PDA

View Full Version : how do i hook up my kill switch?

660bigdaddy
03-23-2004, 06:34 PM
now that racer productions is checking kill switches at the gncc's, does anyone know which wire i use to hook up mine? :eek2:

03-23-2004, 06:42 PM
take the ground to the frame somwhere. take the other wire to the pure white wire on the bottom set of wires coming from your CDI box!

5valves
03-23-2004, 07:46 PM
So? you are saying to ground the wire feeding the Magneto which looks to me like it leads back to the CDI box and is on the primary side of the coil?

xcyfz450
03-23-2004, 09:13 PM
DO NOT ground it like that u will burn up your wiring harness seen it first hand at gncc race this weekend u have two options

first buy the baldwin motorsports wiring kit give them a call its pretty cheap

or do wat i did remove the starter/light/kill switch on the left of the handle bar then buy a yz dirt bike kill switch to hook up as your starter butter then hook your teather switch up to the wires that use to go to the old kill switch assembly any questions let me know

5valves
03-24-2004, 01:43 AM
wow
someone with some smarts
I have another option. get a pengel N/C switch witch is made for ignition kill switches, and wire it in series with your factory off button.
do it with water proof connecters that are avaliable at any parts store.
works great. and no dead battery problems

intruder
03-24-2004, 03:18 AM
We have come to learn that standard tether-cord kill switches do not work on the Yamaha YFZ450. They require a wiring harness. We know of one source of the kill switch for Yamahas: Earlywine Racing. Call them at 606-883-3098 if you shop doesn't have what you need. When was this learned and my sons was hooked up by the dealer we got it from it's a pro design. Should we not use this?

660bigdaddy
03-24-2004, 03:30 PM
or do wat i did remove the starter/light/kill switch on the left of the handle bar then buy a yz dirt bike kill switch to hook up as your starter butter then hook your teather switch up to the wires that use to go to the old kill switch assembly any questions let me know
hey xcyfz450,

this is what we are doing on my buddy's bike. does it matter which wire goes to what from the stock kill switch to the newl switch? thanks for any info you can provide....don't want my quad to burn to the ground:eek2:

Aussiequadrider
03-27-2004, 03:08 PM
After telling so many guys how to connect your kill switch to the solid white wire, this way is disabled when you install a vortex cdi.

So I've worked out a better way that works for both cdi.
Follow the wires up from the oil filler plug (four wires) to just before the first connector (under the hood) the wires separate into pairs.
Pick the white/red pair and splice the longest wire out of the kill switch into the white wire and the short wire from the k/switch into the red wire.
No need to earth any wire.

Good luck, Geoff.

CatMostFeared
03-27-2004, 07:13 PM
will that work because and kill switch is a closed loop and makes its connection when its pulled off:confused:

TRX Smoker
03-27-2004, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by CatMostFeared
will that work because and kill switch is a closed loop and makes its connection when its pulled off:confused:
I tried it that way and it did not work. Im gonna buy the Baldwin adapter.

CatMostFeared
03-27-2004, 11:51 PM
Its the solid white wire that you can hook to your kill switch and the other end to the ground this work fine.:cool:

Aussiequadrider
03-28-2004, 12:39 AM
Originally posted by TRX Smoker
I tried it that way and it did not work. Im gonna buy the Baldwin adapter.

If you did it my way and it did not work , you did something wrong.
It has allready been proven by so many, it is free and it works on all cdi.

Geoff.

AlaskaSpeed
04-01-2004, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by Aussiequadrider
If you did it my way and it did not work , you did something wrong.
It has allready been proven by so many, it is free and it works on all cdi.

Geoff.

It works...I have mine wired this way.....JIM

racer113
04-07-2004, 08:26 AM
the white wire, not the white wire with a black tracer, It is very easy to find, don't go out and buy some stupid adaptor and waste money on nothing,

If you still can't get it there is a picture on Doug Gust's web site.

yamahaCal
04-07-2004, 05:29 PM
Yea... I smoked a wiring harness hooking it to the frame and the solid white wire... bad idea.

04-07-2004, 06:36 PM
Yea... I smoked a wiring harness hooking it to the frame and the solid white wire... bad idea.

Then that means that baldwin's adapter are a piece of crap too. that is exactly what they do they just ahve a harness so you don't have to cut any wires.

SRH
04-11-2004, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by GNCCer
Then that means that baldwin's adapter are a piece of crap too. that is exactly what they do they just ahve a harness so you don't have to cut any wires.

thats what i was thinking too, i heard pingry will hook rigth into the wires for the stock toggle run button, where can i look at the pingry ones is there such a thing?, fromw hat i understand the yamaha works backwwards from what the pro design is designed for

Clutch123
04-11-2004, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by AlaskaSpeed
It works...I have mine wired this way.....JIM

I 3rd That... just hooked mine up yesterday and followed aussie directions:D

BUCK442
04-14-2004, 09:23 AM
Me to; Long to white, short to ground. No meltdown after 6hrs of riding. PD switch. You can alos find this in a copy of Dirt Wheels in the issue about hopping up the YFZ, they used they same switch and method.

powerstroke
04-15-2004, 06:21 PM
my pro design has been around a while and both wires are cut to the same length. which wire is ground?????