PDA

View Full Version : taking whoops

stonerider250x
03-24-2004, 04:34 PM
i need some tips for taking whoops out on the track. Normaly i keep the front end up and kinda hop across them. lol. this seems to be real slow and very rough. ive seen the pro riders double them and i tried that and my rear wheels alway catchthe top of the second whoop. i just wanna kno a faster way to get across them.

AtvMxRider
03-24-2004, 04:41 PM
The fastest way is to double them. When your rear wheel hits the top of the second jump just be on the gas.

Stock 400 rider
03-24-2004, 05:11 PM
I've tried to do like the dirtbikes many times with the front end up and my butt on the back, revving a lot but I found hard.

Is this the right way to do it or I have to dive my front end and double them like Jeremiah Jones on Huevos 5?
Tim Farr was really amazing on his track on Huevos 6 aboard his Suzuki

roostin_dale
03-24-2004, 05:15 PM
if it is like a rythm section just try to double through them..if you catch your back tires dont get scared and slow down..just keep goin:)

If they are small whoops that you cant double....get as far back as you can and go fast..don't try to control the bike, go with the flow:D

stonerider250x
03-24-2004, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by roostin_dale
if it is like a rythm section just try to double through them..if you catch your back tires dont get scared and slow down..just keep goin:)

If they are small whoops that you cant double....get as far back as you can and go fast..don't try to control the bike, go with the flow:D

sound like im just gonna have to practice on them alot to get it down. the first time i tried doubling them i nose dived and about endoed my quad.lol

roostin_dale
03-24-2004, 06:21 PM
that happens to the best of us..just keep practicing..

one day at the track and you will have it down

Berry
03-24-2004, 07:21 PM
woops take practice, but almost every track has them so if you have too worry about them so does every one else you are racing. when you go through small woops try to skim them by keeping your tires on the top of each woop. it sounds hard but you really have too have the nuts. what i do is just run too them as fast as i can, then i try too clear as many as i can i usually triple or quad in, depening on how long of a run and go. but just try to clear as many as u can then slam your rear too the back of the seat and pretend your trying too ride a big whellie across a field. if you have the nerve too do this it will help.

4fiddyR
03-25-2004, 07:13 PM
my buddy just dances across the top of em, looks bad*****! I'm still doubling them.

440's necessary
03-25-2004, 07:22 PM
I have had great success skimming whoops sections. If the whoops are 1.5 ft. deep and about 3 ft. apart. Launch into them adjust your body to the rear of the quad and pin it 2nd gear. As you go through them you will find it beneficial to pull yourself forward to maximize traction/speed. Using this technique I "skim" the uphill whoops section every time.

If they are actually rollers, a mount of dirt 2 ft. high and 4-6 ft. apart, it's best to double them, with am occasional triple for rhythm.

If they are sand deep rough whoops, the faster the tire speed the easier they are.

It takes a while to just pin it, but get good at them and it will win the race, or at least you'll make up alot of time. Other people get really scared in these sections and slow down alot.

smiley

JUSTINcredible
03-25-2004, 08:27 PM
whoops are my favorite part and i can pass alot of ppl in them, as scary or hard it may seem just go full bore through them, dont let off, and keep your weight back. a little practice and it will get easyer

stonerider250x
03-25-2004, 09:06 PM
im gonna try goin thru them with out letting off like evryone is sayin next time i go tot he track. ill have to get the guts up to do thei thn keep practicin:macho

QuadJunkies
03-25-2004, 09:52 PM
I hate whoops. They WHOOP my Arse everytime:grr:

LTandRaptorider
03-26-2004, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by QuadJunkies
I hate whoops. They WHOOP my Arse everytime:grr:

Oh admit it... you like gettin your arse whooped! :blah:

Hammer trx450r
03-26-2004, 06:10 PM
you need to preload at the face of the first lip, it will lift your ars up alittle to help clear the second or third

QuadJunkies
03-26-2004, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by LTandRaptorider
Oh admit it... you like gettin your arse whooped! :blah: Only if Im being whipped with feathers......:D :devil:

LTandRaptorider
03-26-2004, 10:53 PM
Only if Im being whipped with feathers......:D :devil:

I'm plucking my chicken as we speak! :eek: :devil:

QuadJunkies
03-26-2004, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by LTandRaptorider
I'm choking my chicken as we speak! :eek: :devil: :eek: :eek2: :o :devil: LOL!!!!!!!!

LTandRaptorider
03-27-2004, 08:46 AM
:eek: :eek2: :o :devil: LOL!!!!!!!!

I KNEW you were going to do that!!! :D :blah: that's what I would've done... is it a good thing that you think like me?! :eek2: :o

and I left the chicken alone for the evening! :p

markk
03-30-2004, 08:16 AM
After i hit the whooped out section once on the track u get a feel on how they are spaced, and what angle they are sitting in the track! And i found out the best way to hit them is balls out where you just tips your tires off the tops, and the your suspension do all the work for u!

outacontrol31
03-30-2004, 08:24 AM
good shocks help alot, a bad setup back shock can equal disaster in the woops

QCquad83
03-30-2004, 10:51 AM
hold the gas wide open......

supermax99
03-30-2004, 08:22 PM
i tripple/double

stonerider250x
03-30-2004, 08:40 PM
is it better to have a stiffer or softer rear shock on whoops? i have my stock shock set as stiff as it will go. should i set it softer?

outacontrol31
03-31-2004, 08:18 AM
depends on the woops, if it bucks in the woops the rebound is to fast, if it feels like it bottoms out the rebound is to slow, compression facters in there somewhere but to get the compression and rebound in line perfectly is not easy cause as you change one the other is affected, you just gotta start messin with it till you like how it feels, and with a stock shock you may not find the perfect setting you may want to invest in some aftermarket ones if you plan on racing for a long time

airheadedduner
03-31-2004, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by stonerider250x
is it better to have a stiffer or softer rear shock on whoops? i have my stock shock set as stiff as it will go. should i set it softer?
If they are closer together and you are gonna try to skip them the rebound needs to be a little faster, if you are doubleing, slower. I usually just set my preload to the lightest settings unless I can't get what I want with just compression.