PDA

View Full Version : varner88

ryanh250ex
03-24-2004, 04:46 PM
about a month and a half ago i bought a '84 Z50 off varner88 here on exriders.

he told me the bike didn't run because it was missing a wiring harness. he told me the motor was brand new, carb was brand new, ignition was brand new, cdi was new and all, everything motor related was new. the ONLY thing the bike needed was a wiring harness. he told me he had previously ran the bike with a harness off a '86 cr80, and the only reason he had taken off the harness was to put it back on the cr80 when he sold it.

so i drive 50 miles out of my way to see this bike. the bike SEEMS to fit the description the kid gave to me. his dad is answering most of the questions i'm firing off, telling me "oh yeah, the bike just needs a wiring harness, look, i even got the rectifier and the cdi for ya!". i noticed a couple of very small problems, like a missing bolt on the tiple clamp to clamp down to the left fork, and loose handlebars, but it didn't seem like anything too major. boy, was i in for a rude awakening.

as we were throwing it into the jeep, i noticed that the bike had no air filter. no biggie, i thought. i asked him about it after i got home that night , he just said "well, a air filter is so cheap, it's negligible". i didn't think anything of it, so i carried on with it.

i bring the bike home, and notice the reason for the loose handlebars was a stripped screw. the screw is tack welded in, so i cant remove it. so i have to shell out money for new handlebars. keep in mind that i am a 16 yr old kid with very little income.

again, i think, no biggie. wiring harness, handlebars, and a air filter. and 2-3 missing bolts.all were things i could live with, and easily afford.

then i notice there wasnt enough room to fit an air filter. it turned out that the intake manifold was something other than OEM (it was needed to clear the starter motor), and was way too long
to fit the filter. so now i have to buy a intake manifold for a XR50.

since the intake manifold from the XR50 made the carb go right where the starter motor was, i now had to remove the starter motor, and then get a custom aluminum block-off plate fabricated.

finally, i buy a wiring harness. i go to re-wire the bike, and most of the wire connections are missing crimps. he even cut off the connectors at the end of the coil! i dont own any crimps, nor do i own a soldering gun, so i am frustrated by this, plus i now realize he knew about how many problems this bike had.

frustrated, i send my bike to Trapani Racing Setups in Waretown, NJ (great shop by the way :D) they let me know the following day that the CDI i had was NO GOOD for the 50, and the owner of the shop offered me his personal CDI off his 50 for 60 bucks (great deal, considering they are $120 new).

and to think- all i was told was needed was a wiring harness, a 40 dollar part. i have spent roughly 250 DOLLARS trying to get this bike ready to go.

bottom line: varner88 and his dad are BS artists. they buy stuff, nig-rig it so they can at least say it ran or runs, and try to make a profit off of it.

for example, they bought a '02 Suzuki RM125 from a local racer. not even 6 weeks after they bought it, they tried to make a 400 dollar profit by putting it up for sale without putting a dime into it, hoping some moron would be dumb enough to pay that much for a used bike.i KNOW this because a friend of mine knows the person they bought it from.

my advice to everyone is to either stay away from this member's ads, or be EXTREMELY cautious about what he sells. he is willing of telling you anything and EVERYTHING it takes to make the sale, and to get his money. he is dishonest and anything but a man of his word.

nice way to pull a fast one on me, chris, too bad you were caught in the act.

416exmx
03-25-2004, 07:23 AM
Originally posted by ryanh250ex
for example, they bought a '02 Suzuki RM125 from a local racer. not even 6 weeks after they bought it, they tried to make a 400 dollar profit by putting it up for sale without putting a dime into it, hoping some moron would be dumb enough to pay that much for a used bike.i KNOW this because a friend of mine knows the person they bought it from.

for some reason i dont like this paragraph. i dont know if you have noticed or not, but all sales items are resold for a profit. think about it, everything from car dealers to the coke you buy out of the pop machine, these items are bought cheaper and then sold to customers for a higher amount resulting in a profit. get over it, big deal, everyone makes money... yes it sounds like you friend's buddy was the MORON to pay too much, no one told him he HAD to buy it...

with that said, i dont know anything about the bike or the deal you two had going on. If you did get screwed then i am sorry. i kinda feel that you should have known that buying a bike that is 20 years old would result in worn, broken, missing and stripped parts. if i remember you bought this at a pretty cheap price also so, you get what you pay for, if it is cheap, most likley there is a reason...

anyway, i am not taking eithers side here. i am in the resale business and just am stating a few facts from experience.

ryanh250ex
03-25-2004, 08:04 AM
Originally posted by 416exmx
for some reason i dont like this paragraph. i dont know if you have noticed or not, but all sales items are resold for a profit. think about it, everything from car dealers to the coke you buy out of the pop machine, these items are bought cheaper and then sold to customers for a higher amount resulting in a profit. get over it, big deal, everyone makes money... yes it sounds like you friend's buddy was the MORON to pay too much, no one told him he HAD to buy it...

with that said, i dont know anything about the bike or the deal you two had going on. If you did get screwed then i am sorry. i kinda feel that you should have known that buying a bike that is 20 years old would result in worn, broken, missing and stripped parts. if i remember you bought this at a pretty cheap price also so, you get what you pay for, if it is cheap, most likley there is a reason...

anyway, i am not taking eithers side here. i am in the resale business and just am stating a few facts from experience.

he DID screw me. he and his dad assured me all the bike needed would be some small reinforcements on the handlebars, and a wiring harness. they had the bike for 6 months, if not longer, so it is HIGHLY likely they knew the problems of the bike.

