PDA

View Full Version : 440 head bolts

joshyz125
03-24-2004, 07:51 AM
Has any body had problems with the head bolts on a 440 engine? The Manual Says they torque at 33lbs. I did that, Then they came lose after a weekend of riding, Then put them at 40 lbs and they came lose again. I'm thinking lock tight might be the answer to this problem.

dirtmomma
03-24-2004, 08:16 AM
If you do a search there was a pretty good thread going about this awhile back. Don't quote me but I think locktite was mentioned ;) Good luck

02 Red Rider
03-24-2004, 08:57 AM
When I replaced my headgasket last weekend I replaced all of the bolts with new and put a dab of Blue Locktite on each before torqing them down.

Jason

JustRace
03-24-2004, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by joshyz125
Has any body had problems with the head bolts on a 440 engine? The Manual Says they torque at 33lbs. I did that, Then they came lose after a weekend of riding, Then put them at 40 lbs and they came lose again. I'm thinking lock tight might be the answer to this problem.

Mine did this and it pulled the stud, it wasn't the nut coming loose it was the stud coming out so be careful about tightning it over and over.

jonc623
03-24-2004, 10:17 AM
stock bolts will not hold in a 440 with out either heli coils or what i did and get the oversize head studs from east coast atv i was told that since the material in the cly was so thin between the studs and sleeve the oversize stud was the best fix plus they are not supposed to stretch like the stock ones will i was having problems with mine and did that problem solved hope this helps and yes lock tight them but not blue use red it holds up to heat and blue does not

Knips178
03-24-2004, 12:23 PM
The stock studs WILL HOLD. It is a common misconception that they will not, but if you talk to some of the engine builders on here I'm sure most will tell you that the stock studs will hold, unless you strip them. The guy doing my engine right now said he's built strokers, big bores and every combo in between and has never had a problem with the stock studs or blown head gaskets.
Now if you stripped the stud holes, than yes helicoil and use larger ones, but you don't need them otherwise.

Hondaluva
03-24-2004, 05:11 PM
So how many foot pounds should I be torquing my stock studs to? I did pick up a new set of stockers just to be safe and plan to use red locktight on them.

Knips178
03-24-2004, 08:15 PM
Well the service manual says 14 lbf-ft but i read some where that you should tighten the to 30.

jonc623
03-24-2004, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by Knips178
The stock studs WILL HOLD. It is a common misconception that they will not, but if you talk to some of the engine builders on here I'm sure most will tell you that the stock studs will hold, unless you strip them. The guy doing my engine right now said he's built strokers, big bores and every combo in between and has never had a problem with the stock studs or blown head gaskets.
Now if you stripped the stud holes, than yes helicoil and use larger ones, but you don't need them otherwise. well i wish i could have used stock studs who everr worked on mine before i got it stripped about every bolt on the top end of the motor and i called lrd and east coast atv and was told by both that the oversize studs are the way to go when the compression is raised over the stock 9 to 1 and there is no heli coil with the larger studs only with stock that wont hold torque i blew 3 head gaskets before i found the real problem which was the stock studs that had been heli coiled so knips178 i hope you dont have problems but i was trying to tell this guy the best way i have found to fix his problem

pairanutz
03-25-2004, 12:23 AM
i run stock studs in my 440 for a year -no problems yet

when i did my 440 mickey dunlap told me to red lock tight them and torgue to 40 lbs

i also had mine timed zerked-for added insurance -i like to be safe then sorry

the only one we have had trouble with is -when my buddy installed the studs after it was bored -it squares the bore- and you might burn oil and loose compresion-eventualy it will blow the head gasket