PDA

View Full Version : More Jetting questions.

SPODEBOY
03-23-2004, 11:19 PM
.....I see a few posts here regerding the HMF products.

My wife's quad is an 02 400EX. I stuck the slip on (HMF) on tonight and dialed in the carb as they specified. Tell me what you guys think about this set up.

165 main
Needle all the way up
air/fuel screw 3,5 turns out.

I ask because I see all the advice talking about everything but the needle and the air/fuel screw?

.....For the guys who know please clue me in. If this was your quad and you just installed this slip on. What jetting changes would you make?

Thanks a bunch guys.
-Spode.
www.SPODEBOY.com

cals400ex
03-24-2004, 12:14 PM
from that info, i would definately make some changes. i have a few questions you need to answer first:
1. whats the temp your riding in?
2. whats your elevation?
3. are you using keihin jets?
4. are you using the stock needle?
5. are you using the stock pilot jet?

SPODEBOY
03-24-2004, 12:58 PM
First of all thanks for replying. I really appreciate it.

We ride at Glamis which is sea level.
It's usually around 70 to 80.
Stock every thing Needles etc.
Kehin jets.

Thanks we are leaving tomorrow I hope to get it dialed.
I am shooting you an email too. So ignor which every one you read second.
-Spode.

cals400ex
03-24-2004, 01:32 PM
alright here we go. this is what i would do to MY bike in your situation:

152 to 155 keihin mainjet
needle clip on factory position (3rd) or one down (4th)
40 or 42 pilot jet with the fuel skrew at 2 turns out

either mainjet should perform about the same. 165 is too big in my opinion. some people run that size with the slip on but they are also hurting their upper gear performance. i probably would leave the needle clip in the stock location in the warmer months and move it down to the 4th position in the cold winter months. a 40 or 42 pilot jet should work fine. if you can't get a hold of one by tomorrow, you could leave the stock one in and leave the fuel skrew at 3 or 3.5 turns out. however, you actually are suppose to get a larger pilot jet if you need to turn it out more than 2.5 turns or so. this is why i would get a 40 or 42 pilot jet when ever you can get to it. good luck

SPODEBOY
03-24-2004, 01:43 PM
Thank you very much.!!

Yeah, I am gonna hit Chaparral on the way down and pick up the pilot and a couple mains..

Again, Thanks.
-Spode.