PDA

View Full Version : Is my engine in danger?

ProConcept
03-25-2004, 03:47 PM
Well I picked up my 450R last saturday! :) But something has got me worried ever since I left the dealer. When they pulled it out of the shop the guys started it up a drove it around to our truck. Well after we shut it off (ran for like 2 min) we all noticed that there was no oil showing in the engine oil window, and after waiting some time oil never really showed up in the window. So the man went back in the shop brought out some oil and poured some in. He didn't pour much in before it showed full in the window. Now my question is did we run the engine without oil in it, possibly causing slight engine damage? Or was there oil in there but just not enough to show up in the window?
If ridden it a couple times this week and there was no sign of problems. Ran quite nice actually. so what do you guys think?

jmpulse
03-25-2004, 04:07 PM
I full oil change take right around 1 quart, at least that is my experance. When I did my oil change, I filled it up, and ran it. when I was done running it, the oil was just below the window. It only took it around an 1/8th of a quart to go from below the window, to on the full mark.

As long as it was just a little added, I don't see a problem.

4fiddyR
03-25-2004, 04:15 PM
your fine:)

250rtone
03-25-2004, 10:13 PM
Mine did the same thing and it's fine.

joe1l
03-25-2004, 10:16 PM
I noticed mine was low after only a half tank of gas, so I changed my oil then. when I changed the oil, i put a tad more oil then the book suggested. Now I haven't noticed the oil go low yet! Is there anything wrong with an extra few oz. of oil.
Joe

BigThumper33
03-25-2004, 10:22 PM
can cause to much oil pressure, and blow seals.

joe1l
03-25-2004, 10:27 PM
Do you think that an extra couple of oz. would do this?
Joe

dn1911
03-26-2004, 10:43 AM
its hard to tell if a couple of extra ounces could cause exseive presure or not. what usually happens with to much oil is foaming. the oil gets wipped up to a foam like mix that will not return back to smooth running oil. this causes two things extra drag on rotaing assem. and lack of oil protection. don't forget after you change oil and filter to start the bike and let it run for a few than shut it off and wait about 5-10 min for oil to drain back down. u should be a little low cause the filter soaked up some just top it off. just like a car.

BSTURDIVANT
03-30-2004, 07:29 PM
We run ours to the top of the sight glass with no problems!