PDA

View Full Version : polishing swing arm...

Tommy 17
03-09-2002, 08:35 PM
i have a few questions about this bc i decided my frames gettin powder coated from chris soon as i get back from the ride with norm... i am gettin mine just like his wifes 250r....

i want a chrome swing arm but i want to polish it... how hard is it to do this, is there any tricks to doin it, how long should it take, and once i do this will it ever go back or will it always stay polished.... thanks a million guyz...

CBW
03-09-2002, 08:44 PM
The 400ex swing arm has a rough cast texture on it that will have to be smoothed with a medium sanding disc,,,not anything real course like a grinder) so it is same "level" otherwise the light will be reflected in various directions, and pits will show... ,,,,and not give a "mirror" finish......then use 400 wet or dry paper to get the major scratches out before buffin with tripoli compound that has minor cutting capabilities to get the scuff markd from the sandpaper.....then finish up with white rouge to get the final brightness..........that is how i did my motor mounts......rubbing with a polish like "mothers" really isnt going to make it look the way you want.........and unless it is clear coated it will tarnish......

the light is bad.......but here is my motor mounts......

Tommy 17
03-09-2002, 08:51 PM
wow that was fast...

it harder then i thought, i did my motor mounts on my 400 and i didn't do half that stuff... i guess i may just get this one guy to do it for me bc i know i will screw all them steps up...

CBW
03-09-2002, 08:57 PM
well there is probably other ways to do it.........but that way will yeild the best results......and it would take a long time...that is why i bought myself a buffing motor with two 10" wheels....but there is also others who say that way doesnt produce a mirror finish...........i havent had any problems...and all my stuff reflects like chrome.....;) :D :p

EDIT:....i guess anothew way to put is that my motor mounts and oil filter cap look just like the finish on polished aluminum rims which is about as good as aluminum will get ......unless you chrome it:D

Tommy 17
03-09-2002, 09:05 PM
chris do u polish parts to bc if u do mayb i will just send my swing arm 2 and u can polish it if u do... if so pm me... and i looked at ups it was 47$ i think to ship my frame and sub to ur house...

CBW
03-09-2002, 09:08 PM
here is another view.......but nothing acts like sunlight....especially indoors:D

CBW
03-09-2002, 09:20 PM
what about this color..........??

RoostinOna400ex
03-09-2002, 09:56 PM
Is that also how you do you engine mounts?? What all can you do that too?? I want to crome a lot of things but i dont want to spend the money!!! :D

RoostinOna400ex
03-09-2002, 09:58 PM
I was saying that to chris waters

CBW
03-09-2002, 10:07 PM
i polish mostly aluminum.... but all metals can be polished from hard metals like steel, and stainless steel, to all the soft metals like brass copper, aluminum, zinc.......etc.........
but on a quad aluminum is good to polish and the steel pieces chromed, painted or powdercoated.........just my two cents worth..........:)

RoostinOna400ex
03-09-2002, 10:35 PM
do you crome anything ?? the egine mounts arent aluminum!

CBW
03-09-2002, 10:39 PM
on a 400 the engine mounts are aluminum........and sorry i havent got a chroming kit..........not yet anyway......:D :D

EDIT: I did the motor mounts on the pics i posted....it is a 2000 400ex...send um......they will look like chrome......

RoostinOna400ex
03-10-2002, 09:02 AM
I have a 2001 400ex, how much , how long , and where do you live ?? If you want pm me !!

RoostinOna400ex
03-10-2002, 09:03 AM
Also what else can you do??

CBW
03-10-2002, 09:06 AM
here is my rear caliper i did.............

Foxrage
03-10-2002, 07:32 PM
Chris you need to take 5 minutes out of your day and make up a price sheet of everything you do so i know how much to save for to send ya:D

RytM1
03-10-2002, 07:42 PM
Polishing looks great, but there is a lot of work involved in maintaining it. I had a bunch of parts polished on my old sportbike, and I will never do it again. Chroming is more expensive, but when it comes to clean-up, the time savings is worth it. Clear-coating polished aluminum will also lose you 15-20% of the shine.

CBW
03-10-2002, 08:03 PM
if i lived in a more humid climate.......and did not keep all my stuff indoors......i would have it chromed ......but i also like keeping the aluminum shiny.........what else is there to do when you are done riding..........:p

03-11-2002, 10:02 AM
Send your motor mounts to me if ya want them chromed...$30,,that doesn't include shipping.

RoostinOna400ex
03-11-2002, 05:35 PM
I am debating if I should get my engine mounts and oil tank cromed or polished!! Rico how much can you crome those for?? Chris Waters how much can you polish those for?? Rico I also want a few bolts cromed for me how much is it for about a handful of bolts??? Chris I live in a moist environment should i not get my stuff polished?? Chris I still want my brake caliber polished and my oil filter cover powder coated!!

CBW
03-11-2002, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by NACS400EX
Chris you need to take 5 minutes out of your day and make up a price sheet of everything you do so i know how much to save for to send ya:D

I sent you three pm's..........:D

BANSHEEadam
03-11-2002, 08:58 PM
I'm with Nacs.. I'm sure alot of other people are too. If you get a chance to do it, a price sheet would be awesome. It will be a while before I can actually do any of that, but as soon as I can I will! It would save you time in the long run with all these back and forth posts, too!
Thanks

CBW
03-11-2002, 09:11 PM
sent a pm to ya..............:p ........you guys are right....all this typing bites.....

03-12-2002, 09:52 PM
Chris please send me a list too, thanx.

xtrememxrider
03-14-2002, 07:24 AM
Hey chris what sre these things use use? tripoli compound and white rouge. I polished my whole engine and swing arm on my rm 250 but never heard of this. Could you tell me what it does and where to get some. Im currently working on redoing everything on my ex. Im polishing the bottom end of my engine, motor mounts, oil cooler, swing arm, and all the heads on my bolts.