALL.

windows xp

what can i do to make things move a lil quicker?:D thanks guys.

should be fast enough if you have broadband...but you can always close some of the applications you have running aat all times. start>run>"msconfig">start up> then check everything you dont NEED running including real player and other audio devices. Dont close out any of your sys sh1t. Also follow these steps:

Step 1. run this free online scan (scan your whole harddrive)and quartentine everything (http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/com/activescan_principal.htm)

step 2. download and run this adware (http://download.com.com/3000-2144-10045910.html?part=69274&subj=dlpage&tag=button)

step 3. download install and run this spybot scanner (http://download.com.com/3000-2144-10194058.html?tag=lst-0-2)

step 4. go to www.google.com and install their toolbar/pop up blocker.

another thing you can do is go to start>settings>control panel>add or remove programs>use the "size" feature. you can find and delete anything you are not uaing...and yet again dont delete anything that looks important. This should make your computer run a lot faster. Hell you could always overclock but that wont do much for your Athalon
:eek: :devil: :blah:

-Dillon

Juggalo
03-25-2004, 10:51 PM
just be happy your not on an AMD 400mhz windows 98 1st edition machine like me using 56K

blank bliss
03-25-2004, 11:52 PM
How much faster do you want that thing to go....could always try defrag, full scandisk, run a virus program frequently..that generally helps it stay up to speed.

DillonTMNT
03-26-2004, 12:21 AM
I wouldnt suggest defragging your computer...if you want it to be at the optimum speed then just run a recovery disk and start over. You can lose tons of data from defragging. Just do what I said above and it will run at its most potential.....

-Dillon

EDIT: also try this START>programs>accesories>system tools> disk clean up

that uaully has a bit of temp files built up you can delete and clean up...I deleted like a gig of HD space once doing that.

LTandRaptorider
03-26-2004, 04:26 AM
Originally posted by Juggalo
just be happy your not on an AMD 400mhz windows 98 1st edition machine like me using 56K

I am happy! :eek: :p

Atreyu
03-26-2004, 05:14 AM
Put a Cobra pipe on it...and maybe a big spoiler.

Dunesurfer
03-26-2004, 10:47 AM
It sounds like a good setup, but if you want to upgrade I would start with a higher end graphics card and more memory. I just replaced my athlon xp 1600 systen with a pentium 3.0 Ghz and a ATI radeon 9800 pro graphics card and it rips. Also defrag your hard drive often.

xr50layke
03-26-2004, 11:15 AM
iv used an NEC 166mhz pentium 1 windows 95 with 56k since '95, STOP WUSSIN' :mad:

gojk
03-26-2004, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by DillonTMNT
I wouldnt suggest defragging your computer...if you want it to be at the optimum speed then just run a recovery disk and start over. You can lose tons of data from defragging. Just do what I said above and it will run at its most potential.....

-Dillon

EDIT: also try this START>programs>accesories>system tools> disk clean up

that uaully has a bit of temp files built up you can delete and clean up...I deleted like a gig of HD space once doing that.

Since when does defragging lose data. Defragging just organizes the data on the HDD in a more convient way for the HDD to access it faster. Although the newer OSes organize the data on the drive fairly well anyways so defragging on a new machine is rarely needed.

DillonTMNT
03-26-2004, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by gojk
Since when does defragging lose data. Defragging just organizes the data on the HDD in a more convient way for the HDD to access it faster. Although the newer OSes organize the data on the drive fairly well anyways so defragging on a new machine is rarely needed.

I guess I am stuck in 1996 with win95-8 haha It was always my thoughts that you can lose data from defragging.

-Dillon

gojk
03-26-2004, 11:52 AM
should be fast enough if you have broadband...but you can always close some of the applications you have running aat all times. start>run>"msconfig">start up> then check everything you dont NEED running including real player and other audio devices. Dont close out any of your sys sh1t. Also follow these steps:

Step 1. run this free online scan (scan your whole harddrive)and quartentine everything (http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/com/activescan_principal.htm)

step 2. download and run this adware (http://download.com.com/3000-2144-10045910.html?part=69274&subj=dlpage&tag=button)

step 3. download install and run this spybot scanner (http://download.com.com/3000-2144-10194058.html?tag=lst-0-2)

step 4. go to www.google.com and install their toolbar/pop up blocker.

another thing you can do is go to start>settings>control panel>add or remove programs>use the "size" feature. you can find and delete anything you are not uaing...and yet again dont delete anything that looks important. This should make your computer run a lot faster. Hell you could always overclock but that wont do much for your Athalon
:eek: :devil: :blah:

-Dillon

This is good advice. I recommend everyone doing this like once a month or so. It is amazing how much crap you pick up off the net in a short amount of time. Also for virus scanning, if you don't have a virus scanner go to grisoft.com and they have a free antivirus program that work really well.

HondaRancherES
03-26-2004, 12:30 PM
I say you build it. Mine has...

