PDA

View Full Version : Wiesco Or Je

FAST#9EX
03-24-2004, 05:30 PM
WHICH ONE IS BETTER.

Cole Trane
03-24-2004, 06:01 PM
From what I've seen on here, most like the JE. I think the wiseco is much heavier.

Hondaluva
03-24-2004, 07:27 PM
I have a Wiseco and the advertised compression ratio is not accurate. Got the Wiseco 11:1, expecting to get that CR and ended up having to go without a base gasket just to get 10.5:1. I think the JE is much closer to the advertised CR. It's always good to do your homework before you start these projects. You're on the right track...Good Luck!!

Knips178
03-24-2004, 08:23 PM
The advertised compression is right if you put the engine together right. Everyone thinks the wiseco is bad because if you just slap it together you don't get 11:1. Well, if you want super easy get a je or ross piston and go by what they say, but i bet there not exactly spot on either. You have to check the compression after it's together and adjust accordingly for any kit you use.

as for weight, that i'm not sure about, but i'm sure it's not even noticeable. there are alot of people running wisecos and are very happy.

QuadJunkies
03-25-2004, 01:04 AM
I dont hear much talked about with ROSS pistons???? I read a thread that Mickey posted about that was a good thread .......;)

Hondaluva
03-25-2004, 08:15 AM
The advertised compression is right if you put the engine together right. Everyone thinks the wiseco is bad because if you just slap it together you don't get 11:1.

Knips178, if you are talking about decking the cylinder or running without a base gasket and only one layer of head gasket I would agree with you. In my mind that set up is not "right". I understand that adjusting the gasket thickness is important to proper compression ratio's. But when the Wiseco tech. support guy told me that it's not a true 11:1 for the 400EX and he can't even tell me what gasket thickness to use, I see that as a problem. Nothing against Wiseco, but the only reason I said the advertised CR is not accurate is because I don't think that decking your cylinder or running no base gasket and one layer of head gasket should be part of a proper set up.

Knips178
03-25-2004, 08:42 AM
Interesting, the tech told you that the 11:1 isn't a true 11:1? That's news to me. Well, I'm in the middle of building my wiseco 440 right now, i'll report if there are any special considerations to reach the true compression ratio.

Hondaluva
03-25-2004, 08:50 AM
Yeah, let me know. I am actually doing final set up on my 440 project this weekend. What gaskets are you using? I am going without a base gasket and am going to end up with 10.5:1. If it's not good enough for me, I'll have the cylinder decked. But at this point I'm just not interested in running with only one layer of head gasket or decking the cylinder. There is a very nice CR calc. on www.rosspistons.com that you should check out. Send me a private message if you have any more questions.

QuadJunkies
03-25-2004, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by Hondaluva
Yeah, let me know. I am actually doing final set up on my 440 project this weekend. What gaskets are you using? I am going without a base gasket and am going to end up with 10.5:1. If it's not good enough for me, I'll have the cylinder decked. But at this point I'm just not interested in running with only one layer of head gasket or decking the cylinder. There is a very nice CR calc. on www.rosspistons.com that you should check out. Send me a private message if you have any more questions. I was ust curious.. I was highly reccomended to buy Ross...So I did.......:)

Hondaluva
03-25-2004, 10:07 AM
I've only heard good things about Ross.