PDA

View Full Version : what engine for my 4-stroke tecate???

diesel-mech
03-23-2004, 09:01 PM
Ok guys, (& girls)
I'm going to go with the 4-stroke tecate project & I have to choose the engine I'm going to buy for it! Give me honest advice here! remeber this is to be a trail machine not a full bore racer.
I ride with a few guys on 4x4 quads but also a few hot rods. One guy rides a raptor and I don't have to beat him but I don't want skunked either, Give me your best choices, Gotta be a 4-stroker!!!
If you just don't like the idea, I'm doing it anyway so tough

thomez
03-23-2004, 09:28 PM
I'd buy a CRF or YZ426 quad and put the motor in your Tecate and then part the bike out, wouldn't cost you much for the motor that way - some of those YZ426 bikes are selling cheap nowadays.

diesel-mech
03-24-2004, 05:13 PM
Thats a pretty good plan, hadn't thought of doing that, I was just looking to buy an engine and piece it together. I love mx bikes I wouldn't kill a crf450 I'ld ride it, but the 426 or even a wr400 would be cool, with a wr I can still run a light,We do "night" rides a lot. Thanks for the advice, I wonder if anyone else has a good suggestion?

416exmx
03-24-2004, 06:16 PM
yeah, CRF's are great motors. i have one in a quad frame and love it.. I had a YZF426 quad last year. the YZF426's power seemed to hit harder. The CRF450's power is more mellow and useful... The YZF426's are hard to start. a WR450 would be cool, electric start, and just put a YZ cam and mess with the timming and it wold be pretty quick...

diesel-mech
03-24-2004, 07:08 PM
Well guys I just bought a KLR600 engine for it! maybe I can run with a raptor maybe not, never seen one in a quads chassis before. It does have electric start and lights so thats cool. Was it a wise choice? I really wanted to keep it a true kawasaki. the engine weighs 82lbs so it will still be well under 400lbs total

Juggalo
03-24-2004, 08:45 PM
i'd just like to know why your ruining a tecate chasis. theres not a whole lot of those left and here you are cutting one up. its a classic but the chasis isn't very good to begin with. why not just keep it 2 stroke? or sell it and buy a diff chasis?

deathman53
03-24-2004, 08:58 PM
true, tecates didn't handle all the great next to a 250r, also a world of aftermarket for the 250r's. the main problem with the tecates is they are too short and narrow. I hope you aren't butching the plastic, they are rare now and cost alot, especaily the white and blue ones.

WKY400EX
03-25-2004, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by Juggalo
i'd just like to know why your ruining a tecate chasis. theres not a whole lot of those left and here you are cutting one up. its a classic but the chasis isn't very good to begin with. why not just keep it 2 stroke? or sell it and buy a diff chasis?
I tend to feel the same as Juggalo on this one. See if you can't find a 250X, 300EX, type frame for this engine. I've only seen one Tecate in person. They're rare. I wouldn't cut on it if I were you, but...it is your bike, so do with it what you wish.:(

diesel-mech
03-25-2004, 08:30 PM
Guys the frame has already been cut up!(no I didn't do it) it has no engine! tecate's are rare, I've riden a couple and they actually handle pretty good, I really like the way they ride.Listen I'm building a 100% true kawasaki sport 4-stoke that may not be as fast as a raptor but should be in the running with a preditor and weigh less than 400lbs. there is absolutly no way I will hack up the plastic!!! when I'm done it will look factory! I'm very good at fabrication. and it will still be a tecate, just a 600f instead of a 250r! the engine I have for it is not a ninja or 4 cylinder! its a single cylinder kawasaki dual sport dirt bike engine. I'm going to have the shocks rerated for the extra weight by a local guy who is very good! you can go spend $6,000+ for a quad the anybody can get, I don't care. Mine will be a one of a kind that I will have less than $3,000 invested in (not counting my time)
Love it or hate it, its going to happen!

sly400ex
03-25-2004, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by diesel-mech
Guys the frame has already been cut up!(no I didn't do it) it has no engine! tecate's are rare, I've riden a couple and they actually handle pretty good, I really like the way they ride.Listen I'm building a 100% true kawasaki sport 4-stoke that may not be as fast as a raptor but should be in the running with a preditor and weigh less than 400lbs. there is absolutly no way I will hack up the plastic!!! when I'm done it will look factory! I'm very good at fabrication. and it will still be a tecate, just a 600f instead of a 250r! the engine I have for it is not a ninja or 4 cylinder! its a single cylinder kawasaki dual sport dirt bike engine. I'm going to have the shocks rerated for the extra weight by a local guy who is very good! you can go spend $6,000+ for a quad the anybody can get, I don't care. Mine will be a one of a kind that I will have less than $3,000 invested in (not counting my time)
Love it or hate it, its going to happen!

Sounds good, it's your bike, you do what YOU want! Can you get us some progress pics???:)

440exnacsracer
03-25-2004, 09:27 PM
yea, i think he plans on doing what he wants! lol, but good luck, sounds like it will end up being an awesome trail bike, dont know if it will hang with the raptor, but it will be nice that you built it all yourself,...good luck though.;)

03-25-2004, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by sly400ex
Can you get us some progress pics???:) that would be sweet

WKY400EX
03-26-2004, 07:32 AM
I guess if it's already been cut up, go for it! And get pics.:D

diesel-mech
03-27-2004, 09:29 AM
What??? support??? you guys are actually backing me up???

Just kidding! If the quad was complete in the first place I would have left it alone! I promise to keep it looking like a tecate. As for pics? I'm probably the last guy on the planet to own a digital camera or scanner. Guess I need to get one. I'll see what I can do about pics. Talked to the guy I bought the engine from, He is very excited about this engine in a quad. He said the bike would climb hills like a rocketship if you could control the power. and it would run all day long on 3 gallons of 92oct. My buddy with a raptor wants to line they up already! (we'll see tough guy!) ... I'll probably get smoked!!;)