PDA

View Full Version : best cam?

hndabestonearth
03-25-2004, 08:14 PM
Ok, I am thinking about four cams for when I get my 450r.

There is the HRC, which I will have when I buy the HRC kit, but I may want to replace it if it is worth it. There is also the sparks cam, the hot cam, or just a crf450 cam. I like my power to be all around, not all bottom, or top, but relatively all around power, with a linear hp curve. What are your opinions?

Thanks, I appreciate any input.;)

lukester720
03-26-2004, 12:27 PM
I have the 02 crf cam but its not very impressive. Duncan also has a couple of 450r cams out. Don't forget them.

brif
03-26-2004, 06:45 PM
My dealer told me not to waste my time on the HRC kit. They have been installing sparks pipes and cams and they claim they're getting better performance. I don't know if this is true or not, but when the dealer says don't waste my money I can't help but wonder.

2004TRX450R
03-26-2004, 11:59 PM
If you are going to get another cam don't get the HRC kit. That is more or less what makes the kit. If you buy it then another cam you are wasteing your money. I wouldn't go with the CRF cam because the HRC cam will make more power. It has more lift and duration. It is yet to be seen what cam will make more power between the Sparks and Hot cams vs the HRC. But Honda built the engine and knows how to make it go. The HRC stuff is usually about the best you can get and it up to factory specifications so it is more likely to be more reliable. I really like the HRC kit I put in mine and wouldn't do it any different if I had to do it again. It makes good power through out the power band.

Originally posted by brif
My dealer told me not to waste my time on the HRC kit. They have been installing sparks pipes and cams and they claim they're getting better performance. I don't know if this is true or not, but when the dealer says don't waste my money I can't help but wonder.

That's probably because they have the Sparks stuff and they can sell it to you right now. The HRC kits haven't been comming in very fast so if they don't have it to sell to you then they can't make any money on it.

dn1911
03-31-2004, 03:58 PM
anyone else tried any of the other cams on the market to see how they perform? i'm looking for some thing in the low to mid power band.

86atc250r
03-31-2004, 04:01 PM
If that's what you want, keep the stock cam and get a pipe.

Practically every afteramarket camshaft made will be guaranteed to shift power up the curve not down the curve.

The stock cam provides a very nice power curve and good bottom end. Adding a pipe and opening the airbox will build upon the power you already have instead of shifting it up the RPM curve.

Your only other options would be to raise the compression and/or increase the displacement

brif
03-31-2004, 04:47 PM
I talked to sparks today and liked what they had to say. Plus I can't find a HRC kit anyway.

4fiddyR
03-31-2004, 07:44 PM
Sparks cam has more bottom end and mid range than the HRC cam kit. Hrc kit has more top end.
My buddy has the HRC kit, and I have the sparks cam and pipe, he likes mine better than his for useable power and I agree.