PDA

View Full Version : 440 wont start

soloithz
03-23-2004, 09:18 PM
My 01' 440 wont start. I replaced the starter and now when I hit the button All I here is the starter spinning. If I hold the button in for a few seconds it makes an attempt to start but it won't turn over. Please Help

TheFontMaster
03-24-2004, 06:51 PM
Sonds like the gears between the starter and the motor arent conected. Take it off and put it back on, and check the gears.

Evan400ex
03-24-2004, 08:43 PM
In order for my 416 to start I have to pump the throttle like 20 times and then hit the start. If I don't my bike will not start. When I first got it back from having the motorwork done I couldn't figure out why it wouldn't start (now I know) . But that may not have anything to do with your bike. :confused:

Knips178
03-25-2004, 09:00 AM
I haven't replaced my starter yet, but if it's like a car, you have to shim the starter just right to get the starter gear to hook up right. or else it will miss the flywheel and just whir. More than likely you either reassembled wrong or the starter gear is moving out and making contact with the flywheel.

quadrider400
03-29-2004, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by Evan400ex
In order for my 416 to start I have to pump the throttle like 20 times and then hit the start. If I don't my bike will not start. When I first got it back from having the motorwork done I couldn't figure out why it wouldn't start (now I know) . But that may not have anything to do with your bike. :confused: If your REV LIMITER is White Bros that would be your problem get rid of it... if you still have the stock one drop it back in and see if it starts better....

quadrider400
03-29-2004, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by soloithz
My 01' 440 wont start. I replaced the starter and now when I hit the button All I here is the starter spinning. If I hold the button in for a few seconds it makes an attempt to start but it won't turn over. Please Help Wondering if your battery is going bad.... that would not give enough power for the starter to fully engage... I would make sure that it is full of water and fully charged... maybe try starting it with the charger hooked up .....
Just my .02 :rolleyes:

Evan400ex
03-30-2004, 11:35 AM
If your REV LIMITER is White Bros that would be your problem get rid of it... if you still have the stock one drop it back in and see if it starts better....

No my rev limiter is not white bros.,..... For some reason I have to pump the gas or when I hit the starter it will just pop and then die. After pumping the throttle it will start right up!

cals400ex
03-30-2004, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by Evan400ex
No my rev limiter is not white bros.,..... For some reason I have to pump the gas or when I hit the starter it will just pop and then die. After pumping the throttle it will start right up!

try a larger pilot jet or richening up the fuel skrew.