PDA

View Full Version : CDI's

Hapnin
03-24-2004, 10:39 AM
What's the best bang for the buck for the 400ex?

hondarider2006
03-24-2004, 10:46 AM
stock:confused:

Hapnin
03-24-2004, 10:51 AM
Really?

foleyit
03-24-2004, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by hondarider2006
stock:confused:

Stock --- That's hilarious. You should do a search on this topic there are a lot of threads that talk about different types of CDIs out there. If you have done any motor work stay away from the White Bros. if you want it to start.

I'm running with a Dynatek ignition and am happy with the results.

Knips178
03-24-2004, 11:16 AM
I read on powroll's site that the stock xr250 cdi is the best for a 400ex. it give an extra 800 rpm and advances the ignition curve. It's cheap to through service honda.

nakomis0
03-24-2004, 11:22 AM
Hey Foley, wha ya pay for that ignition, like $280?

I want that thing, but I cant justify spending that much money for something thats not gonna be much different then my WB cdi, with a degree key.

The only time my WB cdi is hard to start is in the winter. I just run the stock cdi then. But ya I agree ,unless your motor is built and you feel the need for an extra 1000 rpm, I would say stock is the best bang for the buck.

and with that said the WB cdi was the first mod I ever did to my quad., :o

nakomis0
03-24-2004, 11:25 AM
Oh ya thats right, all them cdi boxes are about the same. XR cdis repackaged and sold for alot more.

foleyit
03-24-2004, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by nakomis0
Hey Foley, wha ya pay for that ignition, like $280?

I want that thing, but I cant justify spending that much money for something thats not gonna be much different then my WB cdi, with a degree key.

The only time my WB cdi is hard to start is in the winter. I just run the stock cdi then. But ya I agree ,unless your motor is built and you feel the need for an extra 1000 rpm, I would say stock is the best bang for the buck.

and with that said the WB cdi was the first mod I ever did to my quad., :o

I bought it from Dynatek directly for about $350 with tax and shipping. I agree $350 for an ignition is a lot of money to justify. I go to Dumont and Pismo a lot if I meet up with any of you I'll let you try it out on your quad.

I like it! You can defnitely feel the performance from it. It was the last thing that I upgraded on my 416. For those that are not familar with dynatek, it comes with 4 different curve settings. Settings 1-3 only take your RPMs to 9600 and #4 is a stock setting. I like the fact that it only bumps it out 9600 to keep the valves from floating. It is smilar to Vortex but I heard from Cals400ex that Vortex doesn't have a model for the 400ex.

cals400ex
03-24-2004, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by foleyit
I bought it from Dynatek directly for about $350 with tax and shipping. I agree $350 for an ignition is a lot of money to justify. I go to Dumont and Pismo a lot if I meet up with any of you I'll let you try it out on your quad.

I like it! You can defnitely feel the performance from it. It was the last thing that I upgraded on my 416. For those that are not familar with dynatek, it comes with 4 different curve settings. Settings 1-3 only take your RPMs to 9600 and #4 is a stock setting. I like the fact that it only bumps it out 9600 to keep the valves from floating. It is smilar to Vortex but I heard from Cals400ex that Vortex doesn't have a model for the 400ex.

you could be right considering you have the box but i thought the curves were different. i thought setting 1 was the exact same as stock for timing and rev limit. setting 2 and 3 are both more advanced than stock with the rev limit at 9600. setting 4 is less advanced than stock incase your fuel is too low octane or if the bike is pinging. setting 4 is the one that will get programmed if you buy the programming kit i believe. i am not sure, this is just what i read. yep, the vortex isn't out yet for the 400ex or 250r. cal

foleyit
03-24-2004, 12:03 PM
Hey Cal you are correct with your information, but the curve setting assignments are off. Sorry for any wrong information. Per my curve setting manual. The curve settings are below.

Curve setting #4: is the same as stock but enhanced due to aftermarket component of the ignition.

Curve setting #1 and #2: have more advanced than Curve 4 at low RPM, but have the same final advance at higher RPM.

Curve setting #3: is the same as Curve 4, but with one less degree of timing. With less advance, it is safer to run than the stock curve if you are having problems due to bad fuel, or engine knock.

Knips178
03-24-2004, 12:13 PM
anyone have the xr250 cdi in their 400ex? how does it work? any starting problems?

cals400ex
03-24-2004, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by foleyit
Hey Cal you are correct with your information, but the curve setting assignments are off. Sorry for any wrong information. Per my curve setting manual. The curve settings are below.

Curve setting #4: is the same as stock but enhanced due to aftermarket component of the ignition.

Curve setting #1 and #2: have more advanced than Curve 4 at low RPM, but have the same final advance at higher RPM.

Curve setting #3: is the same as Curve 4, but with one less degree of timing. With less advance, it is safer to run than the stock curve if you are having problems due to bad fuel, or engine knock.

yeah, i guess i was wrong too. i just went back to dyna's site to see what i messed up with. it said everything you said here but the 2 is more advanced than stock in all rpms. sorry about haveing the curve numbers backwards. thanks