PDA

View Full Version : uh oh!!! now what do i do?

1Fast2003-400EX
03-23-2004, 06:51 PM
ok, well guys i was installing my curtis sparks degree key today, and everything was going good till i started installing the flywheel again. i turned it to the left as your supposed to. and i was tightning the bolt up with my impact, and snap went the bolt. F**K!!!! i looked in between the crank and the flywheel and there was still 3/16"-1/4" until the flywheel was against. so i used the flywheel puller and pulled the flywheel off. what does everyone suggest i do? or if this happened to you what did you do? i tried drilling the center of the bolt to use an eazyout but the bolt seams really hardened or my bits are just dull. Please give me suggestions guys. THANKS

mustang93
03-25-2004, 03:58 PM
have someone weld a nut on the end of the broken bolt and un screw it. or if its sticking out a little use a dremel cutoff wheel and put a slot in it that a screw driver will fit in then use one of those $10 impact screw drivers you hit with a hammer to free it up

Florida400EX
03-25-2004, 04:09 PM
If you have a torch or something, heat it up, then try to drill it out. If that doesn't work, then I guess your next best bet is to take it to a good shop, and have them get it out, because that way you know if they mess it up, they're responcible.

1Fast2003-400EX
03-25-2004, 04:53 PM
well the torch idea is the only really possible idea. i thought of it already and amworried that it might mess up some bearings maybe? not sure. i know they are all metal bearing in there. and when heated up they expand. and maybe it could mess up the crank becuase of the heat. maybe make it wobble a little or something. im going to try to use some better drill bits. but it's kinda hard becuase im only using 1 hand as of now. i had a tendon transfer due to a bad vehicle accident i had in aug. of 03. But i dont give up, im still doing as much as possible till it's healed. but one hand drilling really stinks. maybe i'll just let it sit till i can use both hands. but thanks for the suggestions

mustang93
03-25-2004, 06:14 PM
I wouldnt do the torch thing, if you heat the bolt red hot with the torch to make the bolt softer think about what your gonna do to the hardend crank its stuck in. if you are dead set on the drill thing use a colbalt bit. I dont know how good of a tradesmen you are but if you lack experiance I wouldnt try the drill thig to many risks (drilling off center/ killing the treads or breaking the extractor off in the whole) find someone with a mig welder badabing badaboom its out