PDA

View Full Version : Just curious about the 400ex HMF

breaks-alot
03-10-2002, 10:12 AM
I was checking out some pipe shoot out with the HMF in it. I know all of you guys have read it was that "up in smoke" 400 pipe test. Anyway I am ordering my slip-on soon and I saw the HMF has a nice amount of low end. So I figure when I get my cam and piston then I don't need much mid and top from a pipe. Anyway I was wondering if anyone in here was brave enough to try this pipe out? They really got a great idea with the colors they offer. Also I was wondering how loud is this pipe? I don't want to piss off my neighbors too much;) If this pipe is to loud I will just get the supertrapp and say **** with pipes until I can save up for my x-6 w/spark arrestor.

Thanks for any help you can offer,
Ben#16

03-10-2002, 08:20 PM
I have the HMF slip-on. I love mine. The power gain was huge (along with the jet kit) and the build quality was really great. It is loud, I won't lie to you but it is not annoyingly loud. It sounds great and the price is great. I 100% guarantee that you won't be dissappointed. Trust me!

03-10-2002, 09:47 PM
i fully agree. i had the slip on and it provided a very nice increase in low end torque. i have just recently switched to the full system and the gains were very large again. the only other mod on that machine is an open airbox, choke removal, and jetted. it's well built, fits good, and performs excellent........but it is very loud and throaty!!!!!

breaks-alot
03-11-2002, 09:31 AM
worldvsme: Do you still have the slip-on? (Like have u sold it yet) Or did u just buy the header separate?

Kadafiy
03-11-2002, 01:21 PM
ATV action had the price of the slip-on at $150. Is that the real price? What did you guys pay? Looks like this is the Ohio thread!

03-11-2002, 03:49 PM
if you get the slip on you cant just upgrade to the full system, because the inlet the the slipon is a different size...kinda sucks, but such is life. hans at hmf has always taken good care of me. if you walk into hmf with cash they will at least discount tax, but they will probably do even better than that! if your gonna upgrade and want hmf, get the full system, its really nice and flows very well.

Kadafiy
03-11-2002, 04:16 PM
I think I saw that HMF's # was 440. Where are they? I live right by Cleveland.

breaks-alot
03-11-2002, 05:02 PM
Kadafiy good questoin. I live in ashtabula county(right on the lake) and i would be willing to drive there to get it with out shipping also.

Kadafiy
03-11-2002, 06:07 PM
I drive past Supertrapp everyday (It's cool to see that big logo painted on their building!!!) and was thinking about calling them or stopping in to see what kind of a deal they would give me, but I saw the HMF in a magazine and liked the look. Plus 150 or under is an amazing price!!!

breaks-alot
03-11-2002, 06:17 PM
How good of a deal do you think I could get if I got it straight from supertrapp insted of Rockymountainatv?

Kadafiy
03-11-2002, 06:31 PM
Don't know. You could probably get a better deal if you went to them in person. Plus no S&H. I'm going to check out HMF's website. It's www.hmfengineering.com they should have their adress there.

Kadafiy
03-12-2002, 12:54 PM
I just got back for HMF. They are in Brooklyn off of Clinton just in case anyone else wants to go there. I talked to the owner and he is a really nice guy, he is a good guy to talk to because he also owns a 400ex and said he use to race. He gave me an unbeatable price on a pipe and even threw in some WB airbox vents. He said the pipe gives 4hp on the low end and I believe him because they showed me their dyno where they test their pipes. I'm going to put the pipe on as soon as I can find a 165 main jet, then I'll let you know what I think of the pipe. I really like their customer service and the look of the pipe. Also, you can get different colors. It's good to have the shop in your area because they can tell you the exact jetting specs. If you're thinking of going with an HMF pipe I say go for it. Oh yeah just in case you're confused I got the slip-on and HMF is in Brooklyn, Ohio.

03-12-2002, 05:14 PM
I had the HMF slip-on on a 99 model 400ex I had bored to 406. The gains were GREAT. I dealt directly with HMF, got a polished one, and they even sent it out COD. Great company.