PDA

View Full Version : Check out my custom air scoops!

ATVer14
03-10-2002, 11:10 AM
Hey guys, I just made these the other weekend. Took me maybe 2 hours tops and about $10 for the aluminum and screws. I think they look pretty good, my friend also made some for his Blaster. Tell me what you think of them.

ATVer14
03-10-2002, 11:15 AM
Here's another pic, not as clear, but you can see how I mounted them. I'll try to get a picture of the whole quad with them on there asap.

03-10-2002, 04:53 PM
those are sweet.teach me how.teach us all.

03-10-2002, 05:49 PM
Whats the purpose of them?

400exRacerX
03-10-2002, 06:02 PM
Yeah whats the point of having them on a 300ex? 300ex's don't have oil coolers.

03-10-2002, 06:55 PM
probaly to direct more air to the engine, cooler engine= more hp

R-Crazy
03-10-2002, 07:52 PM
tell us how and post a pic of the whole bike!
thanx

dave

ATVer14
03-11-2002, 10:17 AM
Alright, here it goes.
1. The purpose, like freeridin400ex said, is to direct more air at the engine since a cooler engine results in more HP. Even if the engine doesn't have an oil cooler, it still benefits from increased air flow.
2. I just took a couple of pics of the whole quad, but I'm at school right now, so I'll post them when I get home.
3. Making them wasn't that hard. First you have to figure out where you want to mount them to, thats the hardest part. I mounted my to the front engine mount's top bolt, the fender support bracket's bolt, one of the rubber mud flaps brackets, and bolted them together with a piece of aluminum and a couple screws.
Then once you know where you're going to mount them, I took a piece of cardboard from a cereal box and made a template with all the bends and screw holes in it so that it fit just like the real thing. It took a little trimming here and there, and a couple of different bends, but I got it to look just right.
Then I took the cardboard template off the frame and traced it onto a piece of aluminum from the hardware store. I cut it out with tin snips and used a vice and a set of hand benders (don't know what else to call them) to bend it the same as the cardboard.
The last thing I did was to put the aluminum piece back on the bike and get the screw holes in the right place and drill them out.
Then I just did the same for the other side, but reversed the bends so it fit the other side.
They fit perfectally and are very sturdy. I polished them up once they were mounted with some Mothers, and they almost look factory now.
If you study the pictures closely, you can see exactly how I mounted them and how I bent the aluminum.
I hope this helps, I think they increase the cool factor of the quad as well as make another horse of two when the engine gets hot compaired to an engine that doesn't have the scoops.
-Kenny

ATVer14
03-11-2002, 02:24 PM
Here's a view of the whole quad with the scoops on.

ATVer14
03-11-2002, 02:25 PM
And another view

ATVer14
03-11-2002, 02:26 PM
And one last view:

chris29
03-11-2002, 02:45 PM
Hey maybe you or tinner should start making them and selling them to us here on exriders.