250-300 bucks later, the bike is still not running, and not ready to ride.

jonc623
03-25-2004, 09:15 AM
sounds to me like a case of buyer beware and yes when something is bought to resale the seller wants to make money i recently traded for a 400 ex and it took alot more to fix it than i thought but i didnt put down the guy for tradeing it was my choice and i knew it might be more than he thought wrong with it but hey that is a chance you take with used stuff im not putting you down but you need to be a little more cautious when makeing a deal and if you want new for used price then forget that and buy new i really feel bad for you cause i remember what it is like to be a kid and want something so if i were you i would take it as a lesson and move on and fix the things when you can

ryanh250ex
03-25-2004, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by jonc623
sounds to me like a case of buyer beware and yes when something is bought to resale the seller wants to make money i recently traded for a 400 ex and it took alot more to fix it than i thought but i didnt put down the guy for tradeing it was my choice and i knew it might be more than he thought wrong with it but hey that is a chance you take with used stuff im not putting you down but you need to be a little more cautious when makeing a deal and if you want new for used price then forget that and buy new i really feel bad for you cause i remember what it is like to be a kid and want something so if i were you i would take it as a lesson and move on and fix the things when you can

i'll fix it when and how i can, and i will move on.

while i'm very frustrated that this bike has been nothing but a nightmare, i mainly put this up so that other people can see that he is a liar and is dishonest.

since at the time he was trying to sell his RM125, and i had a friend who lives in his area (the same guy who knows the previous owner of the bike) and had him come over before i arrived to pick up the bike, to pretend he was interested in the RM, but was really there to inspect the 50. he fired off some questions about the RM (which is modified to a degree that only a racer could truely appreciate), knowing all the details already, and noticed that varner was doing anything but telling the truth. he said it was just a weekend rider, and the mods were on the bike as he bought it. yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah, right.

like i said, i just wanted to let everyone know that he is sneaky.

jonc623
03-25-2004, 07:56 PM
i can see where you are coming from i just hope you see what i was sayin and i do feel bad that this has happened to you and i hope you learned a lesson hope you get your bike going soon so you can ride

ryanh250ex
03-26-2004, 05:33 AM
Originally posted by jonc623
i can see where you are coming from i just hope you see what i was sayin and i do feel bad that this has happened to you and i hope you learned a lesson hope you get your bike going soon so you can ride

naw, dont feel bad, ima be okay :)

ryanh250ex
03-27-2004, 05:26 PM
if this isn't proof that he is a scumbag, i dont know what is (this is a convo between me and him......i am rh027)

PUNKPERSON62: dude i sware im sorry but i have good news anyway
PUNKPERSON62: the hole bottom of the motor was cracked
PUNKPERSON62: and had a hole in it
Rh027: the 405X?
PUNKPERSON62: yea
PUNKPERSON62: so its kinda a good thing
PUNKPERSON62: the hole cashing had a crack
PUNKPERSON62: caseing
Rh027: so now what do you do
PUNKPERSON62: i sent it anyway i already got paid
Rh027: he's gonna be pissed off
PUNKPERSON62: i had no chocie ill just say ups did it
Rh027: it's dishonest
Rh027: but it's your choice
PUNKPERSON62: i know but i had to get rid of it plus i already had spent his money
Rh027: ::shrugs::
Rh027: you better hope he believes you
Rh027: ......if i had bought it and i found that, i probably would beat you within a inch of death and made you pay me back every last dollar, regardless of how broke you were
PUNKPERSON62: no its not a my problem i said it needed work and was leaking oil
Rh027: but you said it was due to a seal behind the sprocket
PUNKPERSON62: thats is wut its from there is no oil leaking form the hole
Rh027: regardless...pray you didn't **** with the wrong guy
PUNKPERSON62: i dont give a **** ur just lucky u didnt get it

EastCoast330
03-30-2004, 02:58 PM
Hey man, I know how you feel. I bought a 86 250r from Santo D. and was told that the bike is ready to ride, I get it home and start going through it and it needs basically every bushing and seal replaced on the a-arms, cranked it up the first time rode it about 30 min. and it backfires and blows the headpipe right off the joint and I had to replace the gasket and the joint because it was cracked, the shocks are trashed and need to be rebuilt and I keep on finding things wrong. It wouldnt be to bad if he told me up front what it needed.:( but I didnt find out until after the sale.