PDA

View Full Version : Rear brake siezed

JOEX
03-24-2004, 09:57 PM
Went for a ride on our track yesterday to check how the PowerBomb header is. Before unloading I was looking around the quad a bit and noticed the rear pads were worn farther than I thought. Threw a new set in and everything seemed fine.

On the first lap it was running great, almost lost it a couple of times, it seemed much quicker. Near the end of the second lap it starterd bogging a bit. Each lap is about 1.3 miles. On the third lap it got really bad so I headed back to the shop, as I slowed down to turn the quad around the rear end locked up.

I got off and looked at the rear and the rotor was glowing red! It was daylight out too. After about fifteen minutes or so the brake loosened and was able to be turned.

It took about a half an hour to cool enough to work on.

I dismounted the caliper and took the brand new pads off, they were toast, pics to follow.

The rotor isn't warped, I put the rear end on a stand, ran the quad in gear and there wasn't any wobble.

Today I took the caliper apart, there doesn't seem to be any visible damage. I did have to file the outer part of the caliper to get the piston out. I'm sure I need to replace the seals and o-rings.

I put everything back together, new pads, bled the line but the pedal is very stiff and wont return naturally.

I'm thinking there's something wrong with the master cylinder.

I'm not sure if the heat build up caused the master cylinder to tighen up or if the master cylinder caused the pads to lock up.

Can anyone decipher that and give me some input?:p

Joe

K_Fulk
03-24-2004, 10:31 PM
This may or may not be your problem but sometimes the brake pedal shaft freezes up in the frame. There a pain to take out when this happens. But after you get it out clean the gunk out and lube it up its good to go.

JOEX
03-24-2004, 10:49 PM
I forgot about checking that;) as well as forgetting to post pics:o :huh

Got about ten minutes of use out of these pads.....

JOEX
03-24-2004, 10:50 PM
:(

JOEX
03-24-2004, 10:52 PM

K_Fulk
03-24-2004, 10:52 PM
Didnt mess up your disk did it.

JOEX
03-24-2004, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by K_Fulk
Didnt mess up your disk did it.
That's my next question:D

It doesn't seem to be warped but I don't know if the extreme heat caused any damage to the metal, i.e. hardness and/or tempering, if that even matters.

And if the heat caused any damage to the carrier bearings.

redroost85
03-25-2004, 07:05 AM
Wow, Joe!:eek2: Man, that has got to suck. Shhesh, and I thought I had crazt schiz happen to my ride. Heck, I ain't never had that before!:huh

Hope it didn't screw up anything else too bad.

02Yellow400
03-25-2004, 02:31 PM
What was the reason for you motor glowing red? And what can are you running with that powerbomb?

zephead400ex
03-25-2004, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by 02Yellow400
What was the reason for you motor glowing red? And what can are you running with that powerbomb?

It was the rotor, not the motor.:D

twisted threads
03-25-2004, 03:27 PM
Yep brakes locking up is a HUGE horsepower ROBBER!!! lol
Joe Do you have a E-brake still on your bike or do you have it blocked off? My bro had is E-brake some how get stuck ON and it did the same thing... I don't think that is your problem but im just tring to throw something out there for you because I know how it is to have something go wrong and not know what the problem is.:D

JOEX
03-25-2004, 08:32 PM
Thanks, e-brake has been removed.

Anyone else?

user101
03-25-2004, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by JOEX
Thanks, e-brake has been removed.

Anyone else?

did u ride the brakes for the litle time u was out. i have seen first hand chris borich come into the pits with a red rotor(no brakes) and them pour water on it to get the temp back down.

JOEX
03-25-2004, 09:41 PM
Pretty sure I wasn't riding the brake;)

I would think putting water on red hot parts would be the last thing to do, but I bet the pros have plenty of parts ready to go on.

I think letting the rotor cool slowly prevented it from warping.

Joe

SGA
03-25-2004, 09:57 PM
You sure have a ugly thumb!:D

Check the brake pedal shaft first. 2nd, Build up pressure with the pedal and release pedal. if the brakes are locked or hard to turn, loosen the bleeder on the caliper. If the brakes release, it your hose.(rare)
If they dont release, its your caliper.

JOEX
03-25-2004, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by SGA
You sure have a ugly thumb!:D

Check the brake pedal shaft first. 2nd, Build up pressure with the pedal and release pedal. if the brakes are locked or hard to turn, loosen the bleeder on the caliper. If the brakes release, it your hose.(rare)
If they dont release, its your caliper.
I keep sucking on it but the ugly wont go away!:blah: :D

I have had the caliper off and apart, put back and bled. While it was off and the line off (new ss lines btw) the pedal was still stiff and would not return.

I'm thinking it's either the pedal shaft or the master cylinder, though i'm sure at least the dust seal and o-rings in the caliper will need to be replaced due to the extreme heat that was generated.

SGA
03-25-2004, 10:16 PM
You would be surprised how much heat calipers can take, and Im sure your bearings are fine. Clean and grease that pedal shaft. Mine was sticking too. Undo the linkage clip, pull the cotter pin, and pull that puppy out.

JOEX
03-25-2004, 10:51 PM
This may or may not be your problem but sometimes the brake pedal shaft freezes up in the frame. There a pain to take out when this happens. But after you get it out clean the gunk out and lube it up its good to go.
I'm pretty sure that is what it is now, thanks to you and Howie:)

I removed the clip on the back of the shaft and the cotter pin to the master cylinder, I really don't like the idea of them being installed from the other side:mad: PITA to remove.

I haven't got the pedal out yet but it still moves with the same resistance as if it was all together.

Hopefully tomorrow i'll get the pedal out. Any pointers?:)

K_Fulk
03-26-2004, 01:16 AM
Usually it should pull right out. See if you can pry it out with a screw driver or something between the pedal and the frame. if that dont do it you probly need to use some heat on the frame around the shaft.

Too bad it had to do it right after you installed a new set of pads. Murphy's law i guess.

SGA
03-26-2004, 06:38 PM
I'd start with wd-40 and work it loose.

JOEX
03-26-2004, 08:11 PM

Too bad it had to do it right after you installed a new set of pads. Murphy's law i guess.
No kidding:(

I can rotate it the full range but it isn't even thinking about coming out. I've been loading it up with WD-40 and tried the pry bay in various locations. Even tried pounding it with a metal rod and hammer, no luck. The heat is next.

I'm sure glad I greased the swing arm bolt:p

Joe