1 gig ram
560 gigs storage
9800 radon with 128mb
win xp pro
intel pent. 4 processor

blondie69
03-26-2004, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by xr50layke
iv used an NEC 166mhz pentium 1 windows 95 with 56k since '95, STOP WUSSIN' :mad:

Dude...u suk:huh :blah:

I really have no clue what I'm runnin (I know minimal) but it's good enough for me:) I jus looked under My Computer and it says..
AuthenticAMD
AMD Athlon(TM) XP 2500+
256.0 MB Ram
Microsoft Windows ME
I know I have a 20 gig drive (small, but it does me) and the system is good enuf for all I use it for:cool:

How do u find out the rest of the stuff??

RiPPiNiTuP7
03-26-2004, 02:37 PM
is there good memory/bad memory? i know specs wise 512mb is good, but you can hear that noise from the chips where it sounds like a crunchy type noise. my old pc used to do that and i upgraded the memory and i never heard it again. or maybe im just hearing stuff or something?:confused: i dunno, any ideas?

gojk
03-26-2004, 03:14 PM
is there good memory/bad memory? i know specs wise 512mb is good, but you can hear that noise from the chips where it sounds like a crunchy type noise. my old pc used to do that and i upgraded the memory and i never heard it again. or maybe im just hearing stuff or something?:confused: i dunno, any ideas?

That is the computer reading the hard drive. If this is happening all the time then you def need more memory because that means that windows is using swap space a lot, which slows the computer down alot. Also you may not hear it because that depends on the hard drive, but look at the disk like, if that is constantly on then put more RAM in it.

Dunesurfer
03-28-2004, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by blondie69
Dude...u suk:huh :blah:

I really have no clue what I'm runnin (I know minimal) but it's good enough for me:) I jus looked under My Computer and it says..
AuthenticAMD
AMD Athlon(TM) XP 2500+
256.0 MB Ram
Microsoft Windows ME
I know I have a 20 gig drive (small, but it does me) and the system is good enuf for all I use it for:cool:

How do u find out the rest of the stuff??

You go to start
programs
accessories
system tools
system information

Dunesurfer
03-28-2004, 06:37 PM

There is good and also better memory. Kingston makes hyper-x crucial has upgraded memory and so on most major brands make faster memory. For example , memory timing on regular memory will be 3-4-4-4-8 and really good memory will run at 2-2-2-3-4 and have heat spreaders to keep it running cool. If you add memory and it runs faster it will speed things up. Just remember you can only run as fast as the slowest memory stick. In other words if you buy say a stick of pc 3200 with a cl of 2 and you have other memory that is cl 3, the computer will run it all at cl3.
sorry for the long answer, hope it helps.

tony

SGA
03-28-2004, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by gojk
I think he meant to say he gained a gig when he did a disk cleanup.
Heres a small trick on XP. Go to:
Start, control panel, performance and maintenace, view basic info about your computer, advanced tab, performance settings, choose: adjust for best performance, ok.

Let me tell you, its going to turn off some of the pretty colors and such, but it makes your computer speed up a bit. If you dont like it, you can go back to the way it was. go to Control panel, system icon, advanced, performance settings, choose "let windows decide", ok.

Toadz400
03-28-2004, 10:14 PM
First, if you want to spend some money on your computer..try upgrading your RAM to 1 GB. That will help immensely if you are having troubles running multiple things at the same time.

Also do what SGA said with customizing your XP setup for maximum performance, I did that and it ran A LOT smoother.

Run more/better fans, make some air scoops lol:cool: , and if you would be willing to put all the stuff you want saved onto a Zip Disk and erase your hardrive, you can wipe out your hardrive so you can partition the hardrives. What it does is you can have multiple mini "hardrives" inside your hardrive, so that way you can have all your music on one, programs on one, and downloaded stuff like games/editing programs on another and that way when the computer searches for them it finds them A LOT quicker than searching through one hardrive and millions of stuff. That's sorta a short description of how it works, maybe someone can give a better one...but it's late and I'm fatigued from racing today so I'm going to go pass out now. Hope I helped:D

-Toadz

Disaster
03-29-2004, 08:21 AM
I have almost the same set up except i would get

AMD Athlon(TM) 2500+
128 mb video card.
1 gig of ram
and everything else on ur comp looks to be excellent.

Trust me it will run tons faster then now..Oh and get Cable internet if u dont already have it....

UglyMotha™
03-29-2004, 08:54 AM

:huh

Rebelrider4OOex
03-29-2004, 03:10 PM
dude u gotta get a dell:devil:

Dunesurfer
03-29-2004, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by Rebelrider4OOex

lmao

RiPPiNiTuP7
03-29-2004, 10:34 PM
i did some of the suggestions mentioned and my computer is running way better. i think i will leave it as is for now, very good info guys!

jesshamner
03-29-2004, 11:43 PM
Try throwing on a Type R badge. Or maybe a GTR badge. HOw about some stickers. Those will make it faster than anything out there!:blah:

hondarider2006
03-29-2004, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by Rebelrider4OOex

got one;)

blank bliss
03-29-2004, 11:51 PM
Who needs a Dell when they can build an awesome computer...like mine? Oh wait, mine has everything wrong with it in the world...yeah get a Dell.

pbarr86
03-30-2004, 06:42 PM

windows xp

Sounds like a good setup.

I would
1. Upgrade your RAM to a gig (as others have said)
2. Lose the video card, for cheap $$ you can get a 128mb card also make sure you get an AGP card not a PCI