PDA

View Full Version : Front bakes nonexsistant ?

Nj400EX
03-10-2002, 12:17 PM
The front brakes on my 400ex feel really spongy . Slowing down takes a long distance . On my friends warrior you tap the front brakes and stop on a dime . Whats the deal , is this how the brakes are ? are they adjusted properly ? any tips to make them actually feel like they are working LoL ?

dawzie
03-10-2002, 12:35 PM
spongy brakes can be caused by alot of things. If they have gotten mud or other debris in there, got to get pads clean as new. A frozen caliber could cause a problem. Air in the lines. Old fluid, should be changed every year. A defective master cylinder. We had a crushed brake line that looked OK but would expand under brake apply. Bent rotor or worn rotor after changing pads. Low fluid leval in master cyl.

Nj400EX
03-10-2002, 01:33 PM
The machine is brand new

Leo
03-10-2002, 01:39 PM
When I got my '01 you could pull the front brake handle to the bar and they would barely stop the bike.. I had to bleed them out..

I also had to adjust the throttle so it opened all the way (instead of just 3/4)..

I don't think my dealer did a super job of prepping the bike.. could be the same problem yours is suffering from :(

Leo

rossano
03-11-2002, 10:07 AM
what is this 3/4 throttle stuff all about? you mean i may be only getting 3/4 of my full throttle? is there a link to show where and how i go about checking/fixing this? thanx

03-11-2002, 10:13 AM
rossano,,,start your bike and let it warm up,,if you can push your throttle in a little and the motor doesn't rev,,then your cable is sloppy,, it's a adjust and play setting to get it correct....

pull the black rubber boot back from the throttle housing,,there you'll see an adjustment knob,,brass round screw fixture,type thingy. adjust it so that it takes up some slack,,you'll have to make a few adjustments to get it right,,make sure it's adjusted properly before riding it...look in the owners manual,,it also tells ya how to do this,,and gives proper measurements.. I only had 3/4 throttle also when mine was new..

And NJ400ex,,,,I know the bikes new,,but get some stainless brake lines and she'll stop on a dime for sure,,,,NO spongy feeling anymore..

Nj400EX
03-11-2002, 01:42 PM
Thanx Rico , I'll put it onmy already lenghty list of parts to buy LoL